How to copy to external drive in real time

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 08 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 12:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
A dream world where nothing is what it seems.
[MORE/SHARE]

I need help..

I have 2 drives in my CPU. One is the C: drive, the other is F:

I save all of my files to the F: drive, and then like to put a duplicate copy on to an external drive for back up.

Problem is that sometimes I can't remember what I changed since my last back up, and doing it manually is starting to be a PITA.

So, can anyone tell me what program I can purchase that will allow the F: drive to copy to the external automatically. I would like it to be able to work in real time if I have the external plugged in, but I would also like it to be able to search for changes to all designated folders when I plug it in (if I have not had it running at the time of saving files).

The software that comes with my external drives will only pull from the C: drive, so it's of little use for what I am trying to do.

I was thinking something like Norton Ghost is what I need, but have never used it, so am not sure.

Thanks for any information you can share. I appreciate your time and knowledge. :)

Post #1, Jan 08, 2012 12:42:32

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
www.ksnyderphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Griz
Joined Dec 2008
168 posts
NW Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not aware of a program that will do what you're wanting. If your drives were SCSI drives, you could configure them in a mirror RAID setup which copies the same data to both drives.

I have mine setup with a 1TB main drive and a 2TB secondary drive and a 2TB USB drive. I do a manual backup to the USB drive on a semi-weekly basis but I mainly use Carbonite as my backup service. It's completely seamless, runs in the background and backs up all my data off site. I figure any form of storage at home is subject to permanent loss of data in the event of theft or fire but off site storage is completely recoverable. As a side benefit, I can access all my backed up data from my iPhone through the free Carbonite app at any time. It's a nice feature since I don't have to actually store my pics on my phone taking up space. You can access your data from any PC with a net connection. Price is very reasonable as well and there is no data limitation unlike with Mozy which limits the amount of data you can store.

Post #2, Jan 08, 2012 12:51:35

5D Mkiii, 7D, G11, 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS, 50 f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5-5.6, EF 2X III TC, 580EX ii, 430EX

digitaljay
Joined Oct 2010
174 posts
Pennsylvania, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I've heard good things about SyncBack. Never used it myself but it is supposed to be able to sync drives like you were asking. There is a paid version and a freeware version. http://www.2brightspar​ks.com/syncback/syncba​ck-hub.htmlexternal link

I've used Acronis before and while it did work, I never cared for the user interface.

Good luck!

Post #3, Jan 08, 2012 13:17:15

Gear and Feedback

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Synctoy, Robocopy. Keep your backup drive offsite, otherwise fire or theft can destroy all your data.

btw a CPU does not have hard drives. A CPU is a small chip that does your processing. Your computer has hard drives.

Post #4, Jan 08, 2012 14:00:22

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback guys... I'll check out the links and the info posted and see what I think will fit my needs best. Appreciate the time taken to post here. :)

Tim....:oops: blah.. I guess I didn't mean CPU, I kinda meant in my tower I have 2 drives... thanks for the correction.. duh....:oops::rolleyes:;)

Post #5, Jan 08, 2012 20:44:15

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
6,149 posts
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
[MORE/SHARE]

I can't answer your question, but I have seagate external hdds and I can set them to backup whichever folder I desire automatically at anytime of the day; it just backup the newer stuff without my input. I set it to backup late or early mornings.

Al

Post #6, Jan 10, 2012 19:35:56

Li'l bit of this, Li'l bit of that
MethodicalImagesexternal link
Flickrexternal link
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

rebby
Joined Mar 2010
216 posts
East Bethel, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

digitaljay wrote in post #13668358external link
I've heard good things about SyncBack. Never used it myself but it is supposed to be able to sync drives like you were asking. There is a paid version and a freeware version. http://www.2brightspar​ks.com/syncback/syncba​ck-hub.htmlexternal link

I've used Acronis before and while it did work, I never cared for the user interface.

Good luck!

Syncback is the way to go. Free version works great and can even be scheduled to run at various times.

Post #7, Jan 10, 2012 19:39:04

Curt Rebelein, Junior
http://rebby.comexternal link

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you.... I"ll check syncback.. doing a trial on Acronis True Image at the moment.... seems to work nicely...

Nethodical, I'm not sure why my seagate will not give me an option to copy to another drive.. but the area is gray and I can't select anything other than the C: drive for my origination point..... seems strange.... my files are not on C: so the Seagage included software is useless to me.

Post #8, Jan 15, 2012 12:29:59

~George Carlin

thedge
Joined Jul 2010
417 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

MirrorFolder has an option for Real Time copying to external devices.

Post #9, Jan 16, 2012 15:06:23

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

Lightroom will allow you to import to two locations at once.

Makes it a tad slower and, unfortunately, you have to manually go into your second volume and kill the crap shots but your originals can go to two drives at once.

Post #10, Jan 20, 2012 01:09:49

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13736106external link
Lightroom will allow you to import to two locations at once.

Makes it a tad slower and, unfortunately, you have to manually go into your second volume and kill the crap shots but your originals can go to two drives at once.

Just noticed this.... So you are the LR pro in my opinion... since you've worked through all the crap and had issues that you figured out...

What's your "go-to" resource for learning.. Should I get a book, or just look at youtube for tutorials...? I really like books though.. :D

Post #11, Feb 15, 2012 09:03:09

~George Carlin

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Kelby Books

Some hate the humor but IMO, you can't knock the knowledge. He walks through LR the way you use it and not the way it's hyped.

Post #12, Feb 15, 2012 09:06:52

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That was my thought... I have an old one from the 1st LR that a friend gave me.. Do you think it applies, or should I get the newer one?

Post #13, Feb 15, 2012 09:33:56

~George Carlin

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If you're considering LR4, I'd pop for the Kelby book that gets released around the same time as the software. There are some meaningful changes to the adjustment controls that can impact your workflow Vs LR3.x.

Post #14, Feb 15, 2012 22:09:51

Jay

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Naw.... I'd rather save my pennies for an upgrade to PS before I upgrade LR. :)

So I'll keep using v.3 for a while.. I don't even have an appreciation for the program yet, so it doesn't seem right to consider an upgrade... It's like buying a 1DMKIV, when all you've used before that is a cheap P&S camera, and know nothing about how to manually use a DSLR....:lol:

Post #15, Feb 15, 2012 23:07:26

~George Carlin

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to copy to external drive in real time
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES