Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #1
Stephen S.

Question First Business Card C&C Appreciated

This is my first attempt at creating a business card using my limited knowledge of Photoshop. I've printed a few of them out on cardstock, but haven't committed to getting a larger quantity printed through an online service yet. I realize that Flickr and Facebook don't necessarily convey the most professional appearance, but I'm currently investigating other options.

I look forward to hearing everyones general comments, criticisms, and critiques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRS Photography Card.jpg (139.2 KB, 732 views)
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #2
Eyenvent

Default Re: First Business Card C&C Appreciated

Stephen I'm no expert at marketing or design but imho try to separate the text to the right at least from the person or blend it somehow. QR code is a great addition.
Eyenvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #3
Stephen S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenvent View Post
Stephen I'm no expert at marketing or design but imho try to separate the text to the right at least from the person or blend it somehow. QR code is a great addition.
Thanks for your suggestion. That bugged me a bit too, but I wasn't sure how to address the problem without making my text smaller. Now that I re-assess the situation it appears that the obvious solution is just to shift my background image farther to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Business Card.jpg (140.5 KB, 681 views)
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4
Nic Rapacz

I have years of graphic design experience and am a marketing coordinator for a large, international company. I'm not bragging, but I just didn't want my comments taken with a grain of salt.

-Nothing lines up. That should be rule one.

-Don't label the QR code. Why should we be told twice that you have a facebook page? Secure a domain, build a website and change the QR code. It'll pay off in the long run.

I'm even skeptical of the QR code. I mean, it shows that you're up to date on your technology, but not many people use these things. If you insist, put it on the back side to avoid clutter.

-Are you attached to that logo? I'm not a fan. It's distracting. While it made me look three times, it was never for a good reason and I still left a little confused.

Overall, I think the card should be cleaned up. Using an image in the background is risky and covering so much space with text or coding is frowned upon. You need to give the eye a chance to rest.

Gripped 7D, Gripped t1i, 24-70L, Nifty 50, Sigma 10-20, 430 EX II, iPad2, Macbook Pro
Nic Rapacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #5
Stephen S.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rapacz View Post
I have years of graphic design experience and am a marketing coordinator for a large, international company. I'm not bragging, but I just didn't want my comments taken with a grain of salt.

-Nothing lines up. That should be rule one.

Duly noted.

-Don't label the QR code. Why should we be told twice that you have a facebook page? Secure a domain, build a website and change the QR code. It'll pay off in the long run.

I thought it would be beneficial to inform people where the QR code would be taking them. I'm looking into building my own site currently.

I'm even skeptical of the QR code. I mean, it shows that you're up to date on your technology, but not many people use these things. If you insist, put it on the back side to avoid clutter.

I hadn't considered a double-sided card, but if I do end up with one I'll place it on the back to avoid some of the clutter. One of my main motivations for including it in the first place was because I'll be passing out a lot of these cards to fans at concerts I attend. With a QR code it's relatively easy for them to scan it in between sets and check out my page versus them forgetting about my card in their wallets.

-Are you attached to that logo? I'm not a fan. It's distracting. While it made me look three times, it was never for a good reason and I still left a little confused.

I'm not particularly attached to it. If and when I get my own site up and running I plan on changing it, but that's another issue for a different thread Just out of curiosity what did you perceive my business name as when viewing the logo?

Overall, I think the card should be cleaned up. Using an image in the background is risky and covering so much space with text or coding is frowned upon. You need to give the eye a chance to rest.

I'm partial to the image on the card, as I feel it is a good display of the work I provide, but agree that it may make the card too busy overall.
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #6
duane0524
Goldmember

I don't have a comment on the design, I just think that you should buy a URL and setup your email there. I can't take you seriously with a gmail email adress.

duane0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #7
Stephen S.

On the to do list: Buy a domain, make a website, and set-up e-mail through said domain.

In the meantime here's another revision. I ditched the Facebook text underneath the QR code, made sure all of my text was vertically aligned, lined up the top of my logo with the top of the QR code, and swapped out the previous photo for one with a bit more space around it.

Let me know how it compares to the previous iterations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Business Card2.jpg (102.1 KB, 640 views)
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #8
mrwalker

Better. Move the QR code off to the back, move the dude to the left side a little more, getting a gap between him and the text...

Reduce font size on email/ flickr/ FB details so that they and the flick/ fb logos together (maybe a logo for email as well?) fit within the width of the "Live Music Photographer" text above.

Not quite sure how it works in your area, but isn't a phone number on the card helpful?
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #9
CatchingUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane0524 View Post
I can't take you seriously with a gmail email adress.
Huh?

"A person's gift will make room for itself."
CatchingUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #10
Tony_Stark
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane0524 View Post
I don't have a comment on the design, I just think that you should buy a URL and setup your email there. I can't take you seriously with a gmail email adress.
Ive seen alot of photogs in my area use a gmail account and that doesnt stop business from coming to them. Im not sure how big of an issue something like this would be. The way I see it I get business from my photos not how my email address looks. If this is false, let me know.

Website | Flickr | Facebook | Automotive Portfolio | Instagram
Tony_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #11
duane0524
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Stark View Post
Ive seen alot of photogs in my area use a gmail account and that doesn't stop business from coming to them. Im not sure how big of an issue something like this would be. The way I see it I get business from my photos not how my email address looks. If this is false, let me know.
OP asked for general comments, so I shared my opinion. I just don't think that free email address say you are professional. That applies to anything, not just photography. Especially in this day and age where you can get a domain and hosting really cheaply with email access included. Your photos may be great, but I can't see that from the card.

duane0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #12
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

I think the text on the right might look better with a right justification. The text lighing up with the straight edge of the card and the rough ends against the rough outline of the people might look better. as well as give the people a bit more space. A center justification would be better as well.

I also might let the QR go. They are dieing instead of growing in usage. The last market study I read said 90% of the people dont even know what they are.

www.the6by6frame.wordpress.com

Last edited by Mark1 : 24th of February 2012 (Fri) at 20:13.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #13
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Stark View Post
Ive seen alot of photogs in my area use a gmail account and that doesnt stop business from coming to them. Im not sure how big of an issue something like this would be. The way I see it I get business from my photos not how my email address looks. If this is false, let me know.

Your images will draw the interest, true. But a free email service wipes out a lot of the credibility that the good pictures give you. Its basic psycology. It just works that way.

www.the6by6frame.wordpress.com

Last edited by Mark1 : 24th of February 2012 (Fri) at 20:15.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #14
bcd01
Goldmember

Would it be safe to say you have the singer or maybe models concurrence to use their image for marketing purposes?
bcd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #15
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

I like the first photo. And I'd love the card if it only said,

Stephen@LiveMusicPhotographer.com

Next best would be,

Live Music Photograper
Stephen Schmidt
stephenschmidt.com

I agree the comments on the QR code and I'm not really sure that people want to use Facebook to make business contacts. Logos don't do much unless you have a range of products on the supermarket shelves. I really like the idea of using the business card as a one-shot portfolio. A few years I met a successful photographer who offered to give me his card. Each of his business cards had a different incredible image on them. He ended up giving me about ten cards and I still have them in my drawer.