FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 17 Feb 2012 (Friday) 10:21   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Tigershark
Joined May 2008
904 posts
KY
[MORE/SHARE]

How many of you print metallic instead of lustre? Have you seen your sales go up or down, do you offer the option or did you convert all at once for memory mates , individuals etc. Saw some prints at a trade show recently and definately a big difference just not sure how to introduce it yet to all the leagues whether it should be slow or just all at once

Thanks

Post #1, Feb 17, 2012 10:21:25

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RSB
Joined Oct 2009
317 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Some images look good on metallic, others don't benefit. I would have some samples made of all of the products you plan to sell, using your images from a typical job. You might want to offer some products on metallic, the rest on lustre. I certainly wouldn't have everything I sell printed on metallic paper. Cost needs to be taken into account as well.

Post #2, Feb 17, 2012 18:54:28

Randy Brister, Cr.Photog.

Tigershark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
904 posts
KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Randy, my costs do go up around .45 a print. They definately have a unique look to them and really pop. I was at a trade show and some vendors were saying a lot of people were switching over entirely which I find hard so I was thinking about just offering it and showing them samples

Post #3, Feb 18, 2012 11:07:49

Big ­ K
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,021 posts
West Central Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think it will help you at all. Spend your time taking the best images you can. That will go a lot farther than frills such as paper. More expensive paper also requires you to charge more for the same print. The higher your price, the more risk you have of someone underbidding you and the less overall sales you will generate.

Post #4, Feb 18, 2012 21:38:17

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.comexternal link and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
Joined Dec 2006
6,325 posts
Lebanon, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm going to agree with my namesake. I don't think you will see such an increase in metallic sales that it would justify even offering it.

Post #5, Feb 19, 2012 06:44:23 as a reply to Big K's post 9 hours earlier.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ....com&ctz=America/Ne​w_Yorkexternal link

sponsored links
RSB
Joined Oct 2009
317 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tigershark wrote in post #13919832external link
Thanks Randy, my costs do go up around .45 a print. They definately have a unique look to them and really pop. I was at a trade show and some vendors were saying a lot of people were switching over entirely which I find hard so I was thinking about just offering it and showing them samples

And I think a lab's cost for an 8x10 metallic is about an extra 12 or 15 cents a print, so I would imagine they would love to see all of their customers make the switch. I've had a number of sample prints done on metallic, and like I said, some really look good, and others don't. It a bit strange.

Post #6, Feb 19, 2012 10:04:03

NickJushchyshyn
Joined Sep 2008
289 posts
Philadelphia, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Actually, one colleague of mine ran into a bit of revolt by trying to do extra by providing metallic prints instead of luster. Apparently, most of the parents really didn't like the "super glossy" look and ended up re-printing a lot of orders on luster to make families happy.

I do like the look of metallic, and we specifically design some of our graphics to take advantage of it's characteristics, but it's offered as a special request upgrade option rather than across all packages.

Post #7, Feb 20, 2012 20:58:59

www.techvantics.comexternal link

Tigershark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
904 posts
KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Do anyone of you offer digital images as part of your print packages or offer them separately? I am thinking about adding that to my order forms this year, any thoughts?

Post #8, Feb 22, 2012 20:27:36

dwarrenr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,650 posts
Fairland, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Not an overly bad ideal. According to a speak at the PSPA convention that just took place in Las Vegas stated prints are declining and that more people want digital images. I have not done this for T&I yet, but do included digital images in a couple of my larger senior packages.

Post #9, Feb 23, 2012 05:49:48

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickrexternal link - Home Pageexternal link - MaxPreps Gallery -external linkRazziexternal link
Equipment List

Tigershark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
904 posts
KY
[MORE/SHARE]

I include options for digital now for everything but T&I, the big difference is for Seniors, Families, Babies etc there are proofs involved, for T&I there aren't any so I don't feel I could charge what I do on my portrait side but at the same time the kids are scanning and loading them up to FB so why not offer them a digital option. Just haven't figured out what prices to offer and whether or not to offer print package that include a digital option or keep them completely separate

Post #10, Feb 23, 2012 07:08:21

RSB
Joined Oct 2009
317 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I started offering a CD with a high res digital image of the individual player on my Youth League envelope last year. It's $25 a la carte, and I include it as part of my 2 most expensive packages. It has been a big seller. I'm in a unique market area where Leagues pay for a basic package of pictures for each player, so I do anything and everything I can to up sell from that basic package.

I also offer a fully retouched high res individual image on my High School envelope, al a carte for $40, or $50 with an 8x10 print of the team picture. Retouching is done via Portrait Professional, and is usually about a 3 minute task. I also offer, a la carte, retouching of the individual image for $10 for any print order. Portrait Professional has paid for itself many times over, and the combination of retouching and the CD has dramatically increased my overall sales averages.

The fact is, in T&I you are rarely going to get much in the way of reorders. We get a few, but not many. It's best to capitalize as much as you possibly can on the original sale.

Post #11, Feb 23, 2012 11:05:51 as a reply to Tigershark's post 3 hours earlier.

sponsored links
Tigershark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
904 posts
KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Randy,

If you didn't have the leagues pay for a basic package how would you go about marketing the digital image? I have considered adding it to my highest package and then offering it as an a la carte but I fear if I price it at $25 then I will loose print sell packages. I guess I could try and price it differently for the print packages versus a la carte but in my area parents do read the instructions very well and will circle the cheaper price when I have tried separating them out in the past. Do you sell just the plain image or do you sell the image with graphics, all my leagues have custom templates so I just want to offer the plain digital image because saving the image with differnt graphics would be time consuming. Did you ever consider email as a form of delivery instead of a CD to save time and costs? Just exploring here.

Post #12, Feb 23, 2012 12:40:28

RSB
Joined Oct 2009
317 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If I didn't have a League Buy situation, I'd market the CD just as I do now, as an element in my 2 biggest packages, and as an a la carte item. I never sell a digital copy of the team image. No graphics on the images on CD, I have Trading Cards, Magazine Covers, Magnets, Mugs.....and all those other items that are available for sale on the envelope. Way too many issues with emailing images, I just don't find it that effective. My lab actually does the CD's for my youth Leagues, I do my own for High Schools.

Post #13, Feb 23, 2012 14:13:33

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
T&I photographers ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES