Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #1
michgirl

Default Anyone Use the 320EX?

Just purchased the 5D2 and absolutely love it. Previously with my 500D, I mostly used the older model 270ex for flash and 90% of the time, it did the job. I do have the 430exII, but it is heavier, especially with the added weight of the 5D2 and 24-105mm lens. The 270ex just doesn't seem to be enough light with this combo.

I have a cord to use the 430EX II off camera, with a couple of umbrella stands. Love this set-up, but it is not always practical.

I did shoot a birthday party yesterday in a well lit room without a flash using the 85 f/1.8 with great results. However, the 85 is a little long for cramped rooms. I am really not liking the 28mm f/1.8 on my 5d2, it is just too wide for those close-up snap shots. I was contemplating getting the 50 f/1.4 but decided to revisit flash with my 24-105mm, as this lens would give me IS and much more versatility.

I am looking at the 320ex to mount, as it is very lightweight and I could mount it without much notice to the weight. Has anyone paired this with the 5d2? Does it work well enough to use for indoor snapshots and quick portraits?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Canon 6d - EOS M / 24mm-105mm L / 100-400mm L / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / M 22mm / M 18-55mm
michgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #2
OneJZsupra
Goldmember

Default Re: Anyone Use the 320EX?

I haven't but I think it was smart for you to give the flash a go again. Have you considered using the 430ex with a trigger off to the side for bounce? I mean I know it's not the answer for everything but for small things like that I imagine it'll help out a lot.
OneJZsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #3
michgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoul4korea View Post
I haven't but I think it was smart for you to give the flash a go again. Have you considered using the 430ex with a trigger off to the side for bounce? I mean I know it's not the answer for everything but for small things like that I imagine it'll help out a lot.
Actually I have been checking out the remote for flash, it doesn't look too complicated and I think it would be great for some situations. Maybe I will price that out. Thanks.

Canon 6d - EOS M / 24mm-105mm L / 100-400mm L / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / M 22mm / M 18-55mm
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #4
OneJZsupra
Goldmember

If price is the issue get some yongnou triggers
Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #5
michgirl

It is not the price - rather something that is lightweight with adequate lighting for shooting. Maybe my question should be - is the 320ex a big enough improvement over the 270ex?

Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #6
OneJZsupra
Goldmember

Not sure, I was just trying to help with off camera lighting lol
Old 5th of February 2012 (Sun)   #7
michgirl

Quote:
Not sure, I was just trying to help with off camera lighting lol

Thank you for that!

Old 27th of February 2012 (Mon)   #8
Immaculens
Cream of the Crop

just throwing this thread out of the shadows if anyone has the 320EX.

for that matter - is the newer 270EX II much better than the 270EX?

cheers

Learn to Love to Do Well - and You Shall ~ C. Poisidon
Immaculens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #9
rang

I've used it with the 5DC, 30D, 60D, XTi, XT, G9 and SX40HS.
And compared it's usefullness with the 580EXII and I, the 430EX, the 270EXII and I.

I've used it in a good size hall for meetings indoors with really crappy lighting due to dimmed lights to support PowerPoint presentations.

It doesn't throw light far enough compared to the 580 series...the 430 barely makes it and well the 270 is just a major fail...in this situation for me. YMMV due to your location shooting.

The other thing is that the head is so small nearly all of my light modifiers don't attach well at all. The biggest exception to that is the specific model of Sto-fen Omnibounce.

However for close in shooting, small rooms, and for the odd time you want to trigger an appropriate camera shutter...it will do that. That makes it easy to try lighting from just about any angle you can come up with. This situation works best if you also stick a Sto-fen on your rig mounted flash so that all the pre-flash communication gets sent in all directions a bit better.

Sorry...haven't tried it with the 5DII. Waiting to see the 5DIII on March 2nd.
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #10
rang

Oh yeah the biggest difference I can see between the two 270s EXII and I is that the 270EXII can act as a slave so if you have a 7D or 60D you can have a two flash setup carrying just the 270EXII ...using the body as a master and dial down the popup flash. And I think you can trigger an appropriate body's shutter like a remote.

The older 270 is just a plain old hot shoe flash of very little power and the only way to bounce it any other direction is to use an off shoe cord.

Now Phottix makes and interesting off shoe cord that is pinned to support Nikon and Canon hotshoe signalling with the one cord. And it has a hotshoe pass through built in the end that mounts slides into the hot shoe.
So you have a two flash setup...however it only works in manual like that...no ETTL or iTTL. With this Phottix cord you could carry two 270EXs and mount one on your camera (bounceable light) and the other on the cord (bouceable light in any direction).

-rang
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #11
michgirl

As a first resort, to work with my current equipment, rather than making another costly purchase, I got a $28.00 white card that velcros to the flash head. It is hinged, so I can point it in any direction and it stays in place. Using it with the 270EX and am pretty impressed with the subtle lighting. Not harsh, but plenty of light to allow for higher shutter speeds and natural soft lighting. It works great as an everyday flash for snapshots and such. Plus this is a very light-weight set-up on the 5D II. I just use the 430EXii for portaits and serious lighting.

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #12
Immaculens
Cream of the Crop

@ rang: I want a lightweight flash (and a full-duty for eventual studio)

do both the 270EX II and the 320EX use that pulse-disco-light pre-flash? Sorry for my lack of flash terminology, just entering the speedlite arena for the first time.

I want a lightweight speedlite option for events and even weddings - so - are the 2 above okay - or do they have that annoying flickering preflash that would be too distracting?

Final question about their "wireless" features. Again, please forgive my newbieness:
Does 'wireless' mean that you can take these speedlites off your camera (60D in my case) and they will fire when you press the shutter? Is it that simple?
I understand it means going into the menu, etc.

Thank-you so much

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #13
OneJZsupra
Goldmember

Your going to want some thing better then that. I don't recall but I think the 320 can only point up which is an issue you can't get past at a wedding
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #14
Immaculens
Cream of the Crop

the 320 does have some lateral side movement:

Flash Head Features
Swivel (-180 to +90 degrees)
Tilt (0 to +90 degrees)
Manual Zoom Head (24 + 50)

are there any other reasons to totally disregard the 320Ex for weddings?

Quote:
Your going to want some thing better then that. I don't recall but I think the 320 can only point up which is an issue you can't get past at a wedding

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #15
OneJZsupra
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculens View Post
the 320 does have some lateral side movement:

Flash Head Features
Swivel (-180 to +90 degrees)
Tilt (0 to +90 degrees)
Manual Zoom Head (24 + 50)

are there any other reasons to totally disregard the 320Ex for weddings?
Ahh ok that look slike what the 430ex can do. the only thing I can think of is the amount of power it can put out (But I'd have to see how much it provides.)