Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 17 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 09:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Another silly question about using 580EX II wirelessly...

dawnkyung
944 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 17, 2012 09:23 |  #1

Okay, so I have a 580EX II on the way. Also a set of Cybersyncs (1 trigger, 1 receiver). I've used my Vivitar flash off-camera before - mounted the flash to a yougno receiver and then mounted the receiver to the shoe mount clamp and the clamp onto the lightstand.

My question is...I know that the cybersyncs use a cable to connect to the 580 EX II - do I mount the flash directly onto the shoe mount clamp?

Thanks for any help.

dawn | 29 | gear

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jan 17, 2012 09:26 |  #2

No, but it does come with the correct cable so that at least you dont have to purchase.

You will need what is called a cold shoe or a flash bracket for it.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010
TEXAS
Jan 17, 2012 09:27 |  #3

the 580exII comes with a plastic stand that also has a mounting hole threaded into the bottom of it, for mounting on a light stand, assuming you have to use the cable vs hot shoe trigger.

dawnkyung
THREAD ­ STARTER
944 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 17, 2012 09:30 as a reply to Flores's post |  #4

Thanks! It's not here yet, so I couldn't check - wanted to make sure that if i needed to order something extra, I knew ahead of time.

:)

dawn | 29 | gear

dawnkyung
THREAD ­ STARTER
944 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 17, 2012 09:35 as a reply to dawnkyung's post |  #5

What if you're using a clamp, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com ...TF8&qid=1326814452&​sr=1-3external link

I use an umbrella with my flashes, usually. Can I mount the 580EX II to this clamp using the stand it comes with so I can use an umbrella as well?

dawn | 29 | gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 17, 2012 09:38 |  #6

dawnkyung wrote in post #13718972external link
What if you're using a clamp, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com ...TF8&qid=1326814452&​sr=1-3external link

I use an umbrella with my flashes, usually. Can I mount the 580EX II to this clamp using the stand it comes with so I can use an umbrella as well?

Yes, thats what its made for. Just slide the flash into that cold shoe and lock it down with the screw thread, you will be fine. Just make sure that the contacts on the flash dont hit the metal of the shoe mount, They shouldnt in that one.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 17, 2012 09:40 |  #7

You can rubber band or velcro the cybersync reciever to your flash, or the stand,

sponsored links

620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another silly question about using 580EX II wirelessly...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.