Shooting a baby shower help !

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 14 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 06:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

davidfitness83
Joined Nov 2011
84 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just helping out a friend and i will taking photos of the event. I am not getting paid or anything but what would you suggest for the lighting and lenses. I have the kit lens, nifty
50 and a 430 ex speed light. Should I work bouncing the light aboard the ceiling or should I use the diffuser. I also have a mini softbox, no off camera flashes yet but I'm hoping to take some good shots. I am little worried about the light.

Post #1, Jan 14, 2012 06:50:57

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Justaddwata
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,322 posts
Stralian - In Rhode IsIand
[MORE/SHARE]

Going to depend a lot on the location, available light, etc. I would take it all and make a determination as to what is working as you go.

Post #2, Jan 15, 2012 03:50:52

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I moved this to TALK as you don't have an image to SHARE yet.

I think the 430 should be fine. Diffusers are okay, but off the ceiling is better. And if the room is lit well, no flash is necessary at all. The 50 should work fine. Best advice I ever got was to practice first in the room you are shooting in at the same time of day as the event. Then you don't have to guess when it happens.

Post #3, Jan 15, 2012 09:21:05

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
3,545 posts
Ottawa, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

What is the venue ? a home, a restaurant, a hall ?

The baby showers I have shot were in a hall, and I basically bounced off the ceiling all night and then when we did the group shots I brought out an umbrella on a stand with a 430ex, which definitely has sufficient power for this kind of job.

Something to watch out for: if the ceilings are higher than a couple of meters, still bounce up but throw a little light forward with a bounce card extending maybe an 1.5" or more up from the flash. You'll know bouncing straight up with no card isn't working when you notice raccoon-ing (harsh shadows) of the eyes.

Even while bouncing your flash I would plan on shooting the majority of the evening at ISO800 and somewhere between f/2.5-f/4. Drop the shutterspeed if you want to drag some ambient and create a sense of movement (especially during dancing sequence. Take a test shot, if there isn't an overwhelming amount of ambient in the image, open up a little more = longer shutterspeed).

Another tip: get in early if you can and photograph the details; it will be near to impossible to do so once the action starts.

good luck !

Post #4, Jan 15, 2012 12:48:34

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.comexternal link| Blogexternal link

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,557 posts
Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

You got some great advice already. Bring extra batteries and CF cards.

Post #5, Jan 16, 2012 12:22:07

http://steelcityphotog​raphy.zenfolio.com/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
715 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a baby shower help !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES