Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

Sandals
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2012 20:40 |  #3691

First time posting in this thread. After spending some time going through the pages i tried using what I have, 70-200 F4 IS on a 7D with a 430 EXII as a light source. C&C is very welcome.

Set up:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

soap (external link) by A. Bragason (external link), on Flickr

Settings
Shot @ 189mm
Aperture 5.6
Shutter: 2.5''
ISO: 125

Flash settings
Model: 430 EXII
Power: 1/32
Zoom: 105mm

Result:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Soap-1 (external link) by A. Bragason (external link), on Flickr

Alex :p
7D | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Nifty-Fifty | Tamron 10-24mm | Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS | Canon Speedlite 430ex II |

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 21, 2012 00:07 |  #3692

StephenAndrew wrote in post #13906778 (external link)
Thanks guys - and to answer the person that asked if it's the 055...it is :)

That was me...thanks!! Do all 055s do that (the horizontal center section) or only certain models?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,500 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 21, 2012 07:05 |  #3693

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13933979 (external link)
That was me...thanks!! Do all 055s do that (the horizontal center section) or only certain models?

My 055XPRO does it.

Canon 5D3 | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | ∑ 85 Art | 135L | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 21, 2012 12:10 |  #3694

Here's another from that fashion show on saturday, It was the same setup so I'll just link you to that page instead of reposting the setup image, save the boards some bandwidth!

setup: http://photography-on-the.net …p=13929673&post​count=3674

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Taylor (external link) by LukeCS (external link), on Flickr

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 21, 2012 13:13 |  #3695

This stuff (+ change of lenses)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Did this stuff:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/6890776227_1758b2dce3_o.png
IMAGE LINK: http://www.vimeo.com/t​anzexun/ecclesia  (external link)
Ecclesia, a short film (external link) by Tan Zexun (external link), on Vimeo

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

askydiver
198 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 21, 2012 13:42 |  #3696

Headshotzx wrote in post #13937141 (external link)
This stuff (+ change of lenses)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Did this stuff:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.vimeo.com/t​anzexun/ecclesia  (external link)
Ecclesia, a short film (external link) by Tan Zexun (external link), on Vimeo

That's pretty darn cool man!

How are you mounting the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AI-S Macro to your 5D?

5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped |EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 22, 2012 03:05 |  #3697

askydiver wrote in post #13937415 (external link)
That's pretty darn cool man!

How are you mounting the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AI-S Macro to your 5D?

There are cheap sub-10USD adapters out there to mount manual lenses from other brands (Nikon/Olympus/Pentax M42/Leica etc etc) to Canon EOS mount :) The most important is that the lens has an aperture ring.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 22, 2012 14:13 |  #3698

Headshotzx wrote in post #13941884 (external link)
There are cheap sub-10USD adapters out there to mount manual lenses from other brands (Nikon/Olympus/Pentax M42/Leica etc etc) to Canon EOS mount :) The most important is that the lens has an aperture ring.

You mean Leica R I'm guessing. Actually the most important thing would be that the flange back distance is greater than that of the EF mount unless you don't mind losing infinity focus and possibly only be able to focus to a couple feet or less. An aperture ring isn't a requirement, just a mechanical aperture mechanism so even the newer Nikon G lenses that lack an aperture ring can be just as usable. This is because there are adapters, although not as cheap, that interface with the aperture linkage on the rear of the lens allowing you to open and close the aperture. I also think Pentax's newer lenses are the same as this, I don't think they've moved to electronic aperture control for the K mount.

Gear List

mike3767
241 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2012 14:52 |  #3699

OK, I'm pretty frustrated and want to through my camera against the wall!!!!! For the life of me, I can not figure out how to do the water drops on glass and have a subject below it. I can focus on the water drops but the subject below isn't even showing up on the water drops! From the pictures, I've done exactly what you guys have done but mine does not work!!!!!!! What are your guys settings? I have OCF (550 or 400 alien bee) so lighting isn't an issue.

Canon 5D MKII, TS-E 17Lmm, 100Lmm Macro,24-70Lmm, 70-200LIImm

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 22, 2012 18:25 |  #3700

I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might fit here too. The Spoon Technique for direct flash, either it's a P&S or a Rebel, or similar.

If you don't have an external flash, and can't bounce it easily for a softer look, here's a trick for you. Always have a spoon in your pocket, and you're set. Angle the spoon some 45° or similar to the flash to soften it.

IMAGE: http://petrahall.se/files/spoon_technique_02.jpg

The result without and with the spoon.

IMAGE: http://petrahall.se/files/spoon_technique_01.jpg

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Quiexo
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 22, 2012 18:36 |  #3701

CyberPet wrote in post #13946532 (external link)
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might fit here too. The Spoon Technique for direct flash, either it's a P&S or a Rebel, or similar.

If you don't have an external flash, and can't bounce it easily for a softer look, here's a trick for you. Always have a spoon in your pocket, and you're set. Angle the spoon some 45° or similar to the flash to soften it.

QUOTED IMAGE

The result without and with the spoon.

QUOTED IMAGE

THAT is seriously cool...will try that with my G12...:D

1D MkIII, 5D3, Sigma 24mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake + 85mm f/1.8 + 100mm f/2.8 macro, Ricoh GR

katodog
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2012 18:44 |  #3702

Okay, I hope I'm not going to be the only one who sticks a spoon in his camera bag...even with external flash, that's a freakin' cool idea and needs to be used....

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,500 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 22, 2012 18:45 |  #3703

katodog wrote in post #13946655 (external link)
Okay, I hope I'm not going to be the only one who sticks a spoon in his camera bag...even with external flash, that's a freakin' cool idea and needs to be used....

Pllllleeease don't do it....... :lol:

Omnibounce maybe? :lol:

Canon 5D3 | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | ∑ 85 Art | 135L | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 22, 2012 19:01 |  #3704

LOL, it's cheaper than buying an Omnibounce, but a bit of a hassle as you sort of lose one hand for stability holding the camera. But for party photo's it could be a neat trick for more pleasing portraits, etc. :)

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

katodog
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2012 19:03 |  #3705

328iGuy wrote in post #13946662 (external link)
Pllllleeease don't do it....... :lol:

Omnibounce maybe? :lol:

Sorry, I'm an odd sort, gonna go stick a spoon in my bag right now, just to make you mad...

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links

4,599,793 views & 7,103 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.