Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #1
Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember

Default [AIR] Countdown to Ex Maple Flag: 45 - Who's going?

Last years was cancelled because of overseas ops but this year looks good to go.

Taken from the Cold Lake Sun

Quote:
Over a dozen nations are expected to participate in Maple Flag 45, including France, the U.S., the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Austria, Holland and Singapore. The U.S. is planning on sending a contingent comprised of elements from the Air Force, the Navy and the Marine Corps. Roesler-Yue said the U.S. Navy is looking at bringing a squadron of Super Hornets, which would be a first for the Maple Flag exercise.

Other aircraft that could make first-time appearances at Maple Flag include the Hawkeye E2C, a U.S. aircraft equipped with airborne early warning systems and the Canadian C-130J, also known as the "Super Hercules."

Maple Flag 45 is scheduled to start May 28, 2012 and run its exercises until June 22. The Maple Flag open house a chance for the public to meet with members of the participating nations and to get up close with some of the aircraft they brought with them is scheduled for June 16, 2012.

I'm told there's some great spots down by the runway that don't require any kind of special clearance. I'm hoping to make it out there for a few days to see what I can see. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of going as well.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #2
Nmcgrew

Default Re: [AIR] Countdown to Ex Maple Flag: 45 - Who's going?

Trying to find a good reason to be there.
Nmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #3
mike_d
Goldmember

Looks like fun but DAMN that looks remote.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #4
altitude604

*&#!&^*!$%

Unfortunately I think my trip home to BC will be too early and I'll be too poor after to come back West for that.

- Gear List -
altitude604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #5
Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by altitude604 View Post
*&#!&^*!$%

Unfortunately I think my trip home to BC will be too early and I'll be too poor after to come back West for that.
too bad Erik. We'll have to meet up while you're in town though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
Looks like fun but DAMN that looks remote.
that pretty much guarantees spirited flying
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #6
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Got a link or info on where the heck this is happening? I haven't heard of it before, and I can't reach any of the links that come up when I search for the event...
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Snydremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #7
altitude604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydremark View Post
Got a link or info on where the heck this is happening? I haven't heard of it before, and I can't reach any of the links that come up when I search for the event...
Maple Flag happens at CFB Cold Lake waaaay up in northern Alberta.

CYOD (CFB Cold Lake) - N54 24 18 / W110 16 46

Mike - Most definitely! I have to really check out the Museum at YNJ as it's been a long time since I was there last.

- Gear List -
altitude604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #8
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Thanks Erik
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Snydremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2012 (Wed)   #9
FeXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoast_Mike View Post
I'm told there's some great spots down by the runway that don't require any kind of special clearance. I'm hoping to make it out there for a few days to see what I can see. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of going as well.

Hmmm, he said...

Always wanted to photograph this. Any way to verify these "great spots" that don't need clearance?

When would you be going? Over the Open House?
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2012 (Sat)   #10
qbert55ca

As a person that lives 5 miles from the 4 Wing CFB Cold Lake I can tell you this.

They usually have 2 launches a day, usually 8:00 and 13:00 every second Friday is a morning launch only.

There is a large area about 3/4 the way down the runway that is a viewing area for watching the flying.

All persons entering the Base Area need to have a valid picture ID of some type on them and are subject to search without question. Liquor and weapons are not allowed in the viewing area.

The viewing area is about 250 ft from the taxi way and Abbot 600 feet from Runway 31R/13L

There is an 8ft chain link fence between the aircraft and the viewing area. Sticking your camera through the fence is frowned upon but sitting on an truck cab affords an excellent view.

At this spot in the runway the planes are just going wheels up or just touching down, depending on wind direction And no matter what we alwas get a good taxiway view of the fighters.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeXL View Post
Hmmm, he said...

Always wanted to photograph this. Any way to verify these "great spots" that don't need clearance?

When would you be going? Over the Open House?
qbert55ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #11
FeXL

Thx for the info.

Going to see if I can schedule work around this.

Was thinking of bringing up the Hawg but the 'Burb might make a better viewing platform...
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote