Airliners.net Rejections after Rejections...

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 19 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 03:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Emergency ­ Exit
Joined Dec 2011
223 posts
Sentani, Indonesia
[MORE/SHARE]

Is it only me or has anybody else gone through this?

I understand that ANET wants high-quality shots of planes and all, but I'm somewhat getting tired of their pixel peeping.

I signed up at ANET around 4 or 5 years ago. I currently have 2 shots accepted. I have around 12 rejected. (*that's bad*)

Four months ago I uploaded a shot of an ATR72 taking off. Rejected - they said that the photo was *ever so slightly* underexposed and that there was a visible dust spot. (Turned out that it wasn't a dust spot, but instead it was a out-of-focus bird that happened to fly by)

And a week ago I, just returning from a 2-week trip into the jungles of Papua, uploaded a shot of a LongRanger flying by. Gave it around 20 minutes of post-processing until it looked alright to me, and sent it up.

Today, after much waiting for a response, I received the much-loved letter of rejection that my photo was soft. Good thing I didn't delete my uploaded JPEG, I just went back to Photoshop and beefed up the sharpness a bit more.

Not to sound like a noob who doesn't know a bit about photography, but I am growing tired of waiting for weeks and weeks only to get the "Sorry, your photo was rejected (again) because the pixels in your photo weren't aligned the way we wanted it." In this case, I purposely chose not to sharpen my photo that much so that the blue PK-HME registration letters won't be eye-piercingly sharp. But apparently, ANET wants photos to be so sharp that you'll cut your eyeballs just by looking at them.

I originally joined ANET so that I can share photos of unique aircraft doing unique things in a unique place (unlike the typical BA 747 taxiing at Heathrow, or the cliche SXM beach landings), but it looks like ANET isn't interested in photography, but instead pixels. If this is the fact, I believe I have better things to put my time into instead of this.

If I'm wrong, then please correct me, but as for now, I'm pretty disappointed with ANET - not a childish grudge, but actually disappointed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Feb 19, 2012 03:15:46

Emergency Exit Picturesexternal link
EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

They're the last place on the interweb over which I'd lose sleep...

There's a helluva lot more to engaging aviation photography than A-Net's formulaic approach.

If nothing else, their cropping guidelines should be enough for anyone to want to tell them to pound sand.

I never have and never will submit my efforts to those nit-wits.

Post #2, Feb 19, 2012 03:31:51

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Emergency ­ Exit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
223 posts
Sentani, Indonesia
[MORE/SHARE]

My disappointment, justified in 5 panels.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #3, Feb 19, 2012 03:45:23

EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

altitude604
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
1,661 posts
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow... that is pretty much exactly how I felt for the longest time.

Then I quit caring what the screeners thought. But really, like Jay said... Don't lose sleep over it. I've had a ton of rejections of shots where "not level" or "not centred" or "soft". Those included a number of rare and not often seen aircraft that have passed through my location as well!

You can however share with us all you like! We love interesting aircraft and won't reject them. ;)

Post #4, Feb 19, 2012 05:31:21

Erik - Three Miles Finalexternal link
- Gear List -

Slimsphotos
Joined Mar 2008
836 posts
Zurich, Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, tried them once, saw what they were like and figured I'd just start my own website. Been happy ever since :-)

Chris

Post #5, Feb 19, 2012 20:19:24

Aviation Law - If your wings are travelling faster than your fuselage, it better be a helicopter.
Slims Photosexternal link
Facebook Pageexternal link

sponsored links
UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,337 posts
Melbourne FL
[MORE/SHARE]

exactly why I use my own website (currently down for Maintenance for a few days), I have read horror stories of people putting up rare aircraft and having them rejected for being too soft / not centred etc

Martin

Post #6, Feb 21, 2012 03:28:29

Martin | GearList | Website: My photographyexternal link
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

ryanapem
Joined Oct 2009
664 posts
Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, don't worry about it. They fill a very specific niche, one that most people interested in the art of aviation and photography don't fit.

On a side note, where in Papua were you? My brother lives in Sentani and is based at the other end of the airport from Helimission (who operates the Jetranger you gnabbed).

Post #7, Feb 21, 2012 09:26:46

-Ryan
I spend too much on flying to have much equipment worth listing!

Emergency ­ Exit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
223 posts
Sentani, Indonesia
[MORE/SHARE]

ryanapem wrote in post #13935564external link
Yeah, don't worry about it. They fill a very specific niche, one that most people interested in the art of aviation and photography don't fit.

On a side note, where in Papua were you? My brother lives in Sentani and is based at the other end of the airport from Helimission (who operates the Jetranger you gnabbed).

That's very interesting...

I live in Sentani, and am a junior at Hillcrest International School.

Every year our school goes on a two-week trip into the interiors (called Outdoor Education, OE) and this year we went to a village named Silimo, a little south of Wamena (Wamena is where Helimission is). The school split up into two main groups - most of us, including I, took an ATR72 to Wamena and then took MAF's Kodiaks into the village while others took MAF direct.

Once we were all in Silimo the school again split into 6 groups and took PK-HME into different hamlets several miles further south/east. What a great time!

As I said, Helimission is based in Wamena yet you said that your brother lives in Sentani. I would assume the Sentani part is right, so either he works for SusiAir, MAF, AMA or Yajasi.

Anyway... :)

Post #8, Feb 22, 2012 00:39:49

Full Goodies List

ryanapem
Joined Oct 2009
664 posts
Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

Emergency Exit wrote in post #13941539external link
That's very interesting...

I live in Sentani, and am a junior at Hillcrest International School.

Every year our school goes on a two-week trip into the interiors (called Outdoor Education, OE) and this year we went to a village named Silimo, a little south of Wamena (Wamena is where Helimission is). The school split up into two main groups - most of us, including I, took an ATR72 to Wamena and then took MAF's Kodiaks into the village while others took MAF direct.

Once we were all in Silimo the school again split into 6 groups and took PK-HME into different hamlets several miles further south/east. What a great time!

As I said, Helimission is based in Wamena yet you said that your brother lives in Sentani. I would assume the Sentani part is right, so either he works for SusiAir, MAF, AMA or Yajasi.

Anyway... :)

Very cool. Sorry about the confusion. He is an AMA Porter pilot, currently based in Sentani. In a month or so he is moving to Wamena, so I guess I should have said will be based down the airport from Helimission. Sounds like you had a pretty cool trip!

Post #9, Feb 22, 2012 09:12:21

-Ryan
I spend too much on flying to have much equipment worth listing!

Nmcgrew
Joined Oct 2010
874 posts
Mill Creek, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

After being rejected a million times I finally figured out what their formula is. Few weeks ago I was killing time on a pleasant friday evening with a friend. Got a shot of an Egypt Air 737 doing testing up here. When I saw it in the camera I remarked, "Eh, looks like an a.net shot." My buddy told me to upload it and sure enough, it's my one and only accepted shot. I have a folder now that says 'anet' loaded with the shots I think they would like. Haven't gotten around to uploading any of them. Maybe if I have a big enough bottle of rum or whiskey for the weekend...and absolutely nothing else to do. It's really not worth getting butt hurt over it. Oh, and there's not a single shot of a prop airplane in the folder. And only two helicopters. They don't understand prop-blur.

Also, your cartoon misses a big part of why a.net sucks. The first 15 panels should all be of southwest 737s climbing out of somewhere, all with the same incredibly tight and absolutely centered crop and the same angle of attack. Only difference should be tail numbers. Each shot should be perfectly over-sharp and the colors very vivid. But it just be completely boring.

Your shot is great by the way. Here's my one and only.

IMAGE: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/1/4/7/2064741.jpg

Post #10, Feb 24, 2012 13:45:35

Nmcgrew
Joined Oct 2010
874 posts
Mill Creek, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/EarthonFirePhotography/300mm%20lens%20album/_J6Q9881.jpg

Post #11, Feb 24, 2012 13:47:00

sponsored links
altitude604
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
1,661 posts
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

^ WHERE did you find that Me-262?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Awesome catch!!!!!

Here's a listing of my shots that made it through the gauntlet of jp.net screeners... http://www.jetphotos.n​et/showphotos.php?user​id=47261external link

They're just as frustrating as a.net as well. I do kind of want to get three more accepted for an even 60 though. heh

Post #12, Feb 24, 2012 14:57:25

- Gear List -

Emergency ­ Exit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
223 posts
Sentani, Indonesia
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, your cartoon misses a big part of why a.net sucks. The first 15 panels should all be of southwest 737s climbing out of somewhere, all with the same incredibly tight and absolutely centered crop and the same angle of attack. Only difference should be tail numbers. Each shot should be perfectly over-sharp and the colors very vivid. But it just be completely boring.

There we go! If I get the time, I'll work on it - great idea.

And how in the world did you get the 262? That's amazing!

Post #13, Feb 24, 2012 16:11:13

Full Goodies List

Nmcgrew
Joined Oct 2010
874 posts
Mill Creek, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

What -262...I know not of what you mean....

Oh, this little guy?

IMAGE: http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/EarthonFirePhotography/300mm%20lens%20album/_J6Q9900.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/EarthonFirePhotography/300mm%20lens%20album/_J6Q9799.jpg

Seriously though, it was done by Legend Flyers in Everett, WA. Got real up close and personal with it. Runs Lear Jet engines.

Post #14, Feb 24, 2012 16:18:09

altitude604
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
1,661 posts
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

Awesome!!! I'm definitely going to have to pop down there next time I'm back home in BC.

I thought something was up with the engine nacelles. ;)

Post #15, Feb 24, 2012 17:26:59

- Gear List -

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airliners.net Rejections after Rejections...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES