Jewelry Photography: High Key on a Horizontal Plane

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 15 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 18:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Bloo ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
1,508 posts
Central Province Bindair Dundat
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

That bangle was shot about seven months ago. If I remember correctly, it was a set of two and together the price tag was in the neighborhood of $17,000. They were estate pieces from the Victorian period.

It might have been possible to have shot two separate images of the brooch and then blend them, but that would have required two lighting setups. Remember, those two were shot on a 4x5 view camera with a studio light. The difference between working with a 4x5 view camera and a DSLR is like the difference between getting a donkey and a terrier to jump through a hoop.

In digital photography, the most common solution for presenting diamonds as perfectly lit stones which reside on the same plane is to clone one diamond (or two if the tops of the diamond reside on two planes) and then drop it into the setting. This is more commonly done in generic representations ("here 's a diamond ring") rather in specific representations of jewelry for sale ("this diamond ring costs $50,000"). If you look at enough jewelry advertisements (especially the ones in the jewelry trade magazines) you'll notice that this is common. You won't see it done in specific pieces for sale very often, though (if ever).

Post #16, Mar 21, 2005 03:48:05 as a reply to post 458472

Bloo Dog
Last will and testament : Tough luck. I spent it all.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Claire
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I am not even reading how you shoot the jewellery. I'm just drooling over the emerald necklace. :)

Post #17, Mar 21, 2005 05:26:42

My Photo Website -external link | My Flickr galleryexternal link | Photography Blogexternal link | My Twitter accountexternal link | Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,109 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

The difference between working with a 4x5 view camera and a DSLR is like the difference between getting a donkey and a terrier to jump through a hoop.

There's an anology! :D:D We used to shoot 8X10" "polaroids" for ADs who couldn't visualize what they saw on the ground glass. A B&W sheet of neg film processed in Dektol, "fixed" & washed in about 2 minutes, squeeged off & slapped on a viewer. This show & tell was an extra billable item & it made them feel that we were doing our best to help them to CYA. Plus it was a fun part of the dog & pony show that gave us a 10 minute break. ;)

Post #18, Mar 21, 2005 08:06:48

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Bloo ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
1,508 posts
Central Province Bindair Dundat
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I've never been able to figure out why some ADs insist upon going on a shoot. I can see it if you're going to shoot something which is really elaborate with a cast of fifty people.

I had an AD come for a simple product shoot once. It made no sense. All it did was slow me down. I did a headshot for a political candidate. I had an AD and a campaign manager looking over my shoulder. That was really productive.

I rarely do work directly for agencies. Now I work for the client but the AD will sometimes contact me if he/she doesn't like an image. That's happened on this catalogue thing I'm in the middle of. The beauty of digital is that the AD can be in another part of the country and i can upload the image. If I have a question or if someone else has a question, the phone rings. Usually, I work undisturbed.

Post #19, Mar 21, 2005 09:41:32 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post 1 hour earlier.

Bloo Dog
Last will and testament : Tough luck. I spent it all.

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,109 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

I've never been able to figure out why some ADs insist upon going on a shoot. I can see it if you're going to shoot something which is really elaborate with a cast of fifty people.

:D:D:D It gets them out of the office, proves their input is indenspensable, & allows them to brag about how they "saved the client account" when they made critical on-the-spot changes to the turkey photographers set-up! :D

Someday, but me a beer & I'll tell you all about the 1-month job for Ford of Europe in Italy that incorporated 5 ADs (NY, London (2), Rome, Naples), an AE from Germany, 3 models, stylist, wives & hangers-on, etc., & out of all these, only one swingin' di*k could speak Italian & English!

Post #20, Mar 21, 2005 10:45:01

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
SuperHuman21
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,219 posts
Charlotte, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

How come there's so little left of the thread?

Post #21, Feb 22, 2012 23:22:51

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,109 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13948477external link
How come there's so little left of the thread?

Because Bloo left in a huff. And why are you resurrecting a 7 year old thread, anyway?
If you need Jewelery info...
Jewelry Photography Lighting Tips

Simple Light setup for Necklace photographyexternal link

Simple Light setup for Necklace photography

And since you used a descriptive title & are "Search challenged", look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

Post #22, Feb 23, 2012 10:32:06

tomj
Joined May 2010
579 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

"sheet of neg film processed in Dektol, "fixed" & washed in about 2 minutes"

Wow, that brings back some memories!

Post #23, Feb 23, 2012 14:03:25 as a reply to post 450983

Flickrexternal link

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,219 posts
Charlotte, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

PhotosGuy wrote in post #13951054external link
Because Bloo left in a huff. And why are you resurrecting a 7 year old thread, anyway?
If you need Jewelery info...
Jewelry Photography Lighting Tips

Simple Light setup for Necklace photographyexternal link

Simple Light setup for Necklace photography

And since you used a descriptive title & are "Search challenged", look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

That's too bad.

Wow, I don't know how I missed the corner threads suggestions, I've never noticed it. :o

Thanks for the links, I've already seen pretty much all of it; I'm just always looking for something new.

Post #24, Feb 23, 2012 15:58:55

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jewelry Photography: High Key on a Horizontal Plane
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES