Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 13:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon vs Nikon Speed Light Question/Thought

Dustman
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jan 15, 2012 13:56 |  #1

I am just curious as to what everyone here on POTN thinks. I am not thinking of switching at all, just was thinking, after continually hearing Nikon's Flash system is superior to Canons. ( I use Canon, but am not bias either way )

So I have heard & read many many times online & in print exactly that, that Nikons CLS system is far better than Canons. I am just curious as to why this is said?? Why do some people think this??

As far as I know in Nikons system, when you adjust Exposure Compensation on the camera, it adjusts the flash Exposure Compensations too, so lets say you just want to adjust ambient and keep the flash power where it is at. For example you use ExComp -2 in camera, and then you would also have to go to +2 to get your flash back where it was (seems like an extra step)

So basically I am thinking, the Canon seems better in my opinion that you control ambient & flash independently of each other. This is better for me in my opinion.

So is this just an opinion thing, and most people just prefer the way the Nikon system works, and I am in the minority, and prefer Canons, having control of both exposures independently......or does Nikon offer something that I am unaware of, that I missing??

Thanks for everyones time & input, I appreciate it.

www.DustinLevine.comexternal link

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jan 15, 2012 16:22 |  #2

It is exactly the same as the canon system for the most part. The canon system is easier if you are using a 580ex II and/or newer body that can control it all from the camera it is easier to use the the nikon system. The big thing with the nikon system and why it is more used is because most of their camera bodies have built in triggers, but now canon is doing the same with the 7D, 60D, and T3i have it integrated with the built in flash.

In my opinion, the canon menu is so much easier to use then the nikon menu on the flashes. The SB-700/900/910 have a massively improved menu but to me, it is still a bit hard to use. Now for CLS it is slightly less confusing then the canon but not by much and canon's flash control hands down wins.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Malaysia
Jan 15, 2012 21:28 |  #3

i'll be honest with you at this point that i'm not exactly unbiased regarding which small flash system is superior :lol: (thanks to people like joe mcnally, michael greenberg and louis pang) They've definitely influence me during a workshop that i participated a year ago.

Here's what i've learn;

- The sb 900 is capable of zooming into 200mm
- More external switches, a better implementation than canon's "hold this for 2 seconds and turn that"
- Cls thus far is more solid than canon's
- The sb 900 (not sure bout others) comes with gel holder (not sure but gel though) and the flash head is capable of reading the gel temperature
- Nikon's ttl sync cord is longer (i have the canon's one... the length of it gives a lot more to be desired :S)

I might have missed out a few things because to be honest those are the important bits to me.

I'll say that canon flash system as a whole leaves a lot to be desired, however as you can see those little things have not help me justify a system switch... yet :lol:

Nicholas

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Go Ducks!
Jan 15, 2012 22:08 |  #4

The only thing I've heard about the sb900 that I wish Canon would be better at is how the sb900 is great at mixing ambient and flash.

the siteexternal link
the blogexternal link
Smugmugexternal link
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Jan 15, 2012 22:14 |  #5

Somebody has done the hardwork for you....

http://www.timothyarme​s.com ...-flash-systems-revisited/external link

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Dustman
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jan 15, 2012 22:50 |  #6

maverick678 wrote in post #13710959external link
Somebody has done the hardwork for you....

http://www.timothyarme​s.com ...-flash-systems-revisited/external link

Very good article, and point of view, thanks for the link............both systems have pros & cons, and depending on each individual person, and how you work, both have advantages & disadvantages.........​....neither is superior than the other.

Dustman
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jan 15, 2012 22:53 |  #7

Being able to control Ambient & Flash independently is the deal breaker for me. I can't see myself adjusting Exposure Compensation, and than having to adjust Flash Excomp aswell to compensate all the time.

tim
Light Bringer
50,840 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 16, 2012 02:04 |  #8

Nikon has independent EC and FEC, the only difference is Total FEC = EC + FEC. So EC + 1 and FEC - 2 means in Canon speak you'd have EC + 1 and FEC - 1. I have two SB900, 580 v1, 550, and I sold a 580 v2 when I switched to Nikon.

Both systems work fine, if you understand them. With Canon you need to ride the EC/FEC more. With Nikon it seems you need less (F)EC. I haven't used their multi flash system, I use radio triggers.

Overall, if you know what you're doing, both are fine. Nikons is slightly easier, more automated.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon vs Nikon Speed Light Question/Thought
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.