Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #46
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Default Re: how art photography looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaghdadFred View Post
So this school teaches good photographers to how to create ****ty crooked uninspired snap shots with people cut off?

http://www.itf.cz/images_studentske_...004-nahled.jpg
Funny thing is that the series that includes that shot is the only one in the OP that appeals to me at all. The pics remind me of Magritte's "Son of Man", the painting of the business man with an apple in front of his face. We don't need to see their faces or even their upper bodies because they are just generic tourists in tourist places doing tourist things.
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #47
sjones
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by shniks View Post
200 years from now they will be calling Harry Potter a classic. Wasnt the hobbit a children's book? They now consider it to be a literary classic. Weren't the beatles a pop group?...
Not all that is successful is bad, but units sold is not an accurate measure of quality. Really, do we need to list the absolute muck and horror that was (or is) nevertheless popular?

Formulaic vapidity might not always be synonymous with the mainstream, but neither is it always antithetical…sometimes, they're best buddies.

It's the Photographer | God Loves Photoshop | Photography & Art | Art Sucks
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #48
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
Funny thing is that the series that includes that shot is the only one in the OP that appeals to me at all. The pics remind me of Magritte's "Son of Man", the painting of the business man with an apple in front of his face. We don't need to see their faces or even their upper bodies because they are just generic tourists in tourist places doing tourist things.
I to think those are interesting in the fact your mind fills in any face that you imagine and its very typical of those kinda family travel snapshots. I'm sure its part of a large series and these people which look to be the same in all the images, their faces are not important because they could be anyone. Its actually kind of funny to see the photographer took a very snap shot approach. It kinda reminds me of the work of Bill Owens or William Eggleston in the fact it is kinda showing middle class, suburban society in a snap shot kinda way. That approach fits the tone and the message well I think.

Last edited by airfrogusmc : 23rd of February 2012 (Thu) at 20:36.
airfrogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #49
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Not all that is successful is bad, but units sold is not an accurate measure of quality. Really, do we need to list the absolute muck and horror that was (or is) nevertheless popular?

Formulaic vapidity might not always be synonymous with the mainstream, but neither is it always antithetical…sometimes, they're best buddies.
Exactly and remember that Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime and Weston lived a very humble existence.
airfrogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #50
jra
Cream of the Crop

I find this overall discussion very difficult. On one hand, we basically have one individual trying to dictate what is good art and what isn't to everyone else. On the other hand, what is good art and what isn't ultimately lies within the viewer and creator.....and yet on the other hand, art isn't completely subjective.....there are certain measures that will hold one artist higher than another. IMO, it all must play together in an effort to create an overall experience.
In fine art, so much value seems to be put upon the name.......simply owning an original piece created by a certain well known name would skyrocket it's value regardless of its artistic merit.
For myself, great artwork is far more of an opinion and feeling than a fact.
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #51
ChrisSearle

Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

There seem to be quite a few people here with strong opinions about 'what art is'.... It all seems a bit 'Daily Mail' to me. People have been arguing about what art is and what makes good art since the dawn of time and by people I don't mean just academics. One thing is clear though and that is there is no universally agreed clear definition. Only opinion.
When I hear somebody say dogmatically that 'Art is blah blah..' I back away slowly....

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2m.blogspot.in/
ChrisSearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #52
BaghdadFred

Quote:
I've seen quite a few of the photo streams of some of the active members of POTN and I would rate many of them as Very Good to Outstanding work. This stuff I just don't get. I don't sport a goatee, but my shaved head is somewhat hipster

Would you have been satisfied to have taken this shot?

My next crooked/missed frame shot coming soon to this thread as "Art"
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #53
mrwalker

De gustibus non est disputandum
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #54
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaghdadFred View Post
Would you have been satisfied to have taken this shot?
If I chose to do a project that consisted of "spoof" vacation photos then yes I would be satisfied with shots like this. If you cannot understand "parody" then it's best that we end this discussion now.
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #55
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
If I chose to do a project that consisted of "spoof" vacation photos then yes I would be satisfied with shots like this. If you cannot understand "parody" then it's best that we end this discussion now.
Well, do you think it was the intent of the photog of those photos to provide a "spoof", or was the intent more "serious"?

I seriously can't tell.

There are some folks here on POTN that do show some real interest in this type of subject matter, especially some "street" photographers here who have posted numerous "feet shots" and they are not "spoofy". Some compositions I find interesting, some, well, not-so-much.

So, the question is does this photographer approach the "snapshot look" tongue-in-cheek, or with a more seiously "artistic intent", or...?
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #56
sjones
Goldmember

Maybe it was the photographer's intent to generate the very discussion that is taking place on this thread. Maybe it was just an ill-conceived venture into artsy pretentiousness. Or maybe it was a parody, or some type of commentary (humorous, serious, reflective…) on the vernacular. Maybe it was a sincere but debatably contrived attempt to skirt conventionality.

Whatever the reason, it was the apparent intent of the photographer to produce the photos as they are, and in this sense, it is irrelevant how any other person might feel if they had taken the same lot. And anyway, some folks on here actually like them, should that even matter to the photographer, so there's room for everything.

By the way, this is a very good example of where context can help, meaning that I don't believe that a good photo is one that should be able to stand alone. Explanations, captions, framing: all of these things can elevate the value and certainly the understanding of a photograph.

It's the Photographer | God Loves Photoshop | Photography & Art | Art Sucks
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #57
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Maybe it was the photographer's intent to generate the very discussion that is taking place on this thread. Maybe it was just an ill-conceived venture into artsy pretentiousness. Or maybe it was a parody, or some type of commentary (humorous, serious, reflective…) on the vernacular. Maybe it was a sincere but debatably contrived attempt to skirt conventionality.

Whatever the reason, it was the apparent intent of the photographer to produce the photos as they are, and in this sense, it is irrelevant how any other person might feel if they had taken the same lot. And anyway, some folks on here actually like them, should that even matter to the photographer, so there's room for everything.

By the way, this is a very good example of where context can help, meaning that I don't believe that a good photo is one that should be able to stand alone. Explanations, captions, framing: all of these things can elevate the value and certainly the understanding of a photograph.
So, how would you apply this to the "bodiless feet/leg" series?

I'm trying to approach this thread from a thoughtful viewpoint, although hellbike (the OP) posted these links with a pretty negative commentary regarding us POTNers and our abiltiy to assess "art".

I admit, I'm no artist or art "critic", but I'm always curious to get some "real world perspective" from folks!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #58
joedlh
Goldmember

Location: Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgamron View Post
The whole serious was pics of no faces, which was the intention of the photographer.
BRILLIANT! The fact that I never thought to do that brings home clearly and with great disappointment that I will never be an artist.

But seriously, I think all the arts are burdened with a dire need to be original and not derivative. And how can one not be derivative with millions of others plying the same craft? It's tremendously freeing to throw up one's hands in defeat and then go out and do stuff that you find meaningful without worrying about how others are going to take it.

Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now.
http://photo.joedlh.net
joedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #59
Huntbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
Well, do you think it was the intent of the photog of those photos to provide a "spoof", or was the intent more "serious"?

I seriously can't tell.

There are some folks here on POTN that do show some real interest in this type of subject matter, especially some "street" photographers here who have posted numerous "feet shots" and they are not "spoofy". Some compositions I find interesting, some, well, not-so-much.

So, the question is does this photographer approach the "snapshot look" tongue-in-cheek, or with a more seiously "artistic intent", or...?

Now is when someone should point out that if this photographer had a blog, to explain what was happening, what the photographer was thinking or seeing at that moment, a lot of this talk would not be taking place.
Huntbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2012 (Fri)   #60
BobOh

How are we to sort out this thread? Obviously the OP, and a few others think the linked photographs are "good art". The majority seem to hold a dimmer view. There's where the OP went wrong. This thread should have been a poll. I think we all know what the results would have been. My personal opinion is the OP mixed up the "before" pictures with the "after" pictures, if you know what I mean.

Tony Long's theory that the "art" in these photos is that they are imitations of typical tourist snapshots taken with, maybe, a disposable camera, is the only theory that makes sense to me. But then, who cares? Let's all try to take the most amateurish photos we can and try to pass them off as art? We could really set "photography as art" back years.

Pfft, a total waste of time and effort. That's my vote FWIW.
BobOh is offline   Reply With Quote