Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Dec 2011 (Friday) 14:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filmed My First Wedding Cinematic

yummy_waffles
428 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 30, 2011 14:09 |  #1

Hello! For 2012 I'm probably going to cool off on booking weddings as a photographer and focus more on filming weddings.

With the amazing help of my g/f's, we were able to film a wedding for the first time, and I would love to get some feedback. Feel free to tear me a new one if you think it's awful. It's the only way you'll ever learn, right? :)

http://vimeo.com/34355​883 (external link) or http://perfectpearwedd​ing.com/archives/1108 (external link)

Thanks!

The Perfect Pear (external link)
www.danekhy.com (external link)

sponsored links
p27rpy
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2011 15:02 |  #2

great work, i just got done watching the whole video! overall i think you did a great job, especially for your first time filming a wedding.

a few things i noticed, for CC...keep in mind that i am trying to nitpick a bit to give you as much to work with as possible. not trying to be overly critical or anything. (in the sequence of the video):

• the first few pans during the opening scene with the letter are a touch too fast for me. just a nitpick, really, but just thought you might want to know since your viewers may feel the same. i like the slow, more controlled pans in the rest of the video.

• i'd like a little more video with the dress, especially up close to show the detail. it personally doesn't bother me, but i know that the bride wants to show off the dress that she so carefully picked out. maybe some shots of it up close in the sunlight to show beading and other textures, etc. i really like how you displayed it however!

• i really like the "BTS" shots of the venue being setup. fits very nicely in the video.

• 1:08-1:12 is a bit more of the panning that i think its too abrupt.

• i wish i'd seen more of the bride's face as she was getting ready. the groom's getting ready set is very good, but i'd cut the part after 1:52 where you pan away super fast as if you meant to stop recording.

• really like how you built the suspense with the pianist and the people coming into the room etc before the ceremony. the running along the floor shot at 2:34 is awesome. more of this whenever possible!

• i am pretty confused as to why their introduction at the reception, their first dance and more comes BEFORE the exchanging of vows/rings and the kiss. it confused me when i was watching it for the first time, and i thought the video was about to end without the kiss! i'd leave it in chronological order if it were my deal to avoid confusion.

• the long shot starting at 2:53 is AWESOME. the lighting and the mood is perfect. they're going to love that shot. i think it would have been an awesome way to end the video.

• great job getting some of the candid moments after the dance. very nice.

• the video of the ceremony is all great. i just wish it would have been BEFORE the dance parts!

that's about all i've got. hopefully it helps! once again, you did an awesome job and i'm sure they will be really happy with the results.

Theo Civitello - Houston Based Automotive, Wedding & Life Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
My Blog - Latest uploads and detailed Strobist info! (external link)

RazorbackSam
353 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2011 12:13 |  #3

I don't disagree with anything that was said here... overall wonderful for your first!

p27rpy wrote in post #13621585 (external link)
great work, i just got done watching the whole video! overall i think you did a great job, especially for your first time filming a wedding.

a few things i noticed, for CC...keep in mind that i am trying to nitpick a bit to give you as much to work with as possible. not trying to be overly critical or anything. (in the sequence of the video):

• the first few pans during the opening scene with the letter are a touch too fast for me. just a nitpick, really, but just thought you might want to know since your viewers may feel the same. i like the slow, more controlled pans in the rest of the video.

• i'd like a little more video with the dress, especially up close to show the detail. it personally doesn't bother me, but i know that the bride wants to show off the dress that she so carefully picked out. maybe some shots of it up close in the sunlight to show beading and other textures, etc. i really like how you displayed it however!

• i really like the "BTS" shots of the venue being setup. fits very nicely in the video.

• 1:08-1:12 is a bit more of the panning that i think its too abrupt.

• i wish i'd seen more of the bride's face as she was getting ready. the groom's getting ready set is very good, but i'd cut the part after 1:52 where you pan away super fast as if you meant to stop recording.

• really like how you built the suspense with the pianist and the people coming into the room etc before the ceremony. the running along the floor shot at 2:34 is awesome. more of this whenever possible!

• i am pretty confused as to why their introduction at the reception, their first dance and more comes BEFORE the exchanging of vows/rings and the kiss. it confused me when i was watching it for the first time, and i thought the video was about to end without the kiss! i'd leave it in chronological order if it were my deal to avoid confusion.

• the long shot starting at 2:53 is AWESOME. the lighting and the mood is perfect. they're going to love that shot. i think it would have been an awesome way to end the video.

• great job getting some of the candid moments after the dance. very nice.

• the video of the ceremony is all great. i just wish it would have been BEFORE the dance parts!

that's about all i've got. hopefully it helps! once again, you did an awesome job and i'm sure they will be really happy with the results.

[Canon 7D | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | 18-135 3.5~5.6 IS | 28mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 | Manfrotto 055XPROB Legs - 222 Head | Manfrotto 060B MonoPod
www.settlephotos.com (external link)

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2011 12:50 as a reply to  @ RazorbackSam's post |  #4

Terrific work! You can video my wedding anytime.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 01, 2012 03:58 |  #5

I only know the basics of film so can't offer you much critique but I can say it held my attention & if I was your client I'd be happy to pay for work like that.

Did you use a glidecam?

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

Autonomous
720 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 01, 2012 10:55 as a reply to  @ MesserschmittMan's post |  #6

the color feels a bit.. muted?
while the video isn't bad, next time you can try something more creative, take risks rather than just shooting the regular stuffs. :)
happy new year

18-55IS, 28-105USM, 50 f/1.8, 60 f/2.8,
finally 70-200L f/4!!:cool:
never thought in a million i'd get me a 7D.bw!

Fleet ­ of ­ Foot
36 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 04, 2012 13:40 |  #7

I'd say the same thing about the sequencing. Why show them entering the reception, and then go back to the ceremony?

Overall it's great, though.

sponsored links

1,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filmed My First Wedding Cinematic
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.