DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

I "like" 3:21 picture, if this Kim dude will try to do the same here he would have to use his travel insurance for his broken nose recovery for sure.

I know about this guy who uses his twelve Leicas for real candids.
Well known in real world.
http://www.citysnaps.n​et .../01/05/minnie-and-mickey/external link
http://vladimirseye.co​m/gallery/external link

Post #136, Feb 29, 2012 15:56:10

Siteexternal link. Flickrexternal link. DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mafoo
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,503 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

kf095 wrote in post #13992296external link
I "like" 3:21 picture, if this Kim dude will try to do the same here he would have to use his travel insurance for his broken nose recovery for sure.

I know about this guy who uses his twelve Leicas for real candids.
Well known in real world.
http://www.citysnaps.n​et .../01/05/minnie-and-mickey/external link
http://vladimirseye.co​m/gallery/external link

I didn't know Canada was such a rough place. You should come down to the states where it's safer :).

That guy has been all over the US (and world), and done the same technique. He was in Toronto giving a workshop last October.

http://erickimphotogra​phy.com/external link

Post #137, Feb 29, 2012 16:05:53

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

tete
Joined Mar 2011
275 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a very good conversation with very good examples. if someone wants to know he pro's and cons and different perspectives, this is certainly a good place to come.

I think alot comes down to where you are at as well. In LA you might not have any issues with a DSLR in about a crowd. But if say you are in Superior Arizona, a smaller more discreet camera will benefit you as they barely have running water there.

Post #138, Feb 29, 2012 16:43:38

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point.external link

Old ­ Baldy
Joined Sep 2010
708 posts
South Lyon, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

kf095 wrote in post #13991847external link
What is full-size DSLR? 1DII or smaller 1DIII or 5D or Rebel?
Did you read my comment first and post your conclusions after?
I don't think so, because I mentioned Rebel with small prime only.
If you think nobody notice you while you dink around with flippo at your hip and me walking by and taking pictures without looking even at people I'm taking pictures of, not to mention camera, or if you think people will notice Rebel with little lens on the tabletop but will not notice smaller camera it means you know too little. Sorry.

Unlike you (apparently), I own both types of cameras. I can actually speak from some little experience on the comparison, and not GUESSING what the relative strengths of the two types are, for candids/street photography.

When you start to speak nicely, I'll continue the discussion with you. Until then.....I can't really be bothered, so carry on talking about the relative advantages of these cameras with (seemingly) no owner experience....

Post #139, Feb 29, 2012 17:52:43

OB
NEX-5N vs NEX-7external link
NEX-5N compared....external link
Gear list
Flickr Galleryexternal link

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

mafoo wrote in post #13992377external link
I didn't know Canada was such a rough place. You should come down to the states where it's safer :).

That guy has been all over the US (and world), and done the same technique. He was in Toronto giving a workshop last October.

http://erickimphotogra​phy.com/external link

Same "technique" as on YouTube clip? Sure it will work for him, people think he just strange tourist. But if I, as big caucasian fella, will try the same in Toronto, I'll end up like this guy from same area:
http://www.dailymail.c​o.uk ...refuse-press-charges.htmlexternal link

Post #140, Feb 29, 2012 18:00:38

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

Old Baldy wrote in post #13993103external link
Unlike you (apparently), I own both types of cameras. I can actually speak from some little experience on the comparison, and not GUESSING what the relative strengths of the two types are, for candids/street photography.

When you start to speak nicely, I'll continue the discussion with you. Until then.....I can't really be bothered, so carry on talking about the relative advantages of these cameras with (seemingly) no owner experience....

Again you made false conclusions. I have two small non DSLR cameras in addition to two different size DSLRs. It is you, who is guessing all over here. One of my little cameras supports RAW and full M mode. Sorry...

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-agagDLvXep4/TXrpYpVM_yI/AAAAAAAASOM/5A68TnuYV1g/s800/IMG_0421.JPG

Post #141, Feb 29, 2012 18:10:40

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
4,842 posts
Southern Taiwan
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyway, to move this back towards it's original topic, I've recently become a member at MU-43, a micro 4/3s site similar to (but much smaller than) POTN. There are people over there who claim to have thrown over their whole DSLR systems for m4/3. In my "introduction" I said I was on the wall about it, and was likely to sell my M4/3 gear, and a fellow pm'ed me with a story about how 4/3 "reinvigorated" his whole interest in photography and made him excited about it again after having gotten tired of lugging his stuff around. Most folks over there moved straight up from p&s, though, I think, and the general level of photography is much lower than POTN, although there is an energy to a lot of it, and freshness, that is nice.

Post #142, Feb 29, 2012 18:18:33

Call me Al Gear Flickrexternal link
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

kf095 wrote in post #13993193external link
Again you made false conclusions. I have two small non DSLR cameras in addition to two different size DSLRs. It is you, who is guessing all over here. One of my little cameras supports RAW and full M mode. Sorry...
QUOTED IMAGE

The image you posted does not help your case. At all.

In fact, the post pretty much removes any credibility you had in this discussion.

Post #143, Feb 29, 2012 20:11:09

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
4,842 posts
Southern Taiwan
[MORE/SHARE]

krb wrote in post #13993899external link
The image you posted does not help your case. At all.

In fact, the post pretty much removes any credibility you had in this discussion.

I disagree. I think his credibility was removed when he showed a missed-focus shot and a shot of people's backs to illustrate his superior candid skills:)

Post #144, Feb 29, 2012 21:48:55

Call me Al Gear Flickrexternal link
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

At least I was not talking about candids and showing picture of my kid as you did with your daughter.
And I was not showing anything superior, just true candids, they are not staged portraits as you posted.
All I was trying to say here, if you think you somehow less noticible with small camera while you looking at it to take candids it is nothing but illusion. Doesn't matter which camera format is in use.
No cameras visible on this picture but it is visible who is taking pictures.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4EQRgT1Krno/TiER1EdcQmI/AAAAAAAAVsI/EGVI1fJSvX8/s800/_MG_9183.jpg
Sorry if it is hard to get it. I have nothing against 4/3 format.

Post #145, Feb 29, 2012 22:08:52

krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

kf095 wrote in post #13994705external link
At least I was not talking about candids and showing picture of my kid as you did with your daughter.

You seem to be confusing "candid photos" with "candid photos of strangers."

And I was not showing anything superior, just true candids, they are not staged portraits as you posted.

Since this thread is a general discussion of 4/3 cameras, displaying a high ISO shot under street lighting conditions does an excellent job of demonstrating the camera's capability. The image contributed far more to this thread than any of your posts so far.

All I was trying to say here, if you think you somehow less noticible with small camera while you looking at it to take candids it is nothing but illusion. Doesn't matter which camera format is in use.

The experience of many others shows that you are incorrect. I've never been heckled as paparazzi while using a camera phone, a point and shoot, a micro 4/3 or even a big 645 film camera. But even in a city like Washington DC where DSLR-toting tourists are everywhere you look, pulling out a DSLR gets attention from people that other style cameras simply do not. It's not a matter of whether or not they notice the camera, because the one correct statement you've made in thread is that a camera is always noticeable. It is the reaction of the people when they see the camera, and the reaction to a DSLR is different than the reaction to other styles of hardware.

Using your picture as an example, sure it's obvious who is taking the picture. But it is equally obvious that nobody else seems to care, and that's the difference between a DSLR and something smaller.

I have nothing against 4/3 format.

Which is good, because you don't really seem to know enough about it to have formed a valid opinion.

Post #146, Feb 29, 2012 23:04:11

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

sponsored links
mafoo
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,503 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

kf095, I don't mean to come across as a jerk or anything, but when I look at your photos (I like them), and then I take a look at Mookalafalas photos, there is obviously a skill gap between the two of you. His photos are a cut above.

Why then, do you chose to argue from a point of view that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

Post #147, Feb 29, 2012 23:13:47

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

benesotor
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,827 posts
Edinburgh UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I recently made the switch. 7D > GH2

Here's why:
- I needed something small/light and affordable for trekking
- Interchangeable lenses, with ability to adapt to older MF lenses
- I wanted a camera with a large(ish) sensor that had a fully-featured video mode
- I wanted a hotshoe mount and articulated screen.
The Panasonic GH2 wasn't the cheapest option, but it ticked pretty much all the boxes.

Anyway to answer the question 'am I happy'... kind of. The GH2 is a very capable camera for my video work. The images are great and I can't really fault it.

Having said that. Mirrorless just isn't an inspiring tool to use. I used to think the gear didn't take anything away from the pleasure of photography... but I just don't love shooting with the GH2.
I don't know if its the plasticky body, the EVF or the digital looking images.

So with that in mind I can't wait to go back to shooting on a DSLR. I've realised I'm not very interested in bells and whistles... so maybe a 5Dc is the camera for me

Post #148, Mar 01, 2012 10:48:30

EOS 5D | Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T* | Nikon 24mm AI f/2.8
Panasonic GH2

Flickrexternal link

dino8031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
807 posts
Boulder, Colorado
[MORE/SHARE]

As the OP I thought I'd chime in and say that I've found the benefits of the 4/3 format compelling enough to pre-order an EM5.

I love my Canon gear and will probably hold on to it, but it will be fun to try something new.

I'm very much looking forward to the new cameras arrival in April.

My bank account may or may not be feeling a little apprehensive.....

Thanks to all who contributed, for the most part, to what is a very interesting and informative discussion. I hope it continues on.

By the way, I'm not terribly concerned about who's a better photographer or more experienced, smarter or whatever, but I am very interested in the original topic. But that's just me. :wink:

Post #149, Mar 01, 2012 11:05:30 as a reply to mafoo's post 11 hours earlier.

mafoo
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,503 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

benesotor wrote in post #13997490external link
I recently made the switch. 7D > GH2

Here's why:
- I needed something small/light and affordable for trekking

Yea, I do a lot of trekking... the problem is when I am counting grams, a M 4/3 is still way to heavy. Something like the S100 does the trick there.

I have the LX-3, and I just can't take myself to pay the delta for the increase in image quality and lightness of the S100. The LX-3 takes nice pictures.

However if I was going to buy something new to take photos while I am hiking the white mountains, it would be something a lot smaller then the GH2.

Post #150, Mar 01, 2012 11:06:41

-Jeremy

LIST NEARBY THREADS
46,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES