Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Kids & Family Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of January 2012 (Mon)   #1
Sereia

Default Question about a NB pose

Hello everyone

I would like to get your help about a pose ( exemple - 3rd picture http://www.kerimeyersphotography.com...-photographer/). Do you prepare baby while holding them or you lay them and the try to set them? How do you do it?

I know this shoulb a workshop question, but there is no workshops about this kind of work in Portugal, so I just have to ask

Thank you all

Last edited by Sereia : 23rd of January 2012 (Mon) at 20:17.
Sereia is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of January 2012 (Tue)   #2
Sereia

Default Re: Question about a NB pose

Anyone?
Thank you
Old 24th of January 2012 (Tue)   #3
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Hello! Typically, you get them milk drunk and warm. Then you lay them down and position them. Id say the shot you are refering to was also tilted in post, not shot that way with the baby tilted upward.

Here is a good thread with lots of tips and photos! http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=912133
JakAHearts is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of January 2012 (Tue)   #4
Sereia

Thank you shane for your reply. In fact I am able to pose the baby it is just this one pose that I am confused about and would like to know exactly how to do it in order not to hurt the baby. It is the feet below the tummy that I would like to know how they do it, if you hold the baby in your arms and arrange the legs in that position and then just lay the baby already posing hor you lay the baby down and then do it there.

Old 27th of January 2012 (Fri)   #5
Darweshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereia View Post
Thank you shane for your reply. In fact I am able to pose the baby it is just this one pose that I am confused about and would like to know exactly how to do it in order not to hurt the baby. It is the feet below the tummy that I would like to know how they do it, if you hold the baby in your arms and arrange the legs in that position and then just lay the baby already posing hor you lay the baby down and then do it there.

You are not going to hurt the baby (well, as long as you do it gently!) They seem breakable, but they are more hardy then they look (coming from a mama of two...soon to be three!)
Baby was most likely in a very similar position in mama's tummy not too long ago. Do your best to get baby arranged how you want her (legs tucked while holding her up) just to limit the times you are messing with her, so she is less likely to wake up and be cranky. But if need be, you can certainly do some arranging after you have her down. Just be gentle...you can always have mommy or daddy help if needed. Baby will let you know if she isn't interested.
The tip about getting the baby good and fed is key. A recently fed (aka milk drunk) newborn will pretty much let you get away with anything. And warm is key too (heating pad or space heater in the room....remember, she is naked and newborn's rely on mama to regulate their body temperature, so she will cool off fast). Oh, and wipes. Newborns poop frequently. Good luck!
Darweshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2012 (Mon)   #6
toadhunter911

Check out this thread. I think it will answer your questions...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=912133

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ckrphoto/sets/
Gear List
toadhunter911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #7
april.stites@gmail.com

I usually pose them in my hands and then lay them down. For this pose you'll want to put their legs crossing (like Indian style) and sit them on the bean bag, then gently fold their upper body over their legs. Never pull their legs into place.
50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/4, 24-105mm f/4L, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
april.stites@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2012 (Tue)   #8
suecassidy
Goldmember

When they are tiny newborns, their muscles have little tone to them, they are like boneless chickens when they are completely relaxed and asleep. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting them in that regard, just be gentle with your movements and use your common sense. I get them into position, wait for them to settle and then tweak the pose, settle, tweak some more, settle. Rinse and repeat. If they take a binky, you might have to use it and remove it once they are completely out of it. I prefer to not use the binky, cuz it leaves lines sometimes, but.... You can tell by the lack of wrinkles in their forehead if they are really "out" or not.
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3
suecassidy is offline   Reply With Quote