Thread started 17 Feb 2012 (Friday) 12:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tomd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
12,939 posts
I live next to my neighbor
[MORE/SHARE]

Background: I am a certified diver, 100+ dives with a Nikonos V.

I don't want to take my old 35mm Nikonos.
I am looking into a dive/snorkel vacation and I was wondering what options I have for u/w photography? Should I rent a housing for my 7D?
rent a complete set up from local dive shop?

Open for ideas?
thanks

Post #1, Feb 17, 2012 12:15:17

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,433 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Given its a vacation and not a vocation, rent what you need.

Post #2, Feb 18, 2012 01:57:54

Preeb
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 posts
Logan County, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Renting makes more sense than buying unless yo are going to use it regularly. And do a test dive without the camera first. You don't want someone else's mistake to become yours. You could end up with no housing AND no camera.

I used to use a Nikonos too, but only rented, never owned one. I have a housing for my PS A720IS P&S camera (I bought the housing before a dive trip to the Philippines), but I've never taken a DSLR on a dive.

Post #3, Feb 18, 2012 07:47:09 as a reply to rick_reno's post 5 hours earlier.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

jser
Joined Oct 2011
281 posts
Devon
[MORE/SHARE]

Simple, use what I have just biought

http://www.google.co.u​k ...QWUn6SPDw&ved=0CF0Q​8wIwAAexternal link

the quality is amazing for the price

Post #4, Feb 18, 2012 07:49:04

www.jrs-photography.co.ukexternal link

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2011
1,687 posts
Manhattan
[MORE/SHARE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think with a hundred plus dives he's going deeper than 9 feet

Post #5, Feb 18, 2012 07:52:25

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sponsored links
RAWuser
Joined Aug 2008
52 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I see in your signature that you have a Canon G10. Here's a link to an OEM housing for G10:

http://www.amazon.com ...TF8&qid=1329576500&​sr=8-1external link

There are more expensive housings available for your Canon G10 if you wish for more features.

Just a suggestion. Worked well for me.

Post #6, Feb 18, 2012 09:27:13

tomd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
12,939 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll look into the options closely.

Keep ideas coming! thanks

Post #7, Feb 18, 2012 11:20:35

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Canon D10 and it works well. I've gad the case for my G seriies cameras and they do work well but it is sometimes hard to see the LCD through the case. The D10 does not have the same problem. It works great for an above ground point and shoot. I spend a few months each winter in Hawaii and do a lot of snorkeling and diving. It is good to about 50 ft if memory serves me correctly.

Sample

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/ssim/image/132239165/medium.jpg

I've also used the Nikon AW100 and it does an equally good job.

Post #8, Feb 18, 2012 11:59:36 as a reply to tomd's post 39 minutes earlier.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Preeb
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 posts
Logan County, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

ssim wrote in post #13920074external link
I have the Canon D10 and it works well. I've gad the case for my G seriies cameras and they do work well but it is sometimes hard to see the LCD through the case. The D10 does not have the same problem. It works great for an above ground point and shoot. I spend a few months each winter in Hawaii and do a lot of snorkeling and diving. It is good to about 50 ft if memory serves me correctly.

I've also used the Nikon AW100 and it does an equally good job.

I have to say, I doubt that I would take something only good to 50 feet unless the bottom was no deeper than that at the particular dive site. If the bottom is deeper than that, it's almost guaranteed that you will go deeper. I'm a good diver (PADI Divemaster certified - 1000+ dives), but on almost any dive there is going to be something to attract my attention deeper than 50 feet if it's possible to go deeper. Especially on a wall dive, it's almost impossible to stay above 50 feet unless you are watching your depth at all times. Wall dives are fabulous, but there is always something just a little bit deeper enticing you to check it out. (I'm not saying that I ignore depth on a wall dive - quite the contrary, I pay very close attention on a dive where there is no bottom - just that 50 feet is nothing on such a dive)

I used the Nikonos V with strobe at more than 100 feet, and I've had my housed A720IS that deep too, even though I didn't shoot much down there with it, since the flash isn't much good for more than about 2-3 feet underwater. The housing for my A720 still costs the same as it did when I bought it 4 years ago, $299 from Canon. Don't know if the one for the G10 is more, but I can tell you that they are good housings. I took the camera on about a dozen dives in the Philippines, and a few others since then, as well as used it for snorkeling and in rainy weather. Still going strong. If you plan on keeping the G10 that might be a good investment for you.

This orangutan crab was taken in the Philippines with the A720 and housing:

IMAGE: http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/priebra/Diving/orangutancrab1.jpg

Post #9, Feb 18, 2012 13:36:54

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

SOX ­ 404
Joined Jun 2006
519 posts
I'm a nomad
[MORE/SHARE]

tomd wrote in post #13915245external link
Background: I am a certified diver, 100+ dives with a Nikonos V.

I don't want to take my old 35mm Nikonos.
I am looking into a dive/snorkel vacation and I was wondering what options I have for u/w photography? Should I rent a housing for my 7D?
rent a complete set up from local dive shop?

Open for ideas?
thanks

If you have extra cash and put many dive logs a year, then investing in the UW camera setup is not a bad idea. My girlfriend just bought a Nauticam housing, (two) Inon 240, and Sola 600 focus light for her 7D. They cost her around 6k+ I believe. I have Aquatica for my 5DII with Ikelite DS-161 strobes. Both of us love our setup although cost a lot, and never regret it. We both put about 50+ dive logs a year.

However, if you don't put a lot of dive logs a year, renting should be a good idea.

Checkout www.wetpixel.comexternal link for UW photography.

Post #10, Feb 28, 2012 10:46:16

AJ
2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 17-40L | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr external link

shane_c
Joined Mar 2007
385 posts
Halifax, NS, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I once had a dream that I put my camera in a clear 4 litre ice cream container and went diving. I got some pretty good shots too. It was pretty cheap and I got to eat the ice cream first. I have been hesitant to try it out in real life though. :-)

Post #11, Feb 28, 2012 11:25:48

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8)

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/shanecostantin​o/external link

sponsored links
tomd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
12,939 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

SOX 404 wrote in post #13983254external link
If you have extra cash and put many dive logs a year, then investing in the UW camera setup is not a bad idea. My girlfriend just bought a Nauticam housing, (two) Inon 240, and Sola 600 focus light for her 7D. They cost her around 6k+ I believe. I have Aquatica for my 5DII with Ikelite DS-161 strobes. Both of us love our setup although cost a lot, and never regret it. We both put about 50+ dive logs a year.

However, if you don't put a lot of dive logs a year, renting should be a good idea.

Checkout www.wetpixel.comexternal link for UW photography.

Thanks. I'm not sure logging many dives per year is in my future, so I am looking to avoid an expensive option at this time. Great link!

Post #12, Feb 29, 2012 07:39:20

GregBeaver
Joined May 2010
132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought a case and camera for about $200 on eBay last year for dive trips to Jamaica and the Bahamas. They worked great. My deepest dive on those trips were 90 feet and they worked perfecety at three atmospheres.

The Canon WP series cases are good to 130 feet. Now obviously the quality of image is much different from my 7D to a Powershot but I wanted to capture the dives and highlights and and was not willing to spend thousands for a 7D housing.

Here is one for sale now for next to nothing. If you already have a Powershot camera you could be shooting cheap. The other reason for my decision to go cheap is lighting. If your dives are more than 10 feet the color shifts are so great you really need good strobes. And then you are thousands more into you set-up. Renting is a good way to go if you want high quality images. This is a good solution and also works great to carry everywhere you go for point and shoot opportunities when you don't want to expose you high end gear to the elements. I'm going to Costa Rica soon and I will definately keep my housed camera in my backpack for the rain forrest and rainy days.

Good Luck.

Post #13, Feb 29, 2012 08:56:16

5D MkII Gripped | 7D Gripped | Canon 300mmL | Canon 70-200mmL USM IS II | Canon 24-105mmL| Canon 17-40mmL | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon TC 2x II | Canon 580EX II | Canon 270EX | PocketWizards Flex TT5s and Mini TT1

GregBeaver
Joined May 2010
132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

forgot link

http://www.ebay.com ...m35ba007ea1#ht_500w​t_1162external link

Post #14, Feb 29, 2012 08:56:57

5D MkII Gripped | 7D Gripped | Canon 300mmL | Canon 70-200mmL USM IS II | Canon 24-105mmL| Canon 17-40mmL | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon TC 2x II | Canon 580EX II | Canon 270EX | PocketWizards Flex TT5s and Mini TT1

gnirtS
Joined Nov 2008
232 posts
South Wales for now
[MORE/SHARE]

Underwater lights are everything. Without it you're limited to the first 5-6m really for any colour no matter what camera you have.

For a "cheap" method i'd suggest getting a good camera compact *that does raw* like the S95 or similar and a canon housing. The performance of those are fine and much cheaper than an SLR housing with the required lens, lens port, strobe and learning curve.

Post #15, Feb 29, 2012 12:21:27

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/whitcomberd/external link
http://www.hvsac.co.ukexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
997 views & 0 likes for this thread
suggest an inexpensive way for underwater photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES