Joined Mar 2010
15,984 posts
Nelson, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Because I'm right handed!

Post #46, Feb 26, 2012 03:50:13

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ump107
Joined Jan 2009
62 posts
NJ USA
[MORE/SHARE]

My first SLR was a Nikormat EL, I have still have multiple lenses and this camera, it was given to my from a old press photographer that had been retired for some time and had purchased a early model Kodak P&S to keep herself occupied without the hassles of processing film. I used this camera for over 10 years. I made the switch to Canon when my Nikormat developed shutter problems during my college photography class. The Canon Rebel was the camera I could get the fastest and came with two lenses. When I made the switch to a DSLR it only made sense to continue with the Canon brand as I had two Canon compatible EF lenses. Had a Nikon Film camera been available I might be shooting with a Nikon now.

That is my answer to those who ask me why I shoot Canon. I looked at Nikon but couldn’t get a Nikon camera fast enough to get a class assignment done in time. I have told others who ask me about cameras that I am by no means an expert and that the best way for them to decide on what to buy is to check out reviews, and get your hands on a camera in a camera store where the staff has a better chance about being knowledgeable about the cameras they sell.

Post #47, Feb 26, 2012 08:50:40

Alan
Full Gear List
Canon 40D, Canon BG-E2N Battery grip, Canon 580 EX II
Canon 18-55mm EFS 3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 28-105mm EF 3.5-4 USM, Canon 50mm 1.8,
Tamron 28-80mm 3.5-5.6, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

"Years ago, Canon had a real advantage over Nikon in having FF sensor size, and in having lower noise when high ISO. That advantage is now largely no longer an issue, as Nikon caught up. So like choosing Nissan vs. Toyota, it is an individually based subjective choice...based on control layout, how it feels in your hand, etc., the many factors which are different for every buyer! The choice is not brand name based, but what two models you are specifically comparing."

Post #48, Feb 26, 2012 13:14:24

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,019 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

There is no right or wrong answer to the question "why Canon over Nikon" because each company is on par with the other, really. It is a question of what you like or tend to shoot, and which company caters to those particular needs with their line up of bodies and lenses. For example, "If" Nikon makes a better body for low light situations, people who shoot in low light much of the time might gravitate towards Nikon. Studio shooters using strobes most of the time, won't consider that a factor. Sometimes, there IS no reason, it's just how it all went down. I don't know why people feel the need to get all defensive when asked the question. To me, it is a matter of figuring out what your needs are MOST OF THE TIME, and then evaluating which company can fill those needs best with their product line up. The problem comes in when your needs change from time to time and you can only chose one system....

Post #49, Feb 26, 2012 13:27:57

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,142 posts
Boston
[MORE/SHARE]

Canajun wrote in post #13961360external link
I chose Canon because the majority of my family members and close friends have Canon.

Interesting. I think that my initial decision had something also to do with most of family members owning NIkon. I wanted to be different so that they wouldn't compare their cameras with mine. Now, I think a part of me recommends Nikon to some people so that I wouldn't have to share my lenses with them. :p

Post #50, Feb 26, 2012 16:51:51

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.comexternal link | Boston POTN Flickrexternal link | Boston POTN Member List (updated 1/28/14)
5D3 | 5D2 | 16-35 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.8 | 70-200 IS 2.8 | 430 EX | 580 EX II

sponsored links
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon sounds better. Nikon sounds like either a disease state or a kung fu discipline.

Post #51, Feb 26, 2012 18:20:09

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link
[SIZE=2]:cool:

DennisW1
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,802 posts
Chicago, IL area
[MORE/SHARE]

Nathan wrote in post #13959523external link
First of all, let it be said that this is not another Canon versus Nikon thread.

Now, I ask this question: Are we expected to hold the competitor brand in some sort of contempt? There is a presumption of brand loyalty out there and even in this forum where members may question others about their decision to "jump ship." I understand that there are certainly valid reasons to why we choose one brand over another - analogs in other consumer areas exist in the choice between car manufacturers, computer models and operating systems, and Coke versus Pepsi to name a few.

However, why is the presumption that something must be wrong with the other brand for us to choose the one we use? People often ask me why I decided to buy Canon. I tell them I like the feel of it in my hands. Then they delve a little further and ask what's wrong with Nikon. When I tell them Nikon is a very reputable company and, in some respects and for some people, can be considered better than Canon (ex: arguably, AF or ISO performance). Then they are surprise that I would make such not so disparaging remarks. Am I expected to be hateful? Just let me take some photos.

Thoughts?

There is nothing "wrong" with either brand. And quite frankly either camera can produce excellent images. The biggest variable has always been the nut behind the viewfinder.
Personal preferences have a lot to do with it. Some prefer the ergonomics of one over the other, some honestly believe that one brand has better quality bodies or lenses than the other, but in the end I still believe it's all a wash.
If you're just starting out, it really makes little difference which brand you choose or why you make that choice. Learn how the camera works, learn how to use it and how to see, and it really won't matter if the front of the camera says "C" or "N".
It's like the old Chevy vs. Ford arguments that car enthusiasts have had ever since the two brands existed, just with cameras instead.

Post #52, Feb 26, 2012 18:27:11

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,014 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Nathan wrote in post #13959523external link
First of all, let it be said that this is not another Canon versus Nikon thread.

Now, I ask this question: Are we expected to hold the competitor brand in some sort of contempt? There is a presumption of brand loyalty out there and even in this forum where members may question others about their decision to "jump ship." I understand that there are certainly valid reasons to why we choose one brand over another - analogs in other consumer areas exist in the choice between car manufacturers, computer models and operating systems, and Coke versus Pepsi to name a few.

However, why is the presumption that something must be wrong with the other brand for us to choose the one we use? People often ask me why I decided to buy Canon. I tell them I like the feel of it in my hands. Then they delve a little further and ask what's wrong with Nikon. When I tell them Nikon is a very reputable company and, in some respects and for some people, can be considered better than Canon (ex: arguably, AF or ISO performance). Then they are surprise that I would make such not so disparaging remarks. Am I expected to be hateful? Just let me take some photos.

Thoughts?

I've always thought that the whole thing was sort of silly in the first place. They both make fine cameras. And on the list of things that make or break a photograph, "Canon or Nikon" has gotta be pretty damn close to the bottom of the list. Who cares?

As far as why I use Canon, it's because my parents bought me a Canon film SLR a long time ago, along with a couple of lenses. When I got my first DSLR, I couldn't really afford to buy lenses to replace my old ones, so I just got a Canon DSLR that let me use my old lenses. If I were rolling in dough I might consider switching to Nikon. But money's pretty tight. And whenever I do have cash to spend on photo gear, I can pretty much ALWAYS find a better use for it than using it to switch brands.

Post #53, Feb 27, 2012 00:13:49

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,014 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #13960182external link
I don't, I've never been asked that question.

Once this guy I know saw me shooting with a Canon and said, "I thought you knew what you were doing."

My response? I just laughed along with him. The whole "Canon vs Nikon" thing can be sort of fun in a geeky techno-elitism sort of way, like egging a friend on for using a PC instead of a Mac, but I've never considered myself a gearhead. I don't take the issue the least bit seriously. Canon works just fine. Is Nikon better? Maybe. But I'm not rolling in the dough. So unless someone wnts to hand me a big wad of money to make the switch, I've got far better uses for my money than switching brands. Until then, I'm sticking with what I've got. People shoot damn fine images with Canon, and I can do the same. When I fail to do that, I don't blame Canon. Likewise, when I get great shots, I (not Canon) get the credit.

Post #54, Feb 27, 2012 00:28:35

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

suecassidy wrote in post #13970169external link
There is no right or wrong answer to the question "why Canon over Nikon" because each company is on par with the other, really. It is a question of what you like or tend to shoot, and which company caters to those particular needs with their line up of bodies and lenses. For example, "If" Nikon makes a better body for low light situations, people who shoot in low light much of the time might gravitate towards Nikon. Studio shooters using strobes most of the time, won't consider that a factor. Sometimes, there IS no reason, it's just how it all went down. I don't know why people feel the need to get all defensive when asked the question. To me, it is a matter of figuring out what your needs are MOST OF THE TIME, and then evaluating which company can fill those needs best with their product line up. The problem comes in when your needs change from time to time and you can only chose one system....

That is great answer Sue. I think that people put too much into the question when in reality I think that many times the other person is simply trying to open a dialog to talk about photography.

I don't think that Canon is any better than Nikon as a company. You can take it down to specific body functions and pick them each apart but either of them would serve many of us well. I infact do own some Nikon gear but my Canon is what I make my living with. I won the Nikon in a contest and it mostly gets used in holiday and family shots. It does take just as good a shot as my high end Canon does. I ended up with Canon largely because I always had a Canon in the film era but never used 35mm in commercial work, that was always reserved for my medium format gear. I did have a Canon F1 and as far as a 35mm body you would be hard pressed to find anything better. When it came time to go digital I could have easily gone out and asked this same question as I was facing replacing all the glass because of a change from the FD to the EF lens mount. Once you are happy with one manufacturer you tend to be consistent with it.

Post #55, Feb 27, 2012 00:50:49

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

mattia
Joined Feb 2009
528 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got a similar approach to the OP; I got into Canon because they had the affordable system back in the day. If I had to choose a new system now, I'd probably stick with Canon for reasons of ergonomics.

What I tend to tell people who ask which camera they should buy is to a) read some reviews and then b) go to a store and see which cameras feel 'right' in the hand, because honestly, in real world terms, I don't think there are really significant, major differences between the big brands. I just don't gel with Nikon's control layout. And camera bodies come and go, differences for prints and web use (what most people use this stuff for) are negligible, and I know I can't pick out what pic was taken with what camera in a blind test under most circumstances.

Post #56, Feb 27, 2012 04:28:46

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links
Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,142 posts
Boston
[MORE/SHARE]

I have to respect my elders - so I was taught and thus hold my tongue.

An old friend of my father-in-law's came to visit and he happened to have picked up photography in his retirement age. His composition isn't half bad, but he relies heavily on Auto mode. Putting that aside, he also happened to shoot Canon. He makes a comment, "Canon is a good camera, but to be professional you have to shoot with Nikon."

Post #57, Feb 27, 2012 08:02:39 as a reply to mattia's post 3 hours earlier.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.comexternal link | Boston POTN Flickrexternal link | Boston POTN Member List (updated 1/28/14)
5D3 | 5D2 | 16-35 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.8 | 70-200 IS 2.8 | 430 EX | 580 EX II

shack
Joined Dec 2007
515 posts
Knoxville, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

As a Minolta shooter in my film days, that was where I first looked when it was time to move to a DSLR. I tend to find something that works for me and stick with it until it fails to deliver what I need. I am not a hopper...moving from one brand or technology to another looking for that last last minute degree of improvement. Something NEW has to be justified by providing something I NEED...not just something that is cool or has a "wow" factor.

I stared my digital journey with Kodak P&S for family snapshots and by the time I realized the DSLR was he way to go Canon and Nikon were dominating the market and Konica/Minolta was fading fast and ultimately stopped DSLR production altogether. A shame really... but they never lived up to the "potential" of the merger. Too little...too late.

As luck would have it I started with a Canon Digital Rebel and soon after a 10D. I just liked them better than the Nikon offerings at the time. I built my lens and accessories around Canon bodies, and I have been completely satisfied with everything about my Canon gear. I have no desire to change even though Nikon (an others) make fine cameras. Canon will have to do something to lose my loyalty like terrible customer service when I need help with one of their products. Not coming out with the absolute latest/greatest features in the "upgrade war"' is not something that will cause me to change. As long as they continue to make good products that allow me to make the images I want, and treat me well when I need service and/or help...I will be a loyal Canon DSLR owner.

Post #58, Feb 27, 2012 09:22:46

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

firefighter4u
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
1,121 posts
Bradford, Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the little red triangle thing near the shutter button looks dumb - thats why I picked Canon... and Consumer Reports rated the 450D very high at the time! lol

Post #59, Feb 27, 2012 11:36:26

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

bps
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2007
6,739 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I always chuckle when people ask "Canon or Nikon?" It's very simple to me.

Both are great companies that make great products. It's nothing more than a personal choice as to which one fits you better. And then I also go on to tell them, it's the photographer, not the camera...

Bryan

Post #60, Feb 27, 2012 12:02:32

My Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES