Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #1
StayLucky

Default PocketWizard Plus III

David Hobby just tweeted about the upcoming PA model. Looks awesome!

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/201...igger.html?m=1
StayLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #2
Vascilli

Default Re: PocketWizard Plus III

Impressive. (Especially with the price)
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #3
tman2782

Better, cheaper and it looks like the Lamborghini of remote triggers... I'm glad I hadn't bought PW+2's just yet. Getting 3 as soon as these hit the market.
tman2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #4
TweakMDS
Goldmember

Lovely. PW really needed to do something to grab back the middle of the market, which they were losing to the mid range triggers. Even the "el-cheapo" triggers like Cactus v5's are so good that I simply can't imaging coughing up around $150 more per trigger for more or less identican functionality and maybe going from 99.3% to 99.9% reliability, if even that (random numbers pulled out of my behind, don't quote me on it).
Still, the RP JrX seemed like a great option for me, since I use mixed Nikon flashes on a Canon body.

However, they aren't available in europe (or legal for that matter, but in reality that would be less of an issue).
I'm curious to see early reports on Canon flashes with these, because I do intend to eventually sell a few spare nikon flashes and get at least two ETTL-II flashes.

I worry for PW though, that the upcoming new Canon flagship flash may make them more or less obsolete for the majority of speedlight shooters.
"My featured shots"
TweakMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #5
NothingMan

I have been using RF-602 triggers for a year now professionally and they havent stopped working once! And considering I paid around $100 for 2 transmitters and 4 receivers I dont see what the big deal is. They had to get prices down, Its not like they did it because of the customers.

These things are priced A LOT for what they are.

P.S. Expect the Chinese to come up with an exact replica of these PWs for $40 a pop
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #6
toastyphoto

Am I the only one who finds the design repulsive? How about the fact that they sit sideways in the hotshoe?

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2012/02..._on_Camera.jpg
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #7
mtimber
Cream of the Crop

Without built in flash control like the Odins, I think these are no big deal.

Any trigger I would upgrade to would have to support that function.

A lens doesn't create light, it captures it...
Mark
mtimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #8
liquidtek

the guys at fstoppers did a review on the new PWIII
http://fstoppers.com/plusiii
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #9
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"

I've been beta testing these for a couple weeks now - let me know if you have any questions. I'm also responsible for the above-linked fstoppers article and can clear anything up in the article if necessary.
mikekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #10
Michael Cheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
I've been beta testing these for a couple weeks now - let me know if you have any questions. I'm also responsible for the above-linked fstoppers article and can clear anything up in the article if necessary.
These things look awesome. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but I'm sure others will. If anything, what is your personal opinion on these? Are they worth it as far as manual triggers are concerned? Would be amazing to see a ttl version of these things... well maybe—IDK, just thinking out loud.
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #11
StayLucky

Quote:
How is the hot shoe? Is it any better than the Plus II's? I'm hoping it's more similar to the Mini/Flex hot shoe design. Those seem to sit more securely and lock tighter to the hot shoe and won't be bumped or wiggled out of the shoe mount.
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #12
StayLucky

Quote:
Also, I apologize for not giving you credit for the article. I read it quickly before work today and posted as soon as I could.
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #13
mikekelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cheddar View Post
These things look awesome. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but I'm sure others will. If anything, what is your personal opinion on these? Are they worth it as far as manual triggers are concerned? Would be amazing to see a ttl version of these things... well maybe—IDK, just thinking out loud.
I personally dig them. They'll be a permanent fixture of my kit from here on out, and most likely will be used any time I use flash or need to remotely trigger a camera.

If you already have Plus IIs and are happy, it's really up to you - are the new features with the upgrade? But if you're looking to get into high-quality wireless triggers, I don't think there's any question now. They are the king of the hill as far as non-TTL triggers go (and I've used the original pocketwizard Plus, PLUS II, Cactus, and Phottix dumb triggers).

If TTL is what you need I'd suggest going with a ControlTL system. I use Minis, Flexes, and MC2s to power Einsteins and Speedlights (oftentimes mixed together) for my interior work. The flexibility can't be beat across a range of systems. Einstein, AlienBee, Elinchrom, Dynalite, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayLucky View Post
How is the hot shoe? Is it any better than the Plus II's? I'm hoping it's more similar to the Mini/Flex hot shoe design. Those seem to sit more securely and lock tighter to the hot shoe and won't be bumped or wiggled out of the shoe mount.
It's still plastic but seems to be beefed up a bit and it appears that there is metal reinforcement on the inside (you can just barely see it). The new lock dial is a bit beefier as well. It comes down to having a plastic shoe and breaking the trigger or a metal shoe and breaking the camera. I like PWs decision here. Plus I'm sure the plastic shoe prevents some type of electrical circuit from forming where it isn't needed (during trigger to hotshoe contact) - I'm not an electronics whiz but that seems like a possibility.

Last edited by mikekelley : 20th of February 2012 (Mon) at 15:29.
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #14
mikekelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayLucky View Post
Also, I apologize for not giving you credit for the article. I read it quickly before work today and posted as soon as I could.
Haha no problem at all hope it didn't come off that way, I was flattered to see it here!
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #15
StayLucky

Quote:
I personally dig them. They'll be a permanent fixture of my kit from here on out, and most likely will be used any time I use flash or need to remotely trigger a camera.

If you already have Plus IIs and are happy, it's really up to you - are the new features with the upgrade? But if you're looking to get into high-quality wireless triggers, I don't think there's any question now. They are the king of the hill as far as non-TTL triggers go (and I've used the original pocketwizard Plus, PLUS II, Cactus, and Phottix dumb triggers).

If TTL is what you need I'd suggest going with a ControlTL system. I use Minis, Flexes, and MC2s to power Einsteins and Speedlights (oftentimes mixed together) for my interior work. The flexibility can't be beat across a range of systems. Einstein, AlienBee, Elinchrom, Dynalite, etc etc.

It's still plastic but seems to be beefed up a bit and it appears that there is metal reinforcement on the inside (you can just barely see it). The new lock dial is a bit beefier as well. It comes down to having a plastic shoe and breaking the trigger or a metal shoe and breaking the camera. I like PWs decision here. Plus I'm sure the plastic shoe prevents some type of electrical circuit from forming where it isn't needed (during trigger to hotshoe contact) - I'm not an electronics whiz but that seems like a possibility.

I feel like replacing a plastic shoe would be less expensive and less difficult than a metal shoe.