Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Benro from Hong Kong to US: Duties?

michaelnel
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 14, 2012 07:57 |  #1

I see that the Benro tripod I ordered from Holgacamera in Hong Kong arrived in the USA yesterday and has gone into US Customs. I realize that if they want to charge me duty, it's my responsiblity, but I wonder what others' experience with this has been? I have ordered lots of stuff from INTL sites over the years and never had duties levied on the purchases.

Has anyone here had to pay duty on a tripod from Hong Kong or China?

I keep my photos on SmugMug: (http://michaelnel.smug​mug.com (external link))

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 14, 2012 08:08 |  #2

michaelnel wrote in post #13895119 (external link)
I see that the Benro tripod I ordered from Holgacamera in Hong Kong arrived in the USA yesterday and has gone into US Customs. I realize that if they want to charge me duty, it's my responsiblity, but I wonder what others' experience with this has been? I have ordered lots of stuff from INTL sites over the years and never had duties levied on the purchases.

Has anyone here had to pay duty on a tripod from Hong Kong or China?

How much is the tripod and how much is the duty?

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 14, 2012 09:02 |  #3

yogestee wrote in post #13895164 (external link)
How much is the tripod and how much is the duty?

$333, and I don't know.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2012 13:39 |  #4

There is no import duty on still camera equipment brought into the US. See the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States page 90 or thereabouts.

Many members have bought from Holgacamera and other HK dealers without issue.

~Peter

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 14, 2012 14:45 |  #5

Thanks Peter. So I guess it goes to customs and then back out to the post office for delivery to me then.

I live in San Francisco, and right now the USPS tracking shows it was processed through the San Francisco sort facility last night, and right now the status is "Inbound Into Customs".

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 14, 2012 17:35 |  #6

Tracking now shows it as having gone through the SF Sort Facility again, so I expect it will be delivered tomorrow. It's a Benro C1681TB0, by the way.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2012 17:58 |  #7

Congrats, I think you'll like the tripod! You might want to consider eventually selling the B0 head and getting a Photo Clam, Markins or RRS replacement.

~Peter

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 14, 2012 18:02 |  #8

I have in the past owned Markins and RRS heads, so I am familiar with their quality. I sure don't want to own something called a Photo Clam. Markins is bad enough, being close to a word for a pubic hairpiece. Further, I don't think their additional quality justifies their additional price though (maybe it does in the case of the RRS heads).

I had a Benro C068 Travel Angel (the previous generation) and I have owned three really expensive Gitzos (GT2530, GT2531, and GT0531), and none of them have any better quality than the Benro I owned.

If the Benro head doesn't meet my needs I will buy a better head, but I think it probably will suit me just fine.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2012 18:13 |  #9

Yes the Photo Clam name is a bit weird but they're not bad, at least the one I had was OK. Not quite up to the Markins Q3T though. Agree with you on the Benro quality; I also use a Benro traveler and it retired my Gitzo equivalent.

Hopefully you'll get your new Benro tomorrow and you'll be all set! :)

~Peter

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 15, 2012 12:43 |  #10

Postman just dropped off the package. $15 expedited shipping from Hong Kong, and it only took 3 days to get here. The tripod and ballhead are just as I expected, perfect for my needs. I am very pleased again with Benro and for my first time with Holgacamera!

silvrg35
190 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2012 12:57 |  #11

michaelnel wrote in post #13898415 (external link)
I have in the past owned Markins and RRS heads, so I am familiar with their quality. I sure don't want to own something called a Photo Clam. Markins is bad enough, being close to a word for a pubic hairpiece. Further, I don't think their additional quality justifies their additional price though (maybe it does in the case of the RRS heads).

I had a Benro C068 Travel Angel (the previous generation) and I have owned three really expensive Gitzos (GT2530, GT2531, and GT0531), and none of them have any better quality than the Benro I owned.

If the Benro head doesn't meet my needs I will buy a better head, but I think it probably will suit me just fine.

Benro really makes the best legs for the money! bw!

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 15, 2012 13:06 |  #12

I just noticed a cool security feature on the B0 ballhead. It is a screw-type clamp, and if you unscrew it with the camera plate in it, it will only unscrew a little way and then stops. Where it stops, you can move the camera plate side to side, but only to the limits of the pins on the bottom of the plate (keeps you from sliding it out sideways inadvertently). You can unscrew those limit pins if you want to be able to slide it out sideways, but I'm going to leave them in for the security. Then, if you want to remove the plate from the clamp you have to pull out the screw knob against a pretty stiff spring before it will rotate far enough to let you get the plate out.

If I recall correctly, my Markins and RRS ballheads had the side to side security, but no stop on the knob to keep you from unscrewing it far enough to drop the camera. I think that's a good idea on Benro's part.

wunhang
672 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 15, 2012 14:05 |  #13

michaelnel wrote in post #13902907 (external link)
I just noticed a cool security feature on the B0 ballhead. It is a screw-type clamp, and if you unscrew it with the camera plate in it, it will only unscrew a little way and then stops. Where it stops, you can move the camera plate side to side, but only to the limits of the pins on the bottom of the plate (keeps you from sliding it out sideways inadvertently). You can unscrew those limit pins if you want to be able to slide it out sideways, but I'm going to leave them in for the security. Then, if you want to remove the plate from the clamp you have to pull out the screw knob against a pretty stiff spring before it will rotate far enough to let you get the plate out.

If I recall correctly, my Markins and RRS ballheads had the side to side security, but no stop on the knob to keep you from unscrewing it far enough to drop the camera. I think that's a good idea on Benro's part.

That's kinda cool... they must have updated the ballhead design recently then... I bought a travelangel early last year and it didn't have the spring.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 23, 2012 15:46 |  #14

So how much $$$ did you save vs buying from US company??

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

michaelnel
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 23, 2012 18:18 |  #15

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #13953364 (external link)
So how much $$$ did you save vs buying from US company??

Over $150.

sponsored links

2,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
Benro from Hong Kong to US: Duties?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.