FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 19 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 23:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

StayLucky
Joined Dec 2010
719 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

David Hobby just tweeted about the upcoming PA model. Looks awesome!

http://www.strobist.bl​ogspot.com ...iis-more-trigger.html?m=1external link

Post #1, Feb 19, 2012 23:26:31

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Vascilli
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
1,474 posts
Calgary
[MORE/SHARE]

Impressive. (Especially with the price)

Post #2, Feb 20, 2012 00:43:25

Flickrexternal link | Gear List

tman2782
Joined Apr 2011
987 posts
Muscat, Oman
[MORE/SHARE]

Better, cheaper and it looks like the Lamborghini of remote triggers... I'm glad I hadn't bought PW+2's just yet. Getting 3 as soon as these hit the market.

Post #3, Feb 20, 2012 01:04:39

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.comexternal link
facebookexternal link | twitterexternal link | flickrexternal link | Google+external link | GearList

TweakMDS
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,242 posts
Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Lovely. PW really needed to do something to grab back the middle of the market, which they were losing to the mid range triggers. Even the "el-cheapo" triggers like Cactus v5's are so good that I simply can't imaging coughing up around $150 more per trigger for more or less identican functionality and maybe going from 99.3% to 99.9% reliability, if even that (random numbers pulled out of my behind, don't quote me on it).
Still, the RP JrX seemed like a great option for me, since I use mixed Nikon flashes on a Canon body.

However, they aren't available in europe (or legal for that matter, but in reality that would be less of an issue).
I'm curious to see early reports on Canon flashes with these, because I do intend to eventually sell a few spare nikon flashes and get at least two ETTL-II flashes.

I worry for PW though, that the upcoming new Canon flagship flash may make them more or less obsolete for the majority of speedlight shooters.

Post #4, Feb 20, 2012 01:17:25

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickrexternal link
"My featured shots"external link

NothingMan
Joined May 2010
39 posts
Bosnia and Herzegovina
[MORE/SHARE]

I have been using RF-602 triggers for a year now professionally and they havent stopped working once! And considering I paid around $100 for 2 transmitters and 4 receivers I dont see what the big deal is. They had to get prices down, Its not like they did it because of the customers.

These things are priced A LOT for what they are.

P.S. Expect the Chinese to come up with an exact replica of these PWs for $40 a pop ;)

Post #5, Feb 20, 2012 07:35:26 as a reply to TweakMDS's post 6 hours earlier.

EOS 5D mkII | 40D | EF 85 1.8 | 17-40L | EF 50 1.8 | EF 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4
MF Lenses : Yashica ML 50 1.4 | SMC Takumar 50 1.4 | Zeiss Pancolar 50 1.8 | Jupiter 37a | SMC Takumar 135 3.5| Zuiko 55/1.2 | Zuiko MC 24 2.8 | Super Takumar 85 1.9 | Zeiss 35 2.4

sponsored links
toastyphoto
Joined Dec 2010
302 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Am I the only one who finds the design repulsive? How about the fact that they sit sideways in the hotshoe?

http://ww1.prweb.com ...Transceiver_on_Came​ra.jpgexternal link

Post #6, Feb 20, 2012 09:04:16

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2010
5,010 posts
Cambs, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Without built in flash control like the Odins, I think these are no big deal.

Any trigger I would upgrade to would have to support that function.

Post #7, Feb 20, 2012 11:02:32

@rtimberlake Print Photographyexternal link / @rtimberlake Facebookexternal link / Business Photographyexternal link / Flickr...external link
A lens doesn't create light, it captures it...
Mark

liquidtek
Joined Apr 2010
198 posts
Aurora, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

the guys at fstoppers did a review on the new PWIII
http://fstoppers.com/p​lusiiiexternal link

Post #8, Feb 20, 2012 11:10:52

1D mk IV | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Canon 430EX II
My SmugMugexternal link

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
Joined Feb 2009
7,317 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been beta testing these for a couple weeks now - let me know if you have any questions. I'm also responsible for the above-linked fstoppers article :) and can clear anything up in the article if necessary.

Post #9, Feb 20, 2012 14:31:47

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture
My Fine Art Galleries
My articles at Fstoppers.comexternal link

Michael ­ Cheddar
Joined Mar 2010
343 posts
Central TX, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

mikekelley wrote in post #13930372external link
I've been beta testing these for a couple weeks now - let me know if you have any questions. I'm also responsible for the above-linked fstoppers article :) and can clear anything up in the article if necessary.

These things look awesome. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but I'm sure others will. If anything, what is your personal opinion on these? Are they worth it as far as manual triggers are concerned? Would be amazing to see a ttl version of these things... well maybe—IDK, just thinking out loud.

Post #10, Feb 20, 2012 15:13:14

5DIII | 35L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II

StayLucky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
719 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

How is the hot shoe? Is it any better than the Plus II's? I'm hoping it's more similar to the Mini/Flex hot shoe design. Those seem to sit more securely and lock tighter to the hot shoe and won't be bumped or wiggled out of the shoe mount.

Post #11, Feb 20, 2012 15:22:57

sponsored links
StayLucky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
719 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, I apologize for not giving you credit for the article. I read it quickly before work today and posted as soon as I could.

Post #12, Feb 20, 2012 15:23:56

mikekelley
Joined Feb 2009
7,317 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Michael Cheddar wrote in post #13930614external link
These things look awesome. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but I'm sure others will. If anything, what is your personal opinion on these? Are they worth it as far as manual triggers are concerned? Would be amazing to see a ttl version of these things... well maybe—IDK, just thinking out loud.

I personally dig them. They'll be a permanent fixture of my kit from here on out, and most likely will be used any time I use flash or need to remotely trigger a camera.

If you already have Plus IIs and are happy, it's really up to you - are the new features with the upgrade? But if you're looking to get into high-quality wireless triggers, I don't think there's any question now. They are the king of the hill as far as non-TTL triggers go (and I've used the original pocketwizard Plus, PLUS II, Cactus, and Phottix dumb triggers).

If TTL is what you need I'd suggest going with a ControlTL system. I use Minis, Flexes, and MC2s to power Einsteins and Speedlights (oftentimes mixed together) for my interior work. The flexibility can't be beat across a range of systems. Einstein, AlienBee, Elinchrom, Dynalite, etc etc.

StayLucky wrote in post #13930669external link
How is the hot shoe? Is it any better than the Plus II's? I'm hoping it's more similar to the Mini/Flex hot shoe design. Those seem to sit more securely and lock tighter to the hot shoe and won't be bumped or wiggled out of the shoe mount.

It's still plastic but seems to be beefed up a bit and it appears that there is metal reinforcement on the inside (you can just barely see it). The new lock dial is a bit beefier as well. It comes down to having a plastic shoe and breaking the trigger or a metal shoe and breaking the camera. I like PWs decision here. Plus I'm sure the plastic shoe prevents some type of electrical circuit from forming where it isn't needed (during trigger to hotshoe contact) - I'm not an electronics whiz but that seems like a possibility.

Post #13, Feb 20, 2012 15:27:33

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
My Fine Art Galleries

mikekelley
Joined Feb 2009
7,317 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

StayLucky wrote in post #13930673external link
Also, I apologize for not giving you credit for the article. I read it quickly before work today and posted as soon as I could.

Haha no problem at all ;) hope it didn't come off that way, I was flattered to see it here!

Post #14, Feb 20, 2012 15:30:18

My Fine Art Galleries

StayLucky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
719 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

mikekelley wrote in post #13930696external link
I personally dig them. They'll be a permanent fixture of my kit from here on out, and most likely will be used any time I use flash or need to remotely trigger a camera.

If you already have Plus IIs and are happy, it's really up to you - are the new features with the upgrade? But if you're looking to get into high-quality wireless triggers, I don't think there's any question now. They are the king of the hill as far as non-TTL triggers go (and I've used the original pocketwizard Plus, PLUS II, Cactus, and Phottix dumb triggers).

If TTL is what you need I'd suggest going with a ControlTL system. I use Minis, Flexes, and MC2s to power Einsteins and Speedlights (oftentimes mixed together) for my interior work. The flexibility can't be beat across a range of systems. Einstein, AlienBee, Elinchrom, Dynalite, etc etc.

It's still plastic but seems to be beefed up a bit and it appears that there is metal reinforcement on the inside (you can just barely see it). The new lock dial is a bit beefier as well. It comes down to having a plastic shoe and breaking the trigger or a metal shoe and breaking the camera. I like PWs decision here. Plus I'm sure the plastic shoe prevents some type of electrical circuit from forming where it isn't needed (during trigger to hotshoe contact) - I'm not an electronics whiz but that seems like a possibility.

I feel like replacing a plastic shoe would be less expensive and less difficult than a metal shoe.

Post #15, Feb 20, 2012 15:31:44

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
PocketWizard Plus III
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES