FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 18:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

djgno1
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2012
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I know youve probably heard this a million times. But I am in need of a new computer, I want to edit 7d footage and also will need to be editing photos to be printed and mounted. I dont know alot about building computer so please try to keep it as simple as possible ;)

I understand theres has been alot of hassle with editing 7d video but am hoping there is something available now that people can reccommnend. any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Post #1, Feb 24, 2012 18:44:30

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JDM555
Joined Jun 2007
263 posts
San Jose, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Most likely a quad core, 4-8GB of ram, and decent-nice GPU. If you have no idea, look into 2600K Processor, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz or G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600mhz ram, and a 560 GPU or something. Search on newegg, and research around.

Post #2, Feb 24, 2012 19:25:36

Kit For Sale - Canon T2i | Sigma 30 1.4 | Rokinon 85 1.4 | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 - Kit For Sale

Flickrexternal link
YouTubeexternal link

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
5,394 posts
Dallas TX
[MORE/SHARE]

If you're not going to build your own computer, here is a sight http://www.ibuypower.c​om/external link
(Gibsonla recommended in another thread)
If you're willing to spend some, those gaming computers are really good because they already come with good graphics, processors, and processors. Of course if you're more comfortable with a certain brand then you should get specs similar to those gaming computers.
A good graphics card, 8G RAM, and an i7 processor should keep you happily editing video for a while :)
(make sure your computer can handle more RAM later if you want to save a little money upfront. For example, if it comes with 6G RAM but can handle 20G, just get the 6 and add RAM later, its not expensive or difficult to do and will typically cost less if you do it yourself.)

Post #3, Feb 24, 2012 19:52:39

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you planning on building your own? Sounds to me like youre looking to buy a pre-built, which is never a good route to go IMO.

Post #4, Feb 27, 2012 11:19:21

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

i5-2500 or i7-2600 and 16GB of RAM (if you go prebuilt, get minimum RAM and add your own later to save $100 or more). Large 7200 RPM drive to hold video. Decent (But not high end gamer) video card for smooth HD playback. The rest is up to you.

Most of the "hassle" with editing DSLR video is that it comes in a file format that is less common (h.264 in .MOV wrapper). It's not really a hardware thing.

ben_r_ wrote in post #13976245external link
like youre looking to buy a pre-built, which is never a good route to go IMO.

Never? You might argue that custom builds are a bit more flexible, but arguing that it is never good to go with a prebuilt is quite a stretch.

Post #5, Feb 27, 2012 11:28:59

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
Bleufire
Joined Mar 2008
888 posts
Santa Cruz, California
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #13976301external link
Never? You might argue that custom builds are a bit more flexible, but arguing that it is never good to go with a prebuilt is quite a stretch.

+1

There is nothing wrong with prebuilt. Honestly to say that is like one of us scoffing at someone else for buying a point and shoot camera instead of a DSLR or ILC, IMHO.

Post #6, Feb 27, 2012 11:36:12

5D*6D*Sigma 35/1.4*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 85/1.8*EF 17-40/4/2
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR!external link

ben_r_
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #13976301external link

;) Never say never.

Granted there are some pre-built computers out there that use nothing but good quality components, most arent looking at those as they are typically aimed at the gaming community and at least a couple grand and can in many cases be built yourself for much less. Anything less like your average Dell, HP, or whatever I personally have no faith in having once been a PC technician for a couple years and seeing the kinds of parts those manufacturers use.

Post #7, Feb 27, 2012 15:52:47

GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Silverfox1
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,180 posts
South Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I just built the below rig and i am thoroughly enjoying the speed of performing any task with the most intense video & editing programs available. Sony Vegas, Cyberlink Powerdirector, CS5 extended, PSP X4, etc.

Im not into playing games so the 16GB of Ram & the single Nvidia 560ti video card is more then sufficient for rendering & authoring most any software programs that photographers like us need.

I highly suggest building your own PC and not buying the ready made brand names that utilize cheap parts or worse yet proprietary parts like Dell ! If you cant build it yourself which really is easy, at least order one from IBuypower and ask them to install the OS for you along with all the current drivers.

Ordered my Parts from Newegg & a few from Amazon:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0
CPU : i7-2600K
Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme
Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb
Video: EVGA Nvidia 560ti
HDD: SSD 120GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust
NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DVD Burner

LG Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

Asus VW246H Monitor/ HDMI

I spent less on this rig then i did for my Canon 70-200 MKII last year !

Regards & Good Luck, Ron ;)

Post #8, Feb 27, 2012 20:43:16 as a reply to ben_r_'s post 4 hours earlier.

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

ben_r_
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

^^^ Sounds like a good build to me but the advantage of going with the 570 series graphics card or greater for the CUDA processor that the Adobe suite makes use of can be pretty great. Something to think about. Next month Ill be upgrading to a GTX 570 myself.

Post #9, Feb 28, 2012 15:34:34

Silverfox1
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,180 posts
South Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

ben_r_ wrote in post #13985117external link
^^^ Sounds like a good build to me but the advantage of going with the 570 series graphics card or greater for the CUDA processor that the Adobe suite makes use of can be pretty great. Something to think about. Next month Ill be upgrading to a GTX 570 myself.

I was one click away from getting the GTX 570 but so far the 96 less cuda cores in the GTX 560ti along with the 16gb of ddr3 1600 ram has had absolutely no problems running the Adobe CS5 extended, Perfect Photo Suite 6.0, or any of the video rendering engines in Sony Vegas, PowerDirector, etc.

http://www.geforce.com ...re/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560tiexternal link

In 6 months when the price drops on the GTX 580 i might get it if i run across a program that seems to be taxing the 560 ti.

At present im waiting on seeing some reviews on the supposed release of the LG DM52 27" IPS panel monitor.

http://www.flatpanelsh​d.com ...on=showfull&id=1324​551456external link

Seems like every 3 months something new is being released to get our money ! :p

Regards & Get that GTX 570 ! ;)

Post #10, Feb 29, 2012 22:38:49

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

ben_r_
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Silverfox1 wrote in post #13994865external link
I was one click away from getting the GTX 570 but so far the 96 less cuda cores in the GTX 560ti along with the 16gb of ddr3 1600 ram has had absolutely no problems running the Adobe CS5 extended, Perfect Photo Suite 6.0, or any of the video rendering engines in Sony Vegas, PowerDirector, etc.

http://www.geforce.com ...re/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560tiexternal link

In 6 months when the price drops on the GTX 580 i might get it if i run across a program that seems to be taxing the 560 ti.

At present im waiting on seeing some reviews on the supposed release of the LG DM52 27" IPS panel monitor.

http://www.flatpanelsh​d.com ...on=showfull&id=1324​551456external link

Seems like every 3 months something new is being released to get our money ! :p

Regards & Get that GTX 570 ! ;)

Im sure the 560 does perform well. Heck, even my old 8800GTX performs great. But without choosing one of the selected cards that Adobe supports in their software you just cant take full advantage: LINKexternal link

Post #11, Mar 01, 2012 11:36:08

sponsored links
superNoid
Joined Oct 2009
208 posts
California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you guys help me out troubleshooting my choppy live preview play? I didn't want to create a new thread.

PC Specs (not the newest specs but nothing, not a single game or process has really pushed my system until now)

Intel Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2
AMD Radeon 5850 @ 850/1200
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Misc SATA stored...
Win7 Ultimate 64

I'm running Premiere Pro CS5 64bit w/Magic Bullet on my SSD. Loading in RAW .MOV (or .M2TS from Vixia HF10) footage from my 7D and scrobbling and live preview works as it should. Once I start applying effects, whether from Magic Bullet or standard PP CS5 effects, my live preview drops frames to unbearable levels. I have playback resolution set to 1/2 and have tested 1/4, to no avail. I dont want to render video after every change.

Is this a problem with working with RAW video files? I kind of dealt with this in the past with Cyberlink PowerDirector Ultra 7 but its been awhile since I've done video edits. Ideally I do not want my workflow to consist of source file conversion before going into PP. If I have to I will, but I'm looking for some advice/work-a-rounds to see if I can get things sustainable now.

I can easily add more RAM (and plan to), but looking at procmon and other memory management tools it doesn't appear that Memory is my bottleneck. Anyone have any advice?

Post #12, Mar 04, 2012 15:39:04 as a reply to ben_r_'s post 3 days earlier.

Canon 7D | 24-70 2.8L| 50 1.8 | 18-55 3.5 IS | Speedlite 430EX II | LowPro Slingshot 202AW | Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 | LCDVF | Home Strobist Setup

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you checked CPU utilization while running those live edits? I would suspect your Q6600 is finally showing it's age. My q6600 system can hit 60% utilization just playing back 1080p video from the 60D.

Post #13, Mar 04, 2012 15:48:12

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

gibsonla
Joined Oct 2009
994 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MOTHERBOARDS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

So many people overlook the motherboard it makes me want to punch myself in the face. That's where a lot of these pre-built and brand computers fall short. They use horrible horrible stock motherboards which leads to lots of problems down the line. My recommendations in order

1) Build it yourself - this is the cheapest and most efficient route to go. It's actually quite an easy process
2) Buy a custom "gaming" computer from a site like www.ibuypower.comexternal link - you'll get more for your money and it's the closest thing to building one without actually building it
3) Buy a severely overpriced but nice apple computer
4) Buy anything but a dell - this is purely opinion based, nothing but horrible experience with their computers.

Post #14, Mar 04, 2012 19:27:19

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.comexternal link

superNoid
Joined Oct 2009
208 posts
California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #14021974external link
Have you checked CPU utilization while running those live edits? I would suspect your Q6600 is finally showing it's age. My q6600 system can hit 60% utilization just playing back 1080p video from the 60D.

I'll double check, I have the CPU voltage modded and overclocked from 2.4 to 3.0 each core. Its never been the bottleneck for me, that used to be disc until I parted in a SSD.

Post #15, Mar 04, 2012 20:15:30

Canon 7D | 24-70 2.8L| 50 1.8 | 18-55 3.5 IS | Speedlite 430EX II | LowPro Slingshot 202AW | Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 | LCDVF | Home Strobist Setup

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
What PC for editing 7D video.. PLEASE HELP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES