Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ching
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,369 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just gonna quote Thom

"You can trigger moire at any level, it's the word "visible" that's the key here. Frankly, I think we've long been past the point where it's a real issue other than for those that shoot fashion or industrial/architectur​e. My assistant shoots with a D3x without the AA, I shoot with a D3x with the AA. I haven't seen an image yet that has meaningful, visible moire out of my assistant's camera. But we're also not printing at over 24" and we also don't shoot things with absolutely repetitive patterns. Bird feathers don't really count here, for example, as there is a bit of randomness to their size and weave, so you don't get the huge areas of nasty moire that you get from, say, certain fabrics shot with certain lenses at a certain distance (a fashion shooter can always move and change the moire production, but that changes perspective, and they'd have to notice it being produced in the first place).

So which should you choose, AA or non-AA? Again, it's going to take testing to absolutely determine that answer. However, I don't think it makes a huge difference. You won't resolve more detail, you'll see faux detail beyond the Nyquist frequency which might be perceived in some situations as more detail. You'll get better edge acuity, which might help you with all the diffraction you're resolving if you're using smaller apertures.

Post #4636, Feb 13, 2012 13:50:28

Nikon D800

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
absolutic
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,142 posts
Sherman Oaks, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony_Stark wrote in post #13874994external link
Some questions for people who have had the opportunity to use both Nikon and Canon lenses, between these which would you rate as better? Build and optics I mean...

14-24G vs. 16-35L II
24-70G vs. 24-70L (MK II not out yet so cant compare just yet)
70-200G II vs. 70-200L II
85 1.4G vs. Sigma 85 vs. Canon 85 1.2L II

Just curious. Not much resources on Youtube for that sake, and I dont want to bother local camera stores just yet ;)

I used most of these. By the way, re: 85mm, there is a video comparison by the digitalrev crew of all the 85mm lenses by Canon, Sigma and Nikon in the same video.... http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=adQHzNfvzFMexternal link

Post #4637, Feb 13, 2012 17:15:03

Always Changing Gear
FM Feedback http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/feedback/18​3058external link
Latest POTN feedback http://photography-on-the.net ...=15934524&postcount​=39869
http://photography-on-the.net ...=16930253&postcount​=43618

Tony_Stark
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,035 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

absolutic wrote in post #13891747external link
I used most of these. By the way, re: 85mm, there is a video comparison by the digitalrev crew of all the 85mm lenses by Canon, Sigma and Nikon in the same video.... http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=adQHzNfvzFMexternal link

Thats the video I watched a long time ago, and forgot how to find it! Im an avid DigitalRev viewer but sometimes its pretty difficult to find some of the older videos.

Since you have used most of them, given the option which lens set would you opt for an why? The more I actually research equipment and such, I just feel at home staying with Canon. While the D800 is a beast of a camera and beats the 5DII in every respect, I just feel very comfortable using the Canon system.

Would it be weird to use a 5D Mark II with 24-105, 135L, 70-200L II, and use Nikon with D800, 14-24, 24-70, and 85G? One aspect that I want to consider is the use of flash/speedlights. I want to get both a set of speedlights (for really portable use) and Alienbees (for serious work) but I want to be flexible with the speedlights. I know using Alienbees wont be an issues with the triggers (I can get 2 radio transmitters etc.).

But the more I think about it, it will be very costly to own 2 systems and use them effectively in a professional setting. I guess at this stage its pick one and stay with one. I dont want to blow loads of cash on redundant equipment. Just venting here as of now :)

Post #4638, Feb 13, 2012 17:22:00

Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | Facebook

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Nikon's speedlites are better i thought...

Post #4639, Feb 13, 2012 17:36:03

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 5D Mark III, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Deviantartexternal link
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)external link

jdizzle
Darth Noink
Joined Aug 2006
69,391 posts
Harvesting Nano crystals
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony_Stark wrote in post #13891785external link
Thats the video I watched a long time ago, and forgot how to find it! Im an avid DigitalRev viewer but sometimes its pretty difficult to find some of the older videos.

Since you have used most of them, given the option which lens set would you opt for an why? The more I actually research equipment and such, I just feel at home staying with Canon. While the D800 is a beast of a camera and beats the 5DII in every respect, I just feel very comfortable using the Canon system.

Would it be weird to use a 5D Mark II with 24-105, 135L, 70-200L II, and use Nikon with D800, 14-24, 24-70, and 85G? One aspect that I want to consider is the use of flash/speedlights. I want to get both a set of speedlights (for really portable use) and Alienbees (for serious work) but I want to be flexible with the speedlights. I know using Alienbees wont be an issues with the triggers (I can get 2 radio transmitters etc.).

But the more I think about it, it will be very costly to own 2 systems and use them effectively in a professional setting. I guess at this stage its pick one and stay with one. I dont want to blow loads of cash on redundant equipment. Just venting here as of now :)

Using both systems isn't gonna hurt ya. ;)

Post #4640, Feb 13, 2012 17:38:32

Phase One, Nikon, Sony, DJI Quadcopter, and Canon.

sponsored links
absolutic
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,142 posts
Sherman Oaks, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

[QUOTE=Tony_Stark;1389​1785]Thats the video I watched a long time ago, and forgot how to find it! Im an avid DigitalRev viewer but sometimes its pretty difficult to find some of the older videos.

Yes their videos are very entertaining. This one of course is missing the latest Nikon 85mm 1.8G which is still 'pre-order only"

Well, I am a Nikon guy so I am generally biased toward Nikon (although I use Canon alongside Nikon) I like Nikon's DXXX and DX layout and consider it the most logical. I've never loved dual-use buttons of XXD or D5/7. Owned 40D for almost 2 years but could never remember which button to press with which wheel for what. I actually like Rebel layout better because 1 button control ISO. or 60D where they finally separated things one button for one function.

I looved my D700 but sold my last D700 body few days ago and pre-ordered D800. I don't think it is weird at all to use 5D with 24-105 135 and 70-200, and then get D800 with 14-24, 24-70, and 85G. Unless you want to trade 24-105 Canon for Nikon 24-120 F/4, which many people these days like over 24-70, because Nikon 24-70 is just too damn heavy. I once shot a wedding rehearsal with three cameras: D700 with 24-70, D90 with Tokina 11-16, and Canon T2i with 17-55 F/2.8. Everything was great, but I thought my arm would fall off after using 24-70 for few hours. It is a heavy lens and a long one.

I think there is a point of using perhaps a crop system in Canon alongside Nikon full frame. The justification would be that a crop system is lighter/more portrable and can be used when you dont want to bother with heavy camera/lens combos. At least that is my justification in keeping Canon. Plus my wife can use Canon T2i with smaller lenses and not complain about heavy Nikon FX gear. She probably will be thrilled to find out that D800 is almost 200 grams lighter than D700 was.

Post #4641, Feb 13, 2012 17:40:45

Always Changing Gear
Latest POTN feedback http://photography-on-the.net ...=15934524&postcount​=39869

absolutic
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,142 posts
Sherman Oaks, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

KenjiS wrote in post #13891852external link
Nikon's speedlites are better i thought...

they are. and they generally give more consistent results.

Post #4642, Feb 13, 2012 17:43:59

Always Changing Gear

Tony_Stark
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,035 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks a lot for your input guys! Defintely getting the feedback to keep my head straight. Im going to continue to research both routes and decide how I want to proceed. No rush, but I want to make an informed decision and not one out of gear lust that lasts at week tops for new released products ;) Ill be sure to keep posting in this thread. I am very happy talking with people who are unbiased to both products! (Even though one may shoot either primarily Nikon/Canon).

As for the 85 lenses, Im looking at the high end models primarily but wouldn't mind a 1.8 version if my needs do not demand the best. So far it's primarily 85 1.4G vs. 85 1.2L II.

Post #4643, Feb 13, 2012 18:07:24

Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony_Stark wrote in post #13891785external link

Thoughts:
- Each system has a slightly different look, so images might be inconsistent
- The different systems have completely different controls, switching between them would be a pain in the butt. Your muscle memory would suffer.
- I have two Nikon and two Canon speedlites, just because when I switched I didn't sell the old ones. Both work. Nikons flash exposure system seems more automated and consistent. I only use Canon flashes off camera these days.
- After my experiences with 3rd party brands it would take a heck of a lot to get my to buy a third party lens. I will probably always buy the same brand lenses as the camera.

I would stay with one system.

Post #4644, Feb 13, 2012 18:08:51 as a reply to absolutic's post 24 minutes earlier.

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
Land of Short Skirts and Anime Fantasies
[MORE/SHARE]

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13879040external link
Don't plant those ideas in my head. :p ;)

hehehe you don't need me to figure that out :lol:

I will bet my life you will do it at some point hahaha

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13879243external link
And in summary...

That answers a lot for me there.

What? I told you that first :lol: :lol: :p

Post #4645, Feb 13, 2012 18:12:26

www.monk3y.comexternal link | My GEAR

monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
Land of Short Skirts and Anime Fantasies
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #13892044external link
Thoughts:
- Each system has a slightly different look, so images might be inconsistent
- The different systems have completely different controls, switching between them would be a pain in the butt. Your muscle memory would suffer.
- I have two Nikon and two Canon speedlites, just because when I switched I didn't sell the old ones. Both work. Nikons flash exposure system seems more automated and consistent. I only use Canon flashes off camera these days.
- After my experiences with 3rd party brands it would take a heck of a lot to get my to buy a third party lens. I will probably always buy the same brand lenses as the camera.

I would stay with one system.

and after looking at the current Nikon system... I don't see a good reason to go back to Canon at all. :D

I am not good enough to benefit from any minute changes I might get from switching systems and I also don't care enough about the newer cameras and stuff plus I am pretty impressed with Nikon's current lens lineup :D

Post #4646, Feb 13, 2012 18:18:32

www.monk3y.comexternal link | My GEAR

sponsored links
DavidR
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
1,498 posts
Titusville, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

It is done, just pre-orderd the D800.:smile:

Post #4647, Feb 13, 2012 19:35:36 as a reply to monk3y's post 1 hour earlier.

David
Feedback

Tony_Stark
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,035 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I have some bad news :( I was going over Nikon's flash systems and its getting harder to look away. The new SB-910 look supreme and the SU-800 wireless flash trigger looks the part as well. I want to get some hands on time for these guys. Too bad noone in Canada offers that :( They make the offerings from Canon look obsolete.

Post #4648, Feb 13, 2012 19:42:02

Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

jdizzle
Darth Noink
Joined Aug 2006
69,391 posts
Harvesting Nano crystals
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13892101external link
and after looking at the current Nikon system... I don't see a good reason to go back to Canon at all. :D

I am not good enough to benefit from any minute changes I might get from switching systems and I also don't care enough about the newer cameras and stuff plus I am pretty impressed with Nikon's current lens lineup :D

Whatever. :p:lol:

Post #4649, Feb 13, 2012 19:50:17

jdizzle
Darth Noink
Joined Aug 2006
69,391 posts
Harvesting Nano crystals
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidR wrote in post #13892592external link
It is done, just pre-orderd the D800.:smile:

Congrats!! :)

Tony_Stark wrote in post #13892633external link
I have some bad news :( I was going over Nikon's flash systems and its getting harder to look away. The new SB-910 look supreme and the SU-800 wireless flash trigger looks the part as well. I want to get some hands on time for these guys. Too bad noone in Canada offers that :( They make the offerings from Canon look obsolete.

You've been warned. Nikon's flash system is impressive. :)

Post #4650, Feb 13, 2012 19:51:44

LIST NEARBY THREADS
377,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES