Thread started 03 Feb 2012 (Friday) 18:57   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Mick ­ Emmett
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
Kippax, Nr Leeds,Yorkshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

I've done a few searches and found quite a few posts but not got any real answers, is there anywhere I can get a decent Wedding Photobook. I've been using Bob Books but there's only so far you can go with them. I'm looking for the quality of Queensbury but from someone that doesn't want to know your life history and when you last changed your underwear. I do a few Weddings every year but I'm not a pro and don't run a photography business, I want something better than the usual hard back book. I'd like to offer people a nice embossed leather bound book with a nice case but none of the "Public Serving" Photo Book producers seem to do anything like that. Does anyone know any company that us mere mortals can access without selling our souls to the Devil that does better than normal Photo Books?

Post #1, Feb 03, 2012 18:57:26

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
3,571 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

When you are looking for books quality similar to queeensbury, there are not many options. Queensbury is fairly stand alone in their quality (and price).

There are SO many other album manufacturers though, and many threads on here about who uses what. I use Leather Craftsmen and have used Millers in the past and they are both nice (I like LC better).

I dont exactly remember QB's process, but dont remember it being any different than any other album manufactures. They want to make sure you are a professional, and they need information to prove it.

Post #2, Feb 03, 2012 19:13:08

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photographyexternal link
Red Tie Photography Blogexternal link

Mick ­ Emmett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The point is that I'm not a Professional Photographer, I'm a mechanic by trade but work has dropped off so much here in the UK that I'm having to do other things to make ends meet. What was an enjoyable hobby for me is now supplementing my income, believe me I don't do this willingly but if things don't pick up soon I'll have to do more and more of it and may have to make it my main job. Most of the Weddings I do are of the "Budget Type" in nature and customers are happy with hard back books and a slide show set to their favourite music on DVD, I'm looking for a better product to offer them as I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying extra for a nicely bound book/album. I'll try the one you mention, I've looked at so many but their product range seems to stop before it gets to the quality I'm looking for. Thanks for replying.

Post #3, Feb 04, 2012 04:19:33

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
3,571 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

You pay for quality, and you pass that on to your clients. I havent seen many photographers sell a high quality album for less than $1000. If you are looking to sell it cheaper, you are going to need to go with cheaper materials.

Mpix has some decent books. I use millers for my engagement books and they are the same company basically from my understanding. Millers just offers a much better selection.

Post #4, Feb 04, 2012 13:11:39

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link

Peacefield
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
4,019 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Take a look at Zookbinders. Certainly not in the Queensbury tier, but a very high quality photobook priced right and sold and supported by a good company.

Post #5, Feb 05, 2012 05:45:58

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links
Mick ­ Emmett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had a look at Zookbinders but again you have to sign up with them; and then they want to get in touch with you. Too many questions, they would be perfect if I could just download them my design and my shots; give them my card number and they send me out the finished product like the lower end books do. A quick uncomplicated process from start to finish is what I'm after (preferably in Britain or Europe). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Post #6, Feb 05, 2012 08:41:42

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

bfleck51
Joined Jan 2009
400 posts
Chicago,southside
[MORE/SHARE]

Check out shutterfly.com

Post #7, Feb 05, 2012 08:46:51

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/external link
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
3,571 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

Again, pro album manufactures do not want to make this simple for people that arent in business. They have an obligation to their professional clients to not provide their products to the general public, which would (and has) cause(d) a outcry from professionals.

Its just like saying I wish I could get this car wholesale without having a dealer license. If you want high end products from people delivering to professionals, you need to be a professional yourself.

Post #8, Feb 05, 2012 15:03:41

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link

Mick ­ Emmett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

As I said I'm a mechanic by trade though photography has been my hobby for a long time , due to the recession more people have turned to DIY car servicing but I'm not going to the dealerships demanding they don't sell spark plugs or oil to the general public. Smacks a little of protectionism to me. As for being a professional myself, I don't do it for free but I'm not ready to jump in with both feet just yet.

Post #9, Feb 05, 2012 15:41:55

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

jonwhite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,279 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sim2000 supply similar photo books to what Graphistudio do ... both these companies only supply to professional photographers but Sim2000 also has a company that deals direct with bride and grooms/Joe Public.

http://www.thephotoboo​kcompany.co.uk/external link

It caused a bit of resentment amongst pro photographers when they originally launched it but I guess they reason that so many photographers are supplying images on disk these days its just another market to supply.

Post #10, Feb 05, 2012 17:55:45

Wedding Portfolio Websiteexternal link | Wedding Photographer Blogexternal link

Mick ­ Emmett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Jon, that company seems very promising.

Post #11, Feb 05, 2012 18:49:59

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
omnom
Joined Jan 2009
364 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Finao - http://www.finaoonline​.com/external link (I use them)
Vision Art - http://www.visionart.c​om/external link
KISS - http://kissweddingbook​s.com/external link
Olive Album Co. - http://www.olivealbumc​o.com/external link (a new local company founded by a friend)

Most of them require you to be a pro, but if you don't mind ordering from Ontario, Olive will be your best bet. Tell em I sent ya ;)

Post #12, Feb 05, 2012 19:44:52

MGiddings ­ Photography
Joined Mar 2010
953 posts
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

You do get what you pay for. I do not offer photobooks to clients as I feel they are not good enough for a wedding album. Everything I offer to clients has a lifetime guarantee. Check out MTA.

Post #13, Feb 06, 2012 06:07:31

www.mgiddings.comexternal link
Photography Blogexternal link

Peacefield
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
4,019 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Mick Emmett wrote in post #13828766external link
I had a look at Zookbinders but again you have to sign up with them; and then they want to get in touch with you. Too many questions

Any quality manufacturer is going to require that you're a professional photographer, that you have a website, etc.

That said, I don't recall a bunch of questions or any follow-up discussions or quizzing. I filled in a few blanks and received my account number within a couple hours.

Post #14, Feb 06, 2012 06:30:24

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

jonwhite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,279 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #13833507external link
You do get what you pay for. I do not offer photobooks to clients as I feel they are not good enough for a wedding album. Everything I offer to clients has a lifetime guarantee. Check out MTA.

I wouldn't personally class MTA products above those of the likes of Graphistudio or Sim2000 .... although they also seem to sell to the general public rather than just to working professionals.

I prefer the quality of matted albums over flushmount albums but many clients like the modern feel of flush-mount albums so I do quite a lot of these too.

Not seen a better quality flushmount album than Graphistudios and I always spend a few hours looking at albums at Focus each year.

Post #15, Feb 06, 2012 06:53:24

Wedding Portfolio Websiteexternal link | Wedding Photographer Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quality Photobooks, where?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES