Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of March 2005 (Mon)   #16
Bloo Dog
User is banned from forums

Default Re: Jewelry Photography: High Key on a Horizontal Plane

That bangle was shot about seven months ago. If I remember correctly, it was a set of two and together the price tag was in the neighborhood of $17,000. They were estate pieces from the Victorian period.

It might have been possible to have shot two separate images of the brooch and then blend them, but that would have required two lighting setups. Remember, those two were shot on a 4x5 view camera with a studio light. The difference between working with a 4x5 view camera and a DSLR is like the difference between getting a donkey and a terrier to jump through a hoop.

In digital photography, the most common solution for presenting diamonds as perfectly lit stones which reside on the same plane is to clone one diamond (or two if the tops of the diamond reside on two planes) and then drop it into the setting. This is more commonly done in generic representations ("here 's a diamond ring") rather in specific representations of jewelry for sale ("this diamond ring costs $50,000"). If you look at enough jewelry advertisements (especially the ones in the jewelry trade magazines) you'll notice that this is common. You won't see it done in specific pieces for sale very often, though (if ever).

Last edited by Bloo Dog : 21st of March 2005 (Mon) at 05:36.
Bloo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of March 2005 (Mon)   #17
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

I am not even reading how you shoot the jewellery. I'm just drooling over the emerald necklace.

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2005 (Mon)   #18
PhotosGuy

Quote:
The difference between working with a 4x5 view camera and a DSLR is like the difference between getting a donkey and a terrier to jump through a hoop.
There's an anology! We used to shoot 8X10" "polaroids" for ADs who couldn't visualize what they saw on the ground glass. A B&W sheet of neg film processed in Dektol, "fixed" & washed in about 2 minutes, squeeged off & slapped on a viewer. This show & tell was an extra billable item & it made them feel that we were doing our best to help them to CYA. Plus it was a fun part of the dog & pony show that gave us a 10 minute break.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of March 2005 (Mon)   #19
Bloo Dog
User is banned from forums

I've never been able to figure out why some ADs insist upon going on a shoot. I can see it if you're going to shoot something which is really elaborate with a cast of fifty people.

I had an AD come for a simple product shoot once. It made no sense. All it did was slow me down. I did a headshot for a political candidate. I had an AD and a campaign manager looking over my shoulder. That was really productive.

I rarely do work directly for agencies. Now I work for the client but the AD will sometimes contact me if he/she doesn't like an image. That's happened on this catalogue thing I'm in the middle of. The beauty of digital is that the AD can be in another part of the country and i can upload the image. If I have a question or if someone else has a question, the phone rings. Usually, I work undisturbed.
Bloo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2005 (Mon)   #20
PhotosGuy

Quote:
I've never been able to figure out why some ADs insist upon going on a shoot. I can see it if you're going to shoot something which is really elaborate with a cast of fifty people.
It gets them out of the office, proves their input is indenspensable, & allows them to brag about how they "saved the client account" when they made critical on-the-spot changes to the turkey photographers set-up!

Someday, but me a beer & I'll tell you all about the 1-month job for Ford of Europe in Italy that incorporated 5 ADs (NY, London (2), Rome, Naples), an AE from Germany, 3 models, stylist, wives & hangers-on, etc., & out of all these, only one swingin' di*k could speak Italian & English!
Attached Images
File Type: gif rotfl2.gif (1.3 KB, 600 views)

Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #21
SuperHuman21
Goldmember

How come there's so little left of the thread?
SuperHuman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #22
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHuman21 View Post
How come there's so little left of the thread?
Because Bloo left in a huff. And why are you resurrecting a 7 year old thread, anyway?
If you need Jewelery info...
Jewelry Photography Lighting Tips

Simple Light setup for Necklace photography

And since you used a descriptive title & are "Search challenged", look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #23
tomj

"sheet of neg film processed in Dektol, "fixed" & washed in about 2 minutes"

Wow, that brings back some memories!
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #24
SuperHuman21
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
Because Bloo left in a huff. And why are you resurrecting a 7 year old thread, anyway?
If you need Jewelery info...
Jewelry Photography Lighting Tips

And since you used a descriptive title & are "Search challenged", look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.
That's too bad.

Wow, I don't know how I missed the corner threads suggestions, I've never noticed it.

Thanks for the links, I've already seen pretty much all of it; I'm just always looking for something new.
SuperHuman21 is offline   Reply With Quote