Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #1
uOpt
Goldmember

Default Does tape damage the white "Canon" logos?

I'm thinking about putting black tape about my Canon logo and the model info.

I'm concerned that the glue might be aggressive and damage the white paint the logos are made from. Anyone knows whether that is possible or likely?
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #2
Stavhp
Goldmember

Default Re: Does tape damage the white "Canon" logos?

a little tub of white paint to fix that would cost how much though? wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly damaged.
Stop worrying and black tape it up
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3
Jericobot
Cream of the Crop

Seriously
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #4
Delija

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post

I'm concerned that the glue might be aggressive and damage the white paint the logos are made from. Anyone knows whether that is possible or likely?
Why would you put tape over the logos? I know that they do it on TV shows and in movies - and why they do it. But do you?

Maybe you have a good reason (that I can't think of) - but if it's a case of 'monkey see" - it's not going to have any connection at all to why it's done for mass media.

Gaffer's tape should not leave any glue - most of it is black so that would make your camera more "discreet", but bright orange would be cool too! Maybe use a black "Magic Marker" on the orange and carefully write "Homeland Security" on the tape and it might get you into some cool restricted areas
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #5
MOkoFOko
Dirty Old Man carrying a full pee and poo can

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post

It's simple really, cut out some strips of paper just slightly less than the dimensions of the tape, and put both over your target area. No lettering is touched by tape. When you pull it off, any residue can be removed with a couple swipes of ethanol.

I'm moko ಠ_ರೃ
I enjoy long walks on the beach.
I also enjoy long walks off a short pier.
MOkoFOko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #6
MOkoFOko
Dirty Old Man carrying a full pee and poo can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavhp View Post
a little tub of white paint to fix that would cost how much though? wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly damaged.
Stop worrying and black tape it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Why would you put tape over the logos? I know that they do it on TV shows and in movies - and why they do it. But do you?

Maybe you have a good reason (that I can't think of) - but if it's a case of 'monkey see" - it's not going to have any connection at all to why it's done for mass media.

Gaffer's tape should not leave any glue - most of it is black so that would make your camera more "discreet", but bright orange would be cool too! Maybe use a black "Magic Marker" on the orange and carefully write "Homeland Security" on the tape and it might get you into some cool restricted areas
In the end, he wasn't asking for our judgement--he simply wanted to know if and how it could be done. Anything beyond that, I doubt he cares to read.

I started a thread about finding matching paints to fix body scratches, and I was inundated with sarcastic remarks.

I'm moko ಠ_ರೃ
I enjoy long walks on the beach.
I also enjoy long walks off a short pier.
MOkoFOko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #7
mrbtd

It all depends on the tape there are plenty of safe release adhesives out there...

Even within types i.e. electrical tape you will see a bunch of different adhesives used.
mrbtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #8
uOpt
Goldmember

I simply want to reduce the attention of wannabe criminals. These days most criminals in most western countries only commit when they have actual confirmation about the value of the goods. If they don't know for sure whether they get a Rebel or a 7d or a 5d2 that makes a big difference in today's environment.

I actually thought about using some aluminium foil to protect the white logo. Wouldn't work very well for the red rings, though.

Oh and yes I need some black touch-up paint, too . Damn CPS strap!
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #9
h4ppydaze

Just buy gaffer tape, it has an adhesive that won't damage the paint. The paint is really quite hardy.
h4ppydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #10
uOpt
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ppydaze View Post
Just buy gaffer tape, it has an adhesive that won't damage the paint. The paint is really quite hardy.
It's a little hard to find *actual* gaffer tape, though, the product name is heavily abused.

I wonder whether they have painter's tape in black.
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #11
h4ppydaze

try ordering it online? It's really handy to have around.
h4ppydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #12
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

Not really sure why you'd want to cover up the logos, I really don't think most thieves are all that discriminating.... But....

Get some black gaffer tape... You can order it from B&H or find it in most pro-photo and video gear shops. It can be pricey, though. A local hardware store (Orchard Supply Hardware) near me used to have it at a really good price, but it looks like their's isn't such a good deal anymore. Lots of choices on Amazon, too.

Gaffer tape doesn't leave any residue. I use it to cover switches on lenses, and the camera's mode dial, to keep them from getting moved accidentally... As well as tape down electric cords, secure strobe stands, repair or fasten lighting modifiers, backgrounds and seamless, yada, yada...

I've even used it once to protect a horse's hoof temporarily. And, another time, used a few strips to hold up a broken fiberglass bumper on a race car.

It's far, far better than "duct" (aka "duck") tape!

It also holds much better and is a lot stronger than "painters" tape.

Sticks well, unsticks without leaving residue, resticks a few times usually, is fairly waterproof and tough. It's also got a rough texture that makes for a good grip. It's available in several colors, plus black & white.

I recommend getting the wider stuff.... It's easy to split it right down the center if narrower is needed.

"Gaffer" refers to the crew that sets things up for Hollywood shoots... They use the stuff by the ton.

As to touching up scratches on black camera bodies, I use this stuff. It's also available in matte finish, but I usually just use the gloss, let it dry partially, then tap it with my fingertip to reduce the gloss and add some texture. You can control the glossiness and texture a bit that way, to better match the original finish. This paint has more pigment in it than most, so covers in a single coat really well. It isn't as durable as the original baked-on finish, but stays on pretty well and is fairly easy to touch up again if needed. I dunno about touchup for Canon "ecru" on the big, white lenses... might be able to find something close in the touch-up paints at an auto parts store.

Last edited by amfoto1 : 28th of February 2012 (Tue) at 13:56.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #13
Raylon

I don't think most criminals know or care. They are opportunists. If a big camera is hanging off somebody that they can grab, they could care less if it's a Rebel or a 1D. So covering up the logo's isn't going to do much.
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #14
monkeymagic

Yes, the thief will definitely consult his canon catalogue before jacking your camera to make sure he's picking up a recent model and not some beat up old rebel.
monkeymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #15
mannyboi

If this guy is stupid enough to steal your camera, he is stupid enough to steal any DSLR. No matter if it is a rebel or a 1D, a camera is a fine piece of easily resellabe electronics. Afterwards the thief might find out that its not a super-pricey camera, he still will make some money off it.
mannyboi is offline   Reply With Quote