CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 18:38   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,381 posts
Feilding, NZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Lesmore wrote in post #13922293external link
I think Canon's position is at best...politically correct.

No, it's 21st century.

Post #91, Feb 22, 2012 21:32:11

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Lesmore
Joined Jan 2011
874 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #13925618external link
As I see it, it's best to learn the tool of the trade before using them. Take my actual day job, for instance. I'm a dentist. The last thing you want if you were a patient is to sit in a chair and see your dentist bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill. While no one is born with the knowledge of how to operate said drill, you would expect nothing less than your dentist knowing how to operate it before he/she uses it on you.

So enlighten me then, what would you garner from a printed owner's manual in hand? If not for how to get to and operate the various controls and navigate the built-in menu... you're looking for what... Sunny 16 rules and suggestions?

I would hope as a dentist ( hard to tell on the internet) that you would have reference materials close at hand, perhaps in an adjoining office.

Many medical doctors carry their reference material either electronically or in print, in an adjoining office, for quick and easy reference.

There are many occasions when a patient presents with a concern that is not typical.

Most professionals would not claim to know and retain all knowledge...without the occasional refresher...but they also would have the wisdom not to...as you say... " bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill" in front of the patient.

The same goes for avid photographers who wish to go beyond setting the camera on automatic and hope for the best.

Post #92, Feb 25, 2012 17:10:51

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,169 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Lesmore wrote in post #13966217external link
I would hope as a dentist ( hard to tell on the internet) that you would have reference materials close at hand, perhaps in an adjoining office.

Many medical doctors carry their reference material either electronically or in print, in an adjoining office, for quick and easy reference.

There are many occasions when a patient presents with a concern that is not typical.

Most professionals would not claim to know and retain all knowledge...without the occasional refresher...but they also would have the wisdom not to...as you say... " bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill" in front of the patient.

The same goes for avid photographers who wish to go beyond setting the camera on automatic and hope for the best.

Oh, I don't claim to know it all. But I know how to use my tools.

You're confusing something. Knowing how to use the tool is not the same as knowing how to identify the difference between a malignant soft-tissue lesion vs. a benign. And it's actually quite simple, without an actual biopsy, you will never be able to say with 100% certainty whether an irregular lesion is malignant or benign. MD's practice w/ differential diagnosis. There are infinitely more variables to rule out and watch for. But their tool, so to speak, is their mind. How they've trained their minds to start ruling out improbable diagnosis to help them limit down the probabilities.

For general dentistry, it's rather straight forward. Kind of like knowing aperture, shutter speed, iso in photography. Is there decay? Yes/no. Do the X-rays show decay? Yes/no. Does it need treatment? Yes/no. If your dentist needs a reference manual for what decay looks like... best of luck to you.

So your analogy, unfortunately, doesn't work.

But you still haven't answered my question regarding what exactly is in the owner's manual for a digital camera (a tool), that you would need to reference to out in the field? Something that you couldn't have learned the feature/function of said tool prior to going out into the field?

Post #93, Feb 25, 2012 17:17:44

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
Joined Feb 2009
2,636 posts
Kansas City
[MORE/SHARE]

alund wrote in post #13939424external link
You have had your fun. Many of you have exposed your intelligence while belittling mine.

You certainly have exposed your intelligence. This thread was all but dead until you chime in again. You really need to listen to what others are saying and adjust your thinking.

Post #94, Feb 25, 2012 18:00:02

Gear
EOS M ...all anyone needs for great pic's.....if they know what they're doing

LeejCanonDig2009
Hatchling
Joined May 2009
4 posts
Austin, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I put the PDF manual on my iPhone and iPad along with the David Busch book Kindle version. I enjoyed being able to read up on the workings on the camera when I was stuck somewhere; like in line at the post office, waiting on a flight, etc.

It's nice being able to carry several books and other reading material in one's pocket, for the same trouble and weight as only one.

Post #95, Mar 06, 2012 15:58:20 as a reply to tmwag's post 9 days earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

alund wrote in post #13939424external link
If Canon would put the manual on a memory card and make it viewable on the camera......

That's actually not a bad idea. Some kind of condensed manual stored in the camera. The screens are all getting pretty nice and big so it would be doable.

Post #96, Mar 06, 2012 16:03:14

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Hivoltage
Joined Oct 2007
312 posts
Newark, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I carry a 5 gallon bucket around with all my manuals in....works pretty good!

Post #97, Mar 06, 2012 16:26:13

Just got me a G7 X on order:)

Gerry67
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2012
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

This is the 21st centry - printed manuals are a thing of the past, Please stop being such a dinosaur !!

Post #98, Mar 07, 2012 11:52:45

donbga
Joined Jan 2007
171 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Anke wrote in post #13875383external link
You have to admit though it was always nice to get new gear and then sit down with a cup of tea and flip through the manual :)

Unless it was for the kettle to make the tea in which case you'd have to read the manual first.

That's what e-Readers and tablets are for.

For pedestrian reading manuals it makes perfect sense and cents.

For coffee table books - not so much.

Post #99, Mar 12, 2012 00:03:18

TweakMDS
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,242 posts
Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

I always immediately toss manuals back into the box of said product, and store that box in my storage room - to eventually throw it away (unless it's a lens). If I want to look something up in the manual (rare), I'd rather take the PDF and read it on my computer / tablet / phone.
So I agree 100% with Canon's decision to stop including the manual.

Post #100, Mar 12, 2012 04:52:34

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickrexternal link
"My featured shots"external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
12,971 views & 0 likes for this thread
CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES