Thread started 08 Oct 2010 (Friday) 11:02   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Tessa
Playing with fire
Joined Sep 2008
1,702 posts
Between the rocks
[MORE/SHARE]

My hubs and his brother are both somewhat red-green colorblind. Hubby is also a photographer; he manages well on his own, but does occasionally ask for my opinion on the colors of his pics.

Also, because we often shoot together I'm used to describing things to him in other terms than colors. Instead of saying "that red car there", I'd say something like "that small Toyota with the broken tail light". Definitely avoids confusion.

Post #31, Feb 16, 2012 07:46:20 as a reply to post 13907203

Picturesexternal link. And a blogexternal link thingy. Look if you dare...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
photogs_spouse
Joined Apr 2008
68 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

While I am not color blind, I did "meet" a color blind photographer long ago in a graphics software forum.
At the time, he was wondering how to matte/frame his online images to enhance rather than clash with the image itself. Monochromatic frames and mattes were his solution. His clients loved the "museum" look. I believe he did experiment with BW photography, but preferred the challenge of color. His images had more texture and pattern than many others' I've seen.

The rest of us went roaming the web and discovered some useful tools to help us visualize his issue.
Color Laboratory web simulatorexternal link shows 8 types of color blindness, including atypical and rare versions. might explain the unflattering color of redheads......
Color Universal Designexternal linkCovers the typical 3 types and gives real world work-arounds for biology and business presentations plus a "safe" presentation palette for the presentation industry.

Post #32, Feb 17, 2012 00:28:49

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tessa wrote in post #13907536external link
My hubs and his brother are both somewhat red-green colorblind. Hubby is also a photographer; he manages well on his own, but does occasionally ask for my opinion on the colors of his pics.

That's what I do as well (I mean, ask MY wife :-) )! Especially while using Levels/ Curves to make sure I haven't got the colours off..

But I guess I want to check if using a WhitBal or similar card can make it easier for me to do it all (white balance/ levels/ curves) by myself... Do the changes on a photo with the card and then reapply to the actual photos (in the same conditions)...

Or keep it near the edge length-wise and crop out at the end...

Post #33, Feb 17, 2012 00:59:29

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

paulccsi
Joined Feb 2009
64 posts
Malta, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Red/Green colorblind here! Trying to read a red background sign with green letters (and the opposite) will actually cause my eyes to ache. I'm not to good with many other colors either. Probably because many of the other colors are combined with red and green. As for my photographs, the only person I need to please is myself.

Post #34, Feb 23, 2012 19:49:25 as a reply to mrwalker's post 6 days earlier.

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 350D, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 17-85mm IS, Sigma 600mm, Canon 70-300mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm Macro, Vivitar 135mm f2.3 MF, Ring Flash, Digital 952AF Flash.

sjones
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,072 posts
Asheville, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Partially red/green colorblind...shoot monochrome; solves that problem.

Post #35, Feb 23, 2012 19:57:46 as a reply to paulccsi's post 8 minutes earlier.

Asheville, July-November 2014external link / Savannah, October 2014external link
Glad I can enjoy Gursky, let alone not feel threatened by his work.
It's the Photographerexternal link | God Loves Photoshopexternal link | Photography & Artexternal link | Art Sucksexternal link

sponsored links
Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Rivest wrote in post #11063810external link
Is that a serious answer or you're kidding (which I would find disrespectful since it's not an easy handicap to work with in photography)?

I would see it as serious. I love black and white photography. And if there is a bit of color cast - convert to B&W you'd never really know.

Post #36, Feb 23, 2012 20:05:39

Gear List

ottou
Joined Jan 2011
111 posts
Hungary
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi guys, I have a question: your CB problem is because there is a physical problem in your eyes or is it a cognitive problem in your mind? If it is a cognitive problem, then you can improve your color sensing. For example if you have a part of red curtain and you can light it with blue spot light, then you can force your mind to make difference amongst shades. But you have to do it consciously and day by day. And a time later you will observed that you will be able to make difference between red and purple or magenta based on the different quantity. of blue Of course it works with other color as well.
But if the problem is in the eye, then I do not think so it helps. (or who knows)

Post #37, Feb 24, 2012 08:24:50

Have a nice lights!
EOS 1000D | EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ottou wrote in post #13957911external link
Hi guys, I have a question: your CB problem is because there is a physical problem in your eyes or is it a cognitive problem in your mind? If it is a cognitive problem, then you can improve your color sensing. For example if you have a part of red curtain and you can light it with blue spot light, then you can force your mind to make difference amongst shades. But you have to do it consciously and day by day. And a time later you will observed that you will be able to make difference between red and purple or magenta based on the different quantity. of blue Of course it works with other color as well.
But if the problem is in the eye, then I do not think so it helps. (or who knows)

Most types of colour blindness are hereditary and causes deficiencies in the light colour sensing cones in the retina. Can also be caused in a non-hereditary manner by injury etc though.

Post #38, Feb 24, 2012 08:40:28

Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
7,075 posts
Wadsworth, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

yes, afflicted with color-blindness. It seems there are many variants of color-blind according to my eye doctor.

For me, it's seeing a car in the beige color spectrum. Say a champagne colored Ford Taurus. I can't tell if it's brown, purple, green, tan or champagne color. Same thing with closely hued colors. Blues, purples, magenta all seem to blend together as well.

On the other hand, when I see an image posted here with perfect white balance, I see it as perfect white balance and the colors look correct.

Go figure. I'm also left-handed!

dave

Post #39, Feb 26, 2012 14:18:19

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

WilliamC
Joined Sep 2011
41 posts
Northants, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I also have quite bad red/green colour deficiency which causes me grief when processing shots. What looks vibrant to me is well over the top for people with normal colour vision so I do have to be very careful and tone down my own version of "vibrant". WB is a nightmare so I usually just shoot on Auto WB and try to avoid messing with it in PP, to an extent I just have to trust it. It can be an extremely frustrating condition which means I just can't see a problem until someone else points it out.

Post #40, Mar 01, 2012 01:05:23

William
EOS 7D, EF 400mm f/4 DO, EF 70-300L, Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8-4, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 60mm macro

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

WilliamC wrote in post #13995408external link
I also have quite bad red/green colour deficiency which causes me grief when processing shots. What looks vibrant to me is well over the top for people with normal colour vision so I do have to be very careful and tone down my own version of "vibrant". WB is a nightmare so I usually just shoot on Auto WB and try to avoid messing with it in PP, to an extent I just have to trust it. It can be an extremely frustrating condition which means I just can't see a problem until someone else points it out.

Same here, but I've found that the Auto WB is usually off so thinking of using a WhiBal (or other) card as mentioned above. Now if I could just actually find one to buy around here...

But I guess I want to check if using a WhitBal or similar card can make it easier for me to do it all (white balance/ levels/ curves) by myself... Do the changes on a photo with the card and then reapply to the actual photos (in the same conditions)...

Or keep it near the edge length-wise and crop out at the end...

Post #41, Mar 01, 2012 01:59:25

sponsored links
wcpeabody
Joined Jul 2011
55 posts
Eastern Wa
[MORE/SHARE]

Count me in as color blind. I guess I am considered red\green color blind. I describe it like, if you give me the basic box of 8 crayons I can see them all but blue & purple (they look the same). If you give me the box of 64, I still pretty much see those 8 crayons.

So as others had said adjusting white balance and skin tone is hard. I was adjusting a bunch of indoor youth basketball pictures a few weeks ago and my son had to sit with me and tell me how the color was looking :).

Bill

Post #42, Mar 08, 2012 11:51:35 as a reply to mrwalker's post 7 days earlier.

ootsk
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2002
1,153 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm colorblind too. A rainbow has 3 colors, and stop lights at night with white street lights behind them cause me to keep my concentration up.
About twice a year I have a nightmare where I wake up in a cold sweat. I'm a sniper and I've got to shoot the guy in the "blue" shirt.

Post #43, Mar 08, 2012 22:32:31

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wanted to say very interesting thread...great to see stuff like this on POTN :)

Post #44, Mar 08, 2012 22:47:38

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

ni$mo350
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
6,004 posts
Portland, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow completely forgot about this thread! I picked up an X-rite color checker passport a few months ago and since then haven't had any big issues. I would suggest it to all my fellow color blind shooters out there!

Post #45, Mar 12, 2012 16:54:48

-Chris-Websiteexternal link||external linkFacebookexternal link|| My Flickrexternal link|| Follow me!!! 500pxexternal link ||external link 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else colorblind?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES