Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Feb 2012 (Friday) 09:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What has been the worst sensor and the best sensor in your opinion?

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Feb 17, 2012 09:59 |  #1

What sensor setup you have used do you think was the best in the history of Canon DSLR cameras for pure image quality?

And what sensor setup do you think was the worst?

Your own experiences preferred.

Share your reasons why you have that view.

-------------

P.S.

This is not a discussion on the other components like AF etc.

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

sponsored links
mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Feb 17, 2012 10:04 |  #2

For me, the best I have used is the 5d classic sensor.

Straight out of the camera and needed minimal editing.

The worst?

Sorry to say this, as it will upset some, but in my experience the worst sensor I have used is the 7d.

I have edited images from the 350d, the 500d, the 50d, the 7d, the 5dc and the 5dII.

All of them were clean, with the 350d and the 5dc being the best (inasmuch as a noiseless image being the "best").

But the 7d, that in my opinion, produces the worst image quality of all the cameras I have used.

The noise the 7d sensor produces is the reason for my own view.

Over to you folks....

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 17, 2012 10:06 |  #3

Having only owned a G2 and the 60D, anything I could express would be limited to my experience with only those two cameras. Having said that I have some stunning shots that are likely 12 x 18 inches from the G2, my first venture into "digital". Most are landscape shots taken about 10 years ago in Jackson Wyoming. I had been an avid film photographer for many years prior to digital.

PACO11
616 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Louth, Ireland
Feb 17, 2012 10:08 |  #4

I agree with the above, although my experience has been with the 550D.... Now when i view images in my library especially those shot from iso 200-800 the 550D pictures stand out like a sore thumb compared to my 5Dii images. Its funny you started this thread as i was just wonder if i should pick up a 5D classic to compliment the 5Dii...

Gear List
celtictenors.comexternal link
photobucketexternal link
facebookexternal link
Colm

Sam
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Northern California
Feb 17, 2012 10:11 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

I don't know about best but my favorite is the 20d. I think more than anything I used it longer than any other DSLR so I was most comfortable with what it could do and adapted it to my shooting style. The 5d mark ii is the "best" I've used as far as image quality, especially at high ISO settings.

I don't have a worst choice for an EOS digital. I did have a canon camcorder that was horrible though.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,036 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 17, 2012 10:15 |  #6

Used or owned?

The best i have used is the Hasselblad V with a 39mp digital back. I realy want one but it's way out of my league. Very nice camera though.

The worst was the Mustek DV3000. I bought it for mo kids when they were small because they were so cheap. It worked, took pics and video but dang the quality sucked.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Feb 19, 2012 05:29 |  #7

Anyone else?

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

Broomer
Joined Sep 2007
Broome, Western Australia
Feb 19, 2012 05:38 |  #8

Are the 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D the same sensor?

Paul

5DIII, 7DII, 40D, 16-35L f4, 17-55 f2.8, 24-105L, 85 1.8, 135 2.0L, 100-400L, 50 1.8 STM, 600ex-rt

jase1125
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Lewisville, TX (DFW)
Feb 19, 2012 07:12 |  #9

Best 1d4 and worst 50d for me.

Jason

ssmanak
420 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Chandigarh, India
Feb 19, 2012 09:08 |  #10

It is not sensor alone, it is sensor + digic 4 processor. So may be, digic 5 or 5+ will lift these sensors performance to next level.
I am waiting for 70D, hopefully it will get 5D2 sensor in APSC format and digic 5+ processor..

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010
South Lyon, MI
Feb 19, 2012 09:23 |  #11

ssmanak wrote in post #13923919external link
I am waiting for 70D, hopefully it will get 5D2 sensor in APSC format and digic 5+ processor..

So basically, you want the old 20D sensor - same sensor density as the 5DM2 (providing the same 8MP as the 20D), but with digic V processor?
Wow....talk about re-introducing old tech! At least the processing and FPS should fly, eh!

OB
Gear list
Flickr Galleryexternal link

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto ON
Feb 19, 2012 09:25 |  #12

Best - 1D4 - absolutely no doubt there.
Worst among the DSLR's was probably the 300D although my experience of it is very limited. I've been pleasantly surprised by a 20D (the equal of a 5Dc,) 40D, 5D2, 1D3. Although the 50D was slightly worse than the 40D, I'd pick the 50D over the 40D any day of the week.

The 7D was underwhelming, particularly in low light. I sold mine 18 months back but (iirc) it's auto-ISO used to run away to places it should never have gone...

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickrexternal link

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010
South Lyon, MI
Feb 19, 2012 09:26 as a reply to Old Baldy's post |  #13

For me, with limited EOS experience, the best has been the 5Dc and the worst has been the 50D. I preferred my earlier 20D to the 50D. Loved the new features, the screen, the C registers, but was underwhelmed by the image quality of the 50D. Images seemed to render "brittle" and artifical, compared to the smooth 20D and smoother 5Dc.

Moving on from 50D to 5D was like.....AHHHHH, YES....life is good again! :)

OB
Gear list
Flickr Galleryexternal link

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 19, 2012 09:28 |  #14

mtimber wrote in post #13914438external link
For me, the best I have used is the 5d classic sensor.

Straight out of the camera and needed minimal editing.

The worst?

Sorry to say this, as it will upset some, but in my experience the worst sensor I have used is the 7d.

I have edited images from the 350d, the 500d, the 50d, the 7d, the 5dc and the 5dII.

All of them were clean, with the 350d and the 5dc being the best (inasmuch as a noiseless image being the "best").

But the 7d, that in my opinion, produces the worst image quality of all the cameras I have used.

The noise the 7d sensor produces is the reason for my own view.

Over to you folks....

That might be true, if all you care about is noise. Noise is not the only criteria for a good sensor, depending on what you are shooting. For other things pixel density matters enough to sacrifice a little bit of noise.

If your final goal, is to make a large print from something you need to deep crop into (like the moon, a plane, or a bird), your final results will be better with the 7D sensor then it would with the 5Dc, or 5D2 sensor.

It just depends on your requirements.

For me, I can honestly say I have not really run into a bad sensor from Canon. I guess if I had to say the one that seems to get the most crap talked about it, it would be the one in the S100.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011
BELGIUM
Feb 19, 2012 09:29 |  #15

Old Baldy wrote in post #13923962external link
For me, with limited EOS experience, the best has been the 5Dc and the worst has been the 50D. I preferred my earlier 20D to the 50D. Loved the new features, was underwhelmed by the image quality of the 50D. Images seemed to render "brittle" and artifical, compared to the smooth 20D and smoother 5Dc.

Moving on from 50D to 5D was like.....AHHHHH, YES....life is good again! :)

+1 !

::: Gear :::
::: Flickrexternal link ::: 500pxexternal link ::: Tumblr.external link :::

sponsored links

7,219 views & 0 likes for this thread
What has been the worst sensor and the best sensor in your opinion?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.