Does tape damage the white "Canon" logos?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 12:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

uOpt
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm thinking about putting black tape about my Canon logo and the model info.

I'm concerned that the glue might be aggressive and damage the white paint the logos are made from. Anyone knows whether that is possible or likely?

Post #1, Feb 28, 2012 12:35:02

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Stavhp
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
2,303 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

a little tub of white paint to fix that would cost how much though? wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly damaged.
Stop worrying and black tape it up

Post #2, Feb 28, 2012 12:39:42

Canon 7D, sigma 17-70, Canon 50mm F1.8, Canon 70-300mm IS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stav-p/external link

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2010
5,124 posts
preppingforthetrumpets
[MORE/SHARE]

Seriously

Post #3, Feb 28, 2012 12:43:17

Leica X2 // Sony RX1
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Delija
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
1,095 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

uOpt wrote in post #13983849external link

I'm concerned that the glue might be aggressive and damage the white paint the logos are made from. Anyone knows whether that is possible or likely?

Why would you put tape over the logos? I know that they do it on TV shows and in movies - and why they do it. But do you?

Maybe you have a good reason (that I can't think of) - but if it's a case of 'monkey see" - it's not going to have any connection at all to why it's done for mass media.

Gaffer's tape should not leave any glue - most of it is black so that would make your camera more "discreet", but bright orange would be cool too! Maybe use a black "Magic Marker" on the orange and carefully write "Homeland Security" on the tape and it might get you into some cool restricted areas ??? :rolleyes:

Post #4, Feb 28, 2012 12:45:31

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

MOkoFOko
Dirty Old Man carrying a full pee and poo can
Joined Jun 2010
19,508 posts
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
[MORE/SHARE]

uOpt wrote in post #13983849external link

It's simple really, cut out some strips of paper just slightly less than the dimensions of the tape, and put both over your target area. No lettering is touched by tape. When you pull it off, any residue can be removed with a couple swipes of ethanol.

Post #5, Feb 28, 2012 12:49:37

My Gearlist
I'm moko ಠ_ರೃ
I enjoy long walks on the beach.
I also enjoy long walks off a short pier.

sponsored links
MOkoFOko
Dirty Old Man carrying a full pee and poo can
Joined Jun 2010
19,508 posts
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
[MORE/SHARE]

Stavhp wrote in post #13983885external link
a little tub of white paint to fix that would cost how much though? wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly damaged.
Stop worrying and black tape it up

Delija wrote in post #13983938external link
Why would you put tape over the logos? I know that they do it on TV shows and in movies - and why they do it. But do you?

Maybe you have a good reason (that I can't think of) - but if it's a case of 'monkey see" - it's not going to have any connection at all to why it's done for mass media.

Gaffer's tape should not leave any glue - most of it is black so that would make your camera more "discreet", but bright orange would be cool too! Maybe use a black "Magic Marker" on the orange and carefully write "Homeland Security" on the tape and it might get you into some cool restricted areas ??? :rolleyes:

In the end, he wasn't asking for our judgement--he simply wanted to know if and how it could be done. Anything beyond that, I doubt he cares to read.

I started a thread about finding matching paints to fix body scratches, and I was inundated with sarcastic remarks.

Post #6, Feb 28, 2012 12:52:10

My Gearlist
I'm moko ಠ_ರೃ
I enjoy long walks on the beach.
I also enjoy long walks off a short pier.

mrbtd
Joined Nov 2009
418 posts
Lindenhurst, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

It all depends on the tape there are plenty of safe release adhesives out there...

Even within types i.e. electrical tape you will see a bunch of different adhesives used.

Post #7, Feb 28, 2012 12:54:45

uOpt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I simply want to reduce the attention of wannabe criminals. These days most criminals in most western countries only commit when they have actual confirmation about the value of the goods. If they don't know for sure whether they get a Rebel or a 7d or a 5d2 that makes a big difference in today's environment.

I actually thought about using some aluminium foil to protect the white logo. Wouldn't work very well for the red rings, though.

Oh and yes I need some black touch-up paint, too :). Damn CPS strap!

Post #8, Feb 28, 2012 12:55:38

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
1,324 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just buy gaffer tape, it has an adhesive that won't damage the paint. The paint is really quite hardy.

Post #9, Feb 28, 2012 13:01:37

uOpt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13984096external link
Just buy gaffer tape, it has an adhesive that won't damage the paint. The paint is really quite hardy.

It's a little hard to find *actual* gaffer tape, though, the product name is heavily abused.

I wonder whether they have painter's tape in black.

Post #10, Feb 28, 2012 13:10:44

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
1,324 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

try ordering it online? It's really handy to have around.

Post #11, Feb 28, 2012 13:12:18

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,050 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Not really sure why you'd want to cover up the logos, I really don't think most thieves are all that discriminating.... But....

Get some black gaffer tape... You can order it from B&Hexternal linkor find it in most pro-photo and video gear shops. It can be pricey, though. A local hardware store (Orchard Supply Hardwareexternal link) near me used to have it at a really good price, but it looks like their's isn't such a good deal anymore. Lots of choices on Amazonexternal link, too.

Gaffer tape doesn't leave any residue. I use it to cover switches on lenses, and the camera's mode dial, to keep them from getting moved accidentally... As well as tape down electric cords, secure strobe stands, repair or fasten lighting modifiers, backgrounds and seamless, yada, yada...

I've even used it once to protect a horse's hoof temporarily. And, another time, used a few strips to hold up a broken fiberglass bumper on a race car.

It's far, far better than "duct" (aka "duck") tape!

It also holds much better and is a lot stronger than "painters" tape.

Sticks well, unsticks without leaving residue, resticks a few times usually, is fairly waterproof and tough. It's also got a rough texture that makes for a good grip. It's available in several colors, plus black & white.

I recommend getting the wider stuff.... It's easy to split it right down the center if narrower is needed.

"Gaffer" refers to the crew that sets things up for Hollywood shoots... They use the stuff by the ton.

As to touching up scratches on black camera bodies, I use this stuffexternal link. It's also available in matte finishexternal link, but I usually just use the gloss, let it dry partially, then tap it with my fingertip to reduce the gloss and add some texture. You can control the glossiness and texture a bit that way, to better match the original finish. This paint has more pigment in it than most, so covers in a single coat really well. It isn't as durable as the original baked-on finish, but stays on pretty well and is fairly easy to touch up again if needed. I dunno about touchup for Canon "ecru" on the big, white lenses... might be able to find something close in the touch-up paints at an auto parts store.

Post #12, Feb 28, 2012 13:19:57

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

Raylon
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,076 posts
Plainfield, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think most criminals know or care. They are opportunists. If a big camera is hanging off somebody that they can grab, they could care less if it's a Rebel or a 1D. So covering up the logo's isn't going to do much.

Post #13, Feb 28, 2012 15:58:12

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMugexternal link

monkeymagic
Joined Nov 2009
90 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, the thief will definitely consult his canon catalogue before jacking your camera to make sure he's picking up a recent model and not some beat up old rebel.

Post #14, Feb 28, 2012 16:17:56 as a reply to Raylon's post 19 minutes earlier.

mannyboi
Joined Dec 2009
103 posts
VIC, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

If this guy is stupid enough to steal your camera, he is stupid enough to steal any DSLR. No matter if it is a rebel or a 1D, a camera is a fine piece of easily resellabe electronics. Afterwards the thief might find out that its not a super-pricey camera, he still will make some money off it.

Post #15, Feb 28, 2012 16:35:53

4̶0̶0̶D̶ | 4̶0̶D̶ | 1̶D̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶I̶I̶I̶ | 5D Mark II | A-1 w/ FD 50 1.8 SC
EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 70-200 f/4L - Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC DI - EF 50mm f/1.4 - Samyang 14mm 2.8
2x Sigma 530 Super with PWs - Manfrotto 055XPROB w/496RC2 www.external linkMNYFOTOexternal link.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does tape damage the white "Canon" logos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES