Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4951
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-

Default Re: Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

Yah thats cool, i know what you mean, cant remember my 100l doing it...
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4952
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincozinco View Post
The weirdest thing is going on. I put the d700 on mode "a" with my nikkor 105 VR ( it also hsppened on my 85 pce) the aperture dont go below 3.2 and sometimes up to 4. I van turn the wheel all i want but never reaches 2.8, why is that. I tried eith different iso, jpg tiff nef etc etc. Has this happened to someone else?
Nikon reports the actual aperture, Canon reports what you told it to use. This is a physics thing, properties of light stuff, I don't really understand the details, but the closer you get the less light you get.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4953
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Nikon reports the actual aperture, Canon reports what you told it to use. This is a physics thing, properties of light stuff, I don't really understand the details, but the closer you get the less light you get.
well if you dont, how will i, looking at your " call sign"
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4954
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I wish the Canon bodies reported that as well... I dont really understand why they dont
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4955
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Another delay on the D4. Hope whatever it is it's specific to the D4.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4956
monk3y
Totally Saturated

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiS View Post
I wish the Canon bodies reported that as well... I dont really understand why they dont
here's good explanation about it I think.. from Thom Hogan

Quote:
I have news for you: all of the fixed focal length Micro-Nikkors aren't actually fixed focal length. In order to keep from being enormously long when focused at 1:1 magnification, Nikon (as well as many other macro makers) plays with the optical formula in order to keep from having an ever telescoping lens barrel. In macro work, you wouldn't want that, anyway,as a lens barrel that telescoped significantly to get to 1:1 would reduce working distance and potentially start hitting things in your scene at close working distances. Thus, at 1:1, this lens becomes about f/4.8 and does not extend even a millimeter. The aperture loss is actually a bit less dramatic at lower magnifications and the non-extension is very much welcome for macro use.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4957
jdizzle
Darth Noink

I'm not sure if this has been posted but, here's a ISO 12800 from the D4.

http://gizmodo.com/5889344/first-nik...t-high-quality

"When your're blessed, the haters come out. When you wear God's blessings well, don't be surprised if it draws jealousy out on people."
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4958
tim
Light Bringer

12,800 is a bit better than the D700 is at 6400. It's not a huge jump though IMHO.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4959
jdizzle
Darth Noink

It's hard to tell since I'm on a work monitor. Here's another source I found.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...nikon-d4A7.HTM

"When your're blessed, the haters come out. When you wear God's blessings well, don't be surprised if it draws jealousy out on people."
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #4960
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Seeing as how a lot of my recent shooting is with an Olympus E-P1 (Micro 4/3, 2x crop sensor), that's my frame of reference. I also shoot a 5D Classic, but I've been staring at a lot more E-P1 shots lately. I know these are JPGs but still the D4 "only" looks about 3 stops better than the E-P1. ISO 12800 on the D4 looks like ISO 1600 on the E-P1 with better color fidelity but worse noise. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not as the physical size alone dictates a 2 stop difference, plus the E-P1 is old sensor tech. Should I be expecting more? Are we finally hitting diminishing returns in terms of cleaning up high ISO noise?
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #4961
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

I've had both an E-P2 and D3s and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Last edited by dgrPhotos : 1st of March 2012 (Thu) at 06:41.
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #4962
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Just received a generic email from B&H:

Quote:
Dear DANXXXX XXXXXXX:

Thank you for your pre-order of the exciting new Nikon D800Edigital SLR camera.
We know you're excited about this camera and we're as enthusiastic to get it to
you as you are to receive it.

This moment we do not know how many cameras we'll receive from Nikon USA nor do
we know the exact date we'll receive each shipment from them. As this situation
evolves we will update you with whatever information we're able to share.

Your patience and patronage are both greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The wait continues....
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #4963
DavidR

^
I received the same email from B&H about my D800 pre-order.
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #4964
ching

^^ same
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #4965
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrPhotos View Post
I've had both an E-P2 and D3s and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
I didn't say they were close But 3 stops difference isn't really that much considering that the physical sensor size alone counts for 2 stops and E-P2 has an old sensor to boot. If it really is only 3 stops difference then the difference with a newer sensor like in the Panasonic GX1 or Olympus E-M5 is 2 stops or less. That doesn't sound great for a cutting edge FF sensor to me, but maybe I haven't been paying attention to FF and more strides have been made on the little sensors compared to FF, where FF is coasting on the strength of its sensor size instead of maximizing its potential with cutting edge tech.
Closed Thread