Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of January 2012 (Sat)   #1
davidfitness83

Default Shooting a baby shower help !

Just helping out a friend and i will taking photos of the event. I am not getting paid or anything but what would you suggest for the lighting and lenses. I have the kit lens, nifty
50 and a 430 ex speed light. Should I work bouncing the light aboard the ceiling or should I use the diffuser. I also have a mini softbox, no off camera flashes yet but I'm hoping to take some good shots. I am little worried about the light.
davidfitness83 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of January 2012 (Sun)   #2
Justaddwata

Default Re: Shooting a baby shower help !

Going to depend a lot on the location, available light, etc. I would take it all and make a determination as to what is working as you go.
Justaddwata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of January 2012 (Sun)   #3
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

I moved this to TALK as you don't have an image to SHARE yet.

I think the 430 should be fine. Diffusers are okay, but off the ceiling is better. And if the room is lit well, no flash is necessary at all. The 50 should work fine. Best advice I ever got was to practice first in the room you are shooting in at the same time of day as the event. Then you don't have to guess when it happens.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of January 2012 (Sun)   #4
Christopher Steven b
Goldmember

What is the venue ? a home, a restaurant, a hall ?

The baby showers I have shot were in a hall, and I basically bounced off the ceiling all night and then when we did the group shots I brought out an umbrella on a stand with a 430ex, which definitely has sufficient power for this kind of job.

Something to watch out for: if the ceilings are higher than a couple of meters, still bounce up but throw a little light forward with a bounce card extending maybe an 1.5" or more up from the flash. You'll know bouncing straight up with no card isn't working when you notice raccoon-ing (harsh shadows) of the eyes.

Even while bouncing your flash I would plan on shooting the majority of the evening at ISO800 and somewhere between f/2.5-f/4. Drop the shutterspeed if you want to drag some ambient and create a sense of movement (especially during dancing sequence. Take a test shot, if there isn't an overwhelming amount of ambient in the image, open up a little more = longer shutterspeed).

Another tip: get in early if you can and photograph the details; it will be near to impossible to do so once the action starts.

good luck !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

Ottawa Wedding Photography Site | Ottawa Wedding Photographer Blog

Christopher Steven b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of January 2012 (Mon)   #5
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

You got some great advice already. Bring extra batteries and CF cards.
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote