Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 11:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

aappeleer
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2012
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #13875260external link
1600 looks pretty clean, but then again, it is JPG and no one knows how much (if any) processing has been done. The shadow/underexposed area looks pretty smooth.

I think Canon did a disservice to themselves by shooting at 1/660 and fan-blown hair on the model. Can still see motion blur on the subject and that throws off the image more for me than anything else.

Ultimately it'll come to whether Canon still have the silly banding noise when the shadows are pushed, IMO. 36mp with sufficient light (regardless of ISO setting) will always be impressive. Perhaps some very wealthy individual can get their hands on both cameras with similar/equal quality lenses to test out side-by-side comparisons, however improbable that may be.

D800 is a great camera/package, especially at the price point.

what you saw here?
http://dantri.com.vn ...he-thao-dep-nhat-tuan.htmexternal link

Post #16, Feb 12, 2012 19:15:12

Ha long bay cruisesexternal link-Valentine junkexternal link-Thailand toursexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
longducati
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2011
10 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

???

Post #17, Feb 12, 2012 19:40:54

35L, 24-70mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 II, 135L, 100mm L Macro
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/longducati/external link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,169 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah... that's what I said to myself. Then I immediately put my computer on a virus scan just in case. :p

Post #18, Feb 12, 2012 19:48:31

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

bps
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2007
6,739 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't put too much stock (or worry) into these samples...

Post #19, Feb 12, 2012 20:02:15

My Gear List

chumlee
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,989 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Nikon posted these to fool us all :)

Post #20, Feb 12, 2012 20:29:33

Leica M3 | Contax G2 |
No, I'm not the guy from Pawn Stars...

sponsored links
joelanai
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
4 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

Come on guys! Are you kidding? These images are supposed to be from a state-of-the-art camera with ground breaking, high ISO image quality?? The best you have to offer, so far, is a 1600 ISO image that exhibits only average quality at best. With all the hype, I was prepared to see, a collection of 6400 ISO images (or even higher) with exceptional quality. Very, very disappointed so far... Maybe I just got my hopes up too much. Ahhh well...

Post #21, Feb 12, 2012 22:50:18

cankon
Joined Aug 2009
135 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bps wrote in post #13875683external link
I don't put too much stock (or worry) into these samples...

Thats exactly what the "old" CEO said about the D3S...didnt turn out too good :)

Post #22, Feb 12, 2012 22:53:08

flickrexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,169 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

joelanai wrote in post #13876578external link
Come on guys! Are you kidding? These images are supposed to be from a state-of-the-art camera with ground breaking, high ISO image quality?? The best you have to offer, so far, is a 1600 ISO image that exhibits only average quality at best. With all the hype, I was prepared to see, a collection of 6400 ISO images (or even higher) with exceptional quality. Very, very disappointed so far... Maybe I just got my hopes up too much. Ahhh well...

Just because a Ferrari can drive 150+ mph without breaking a sweat, doesn't mean it should only go 150+ mph.

It doesn't bother me that no ISO 204,800 images have been released thus far. All I know (for certain) is that whatever the 1D X has to offer, it will be superior to my 5Dc and 7D. The question for the consumer/costumer now would be whether one is willing to hand over ~$7000 for a chance to play.

State of the art or not, it doesn't matter if you can't afford it. And none of these photos are scientifically comparable until they've been put through a "controlled" environment testing, like those done by imaging-resource and dpreview. Canon said it is scheduled to be released in March. It's still February where I live. You kids are so impatient. :D

Post #23, Feb 12, 2012 23:47:29

Julian
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

joelanai
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
4 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #13876774external link
Just because a Ferrari can drive 150+ mph without breaking a sweat, doesn't mean it should only go 150+ mph.

It doesn't bother me that no ISO 204,800 images have been released thus far. All I know (for certain) is that whatever the 1D X has to offer, it will be superior to my 5Dc and 7D. The question for the consumer/costumer now would be whether one is willing to hand over ~$7000 for a chance to play.

State of the art or not, it doesn't matter if you can't afford it. And none of these photos are scientifically comparable until they've been put through a "controlled" environment testing, like those done by imaging-resource and dpreview. Canon said it is scheduled to be released in March. It's still February where I live. You kids are so impatient. :D

We are pretty far from ISO 204,800 samples, when the highest ISO image Canon has posted (so far) is ISO 1600... which is far from impressive... since this is supposed to be the best that Canon can offer at this point in the game. A Ferrari driven, at 65 mph, still shows superior qualities when compared to a mid range Ford driven at the same speed. You don't have to push the cars to their respective limits to see the difference. So far, even at lower ISO levels, the 1DX image samples are not even coming close to justifying the price tag. I don't need dpreview to tell me that. I hope that this is all some kind of spoof or mistake... and that Canon is getting ready to show us that the 1DX really is a ground breaker. Until then, I'm holding off on my 1DX pre-order... while continuing to be impressed by Nikon D4 image samples (Nikon, unlike Canon, seems to have no problem with posting ISO 6400 images from their new offering). One would think that if Canon could blow us away with the quality of, at least, an ISO 6400 image... they would be doing it. Something just a little "fishy" here...

Post #24, Feb 13, 2012 15:40:13

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,169 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Uh... why do you sound so upset with Canon? If the tool doesn't work for you, don't buy it? Or buy the competitor's tool.

That iso1600 image (again, possibly processed jpg so no one knows for sure) is cleaner than my 5Dc at iso1600. That is an improvement to me.

Nikon hasn't posted any NEF files for their D4/D800 either (AFAIK). So why suddenly is Nikon more impressive? If it is, then by all means, switch over. Brand loyalty is completely stupid if your livelihood depend on the tools that you use. Else if what you're using is perfectly good enough to sustain the lifestyle you've come to enjoy... then neither the D4 or 1D X should matter.

I don't get why people get so emotional over such things.

Post #25, Feb 13, 2012 16:56:16

Julian

joelanai
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
4 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #13891650external link
Uh... why do you sound so upset with Canon? If the tool doesn't work for you, don't buy it? Or buy the competitor's tool.

That iso1600 image (again, possibly processed jpg so no one knows for sure) is cleaner than my 5Dc at iso1600. That is an improvement to me.

Nikon hasn't posted any NEF files for their D4/D800 either (AFAIK). So why suddenly is Nikon more impressive? If it is, then by all means, switch over. Brand loyalty is completely stupid if your livelihood depend on the tools that you use. Else if what you're using is perfectly good enough to sustain the lifestyle you've come to enjoy... then neither the D4 or 1D X should matter.

I don't get why people get so emotional over such things.

Not upset... not emotional. Just curious why all the hype on the 1DX... with no image samples to back up the "flagship" status (so far). Have several thousand dollars invested in Canon glass... so it's not quite so easy to simply "switch over" to Nikon even though I came close to doing just that a couple of years ago. I have been hoping that Canon would create something that would match, or surpass Nikon in low light capabilities. Been waiting on this for quite a while. All I'm saying... there's nothing out there yet to convince me that they actually have accomplished this... I simply don't understand why Canon would only release ISO 1600 images from a camera that is supposed to be capable of so much more. I'm as patient as a clam... but it doesn't keep me from asking questions.

Post #26, Feb 13, 2012 22:10:46

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,169 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon hypes the camera because it's their job to hype a brand new camera (whether it's good or bad). Chuck Westfall is out there trying to find the words to convince himself and everyone else that not having f/8 AF is a good thing.

I don't trust any of the Canon-paid reviewers/testers nor do I trust any of the Nikon-paid reviewers/testers. They're paid for a reason and even if they want to stay as objective as possible, they can't because they want that paycheck and would like that paycheck to keep coming when the next camera comes along.

The only thing that Canon did differently this time than before was that they announced the 1DX super early. Usually, they announce it and it's ready for delivery within 2-3 months. This time, it was a 6 months hype. And my guess it's because they knew ahead of time (from their internal corporate spies) that Nikon was going to announce in January. And because the 1DX wasn't going to be quite ready by then, they didn't want the big-named agencies (Reuters, SI, etc...) to quickly jump and buy a bunch of D4 to outfit their photogs.

They're taking a risk. And fortunate for them.. looks like Nikon's 1st shipment of D4 will be delayed into March as well. So that makes things more interesting.

Post #27, Feb 13, 2012 23:59:09

Julian

Jahled
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,497 posts
North London
[MORE/SHARE]

I just spoke to a retailer regarding when this will arrive, and have just been told 'at the end of this month,' which is just two weeks away. :)

Post #28, Mar 15, 2012 07:35:22 as a reply to jwcdds's post 1 month earlier.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
1dx samples
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES