Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #241
lbigdogg

Default Re: Pixel King ETTL Trigger Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveyBoy View Post
Yes - FCM / Shutter sync. Hi-speed. Is that menu item not available for you? The connection by pc-sync cable will only Fire the flash. The reason for having Hi-speed on is that the King TX can then use the signal the camera will generate at fast shutter speeds to modify the sync (hypersync style).

Did you get any flash light in the frame?
I was playing around with this feature on my 5D Mark II using a an AlienBees Ringflash, an old Stellar X and a Mettle AC/DC flash and it worked exactly every other frame. I went up to 1/3200 with the ringflash.
Actually, after some more tests, it seems to be working on every pop once I turn the power up on my strobes (I'd been shooting at minimum power).

Last edited by lbigdogg : 28th of February 2012 (Tue) at 18:49.
lbigdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #242
CliveyBoy
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbigdogg View Post
I was playing around with this feature on my 5D Mark II using a an AlienBees Ringflash, an old Stellar X and a Mettle AC/DC flash and it worked exactly every other frame. I went up to 1/3200 with the ringflash.
Actually, after some more tests, it seems to be working on every pop once I turn the power up on my strobes (I'd been shooting at minimum power).
The pre-shutter/hypersync technique usually starts with 1/1 power, and its effectiveness falls off drastically at lower powers.
CliveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #243
snabss

@lbigdogg

can you explain your setup? since i have been trying to get the hypersync to work with my alien bee with no luck so far. i have a B800.

thanks in advance
snabss is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #244
jerbear00

Finally got my Kings. Using them both fairly successfully with the 7D and 5Dii (580 EX II & 430 EX II). Very nice to have manual in camera control of the flashes. This is my first dance with OCF so easy adjustments is such a big plus too me. They can be a little fickle but as long as you turn them on before the camera everything works great.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #245
pekelnik

Quote:
@ pekelnik - Hopefully it is only some variation in the instructions. Here is my listing after many successful and unsuccessful upgrades.

1 Select and download the required archives

2 Extract folder with files in place
It produces a folder with *.bin, Pixel Upgrade Tool.exe and wtf.fir. Keep upgrades in separate folders.

3 Turn off King and remove TX from camera hotshoe or RX from flash
Critical

4 Make Folder Open and Active
Critical

5 Open the Upgrade Tool
If “Firmware Upgrade to:” is shown as “Unknown” then close and do 4 above. Ensure brand, TX or RX, and Firmware Upgrade version are correct.

6 Connect stand-alone King to Computer
King TX AF-Assist LED turns on, but not the seven indicators.
Upgrade Tool shows “connected” and the current version of connected device.
(If the indicator lights all flash momentarily, then the USB connection is not recognized by the King.)

7 Run Upgrade button
Determine that the Upgrade Tool is displaying the correct brand, TX/RX and target version, and click “Upgrade”. Switch off King, and disconnect.
Thanks. I do precisely that, only between 6 and 7, the program crashes. Every time. The controllers themselves seem to work just as they should, the TX LED turns on, indicators don't, Upgrade Tools switches to "Connected" and then bam. I sent a email to pixel support but haven't heard back yet.
pekelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #246
dlintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiethf View Post
Ran some more tests same results. Being fully ettl II compatible i thought these Sigmas would have been ok. Anyone have any other test setup suggestions? Thanks.
Thanks for posting up. I was hoping someone would try these with the Sigma flashes before I took the plunge. I really like my DG Supers but it looks like I'm gonna have to go the Canon route.

1Ds II 17-40L - 24-70L - Sigmalux - Sigma 85 f/1.4 - 70-200L 2.8 II - Sigma 1.4x - G9 - Cybersyncs and some other stuff

dlintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #247
CliveyBoy
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
Thanks. I do precisely that, only between 6 and 7, the program crashes. Every time. The controllers themselves seem to work just as they should, the TX LED turns on, indicators don't, Upgrade Tools switches to "Connected" and then bam. I sent a email to pixel support but haven't heard back yet.
The only thing I can think of is - batteries. Use new Alkaline batteries in the King. USB communication can be a heavy power drain, and "flashing" memory even more so.

Are you using the Pixel-supplied cable or a Canon one? Not all cables are wired the same, nor all ports.

Can you try another computer O/S?
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #248
pekelnik

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is - batteries. Use new Alkaline batteries in the King. USB communication can be a heavy power drain, and "flashing" memory even more so.

Are you using the Pixel-supplied cable or a Canon one? Not all cables are wired the same, nor all ports.

Can you try another computer O/S?
Fresh batteries, old batteries, canon cable, pixel cable, samsung cable... The problem is not with the connection, it's with the sofware. I'll try to use a different computer when I visit someone with windows, all other computers have only linux on them.
pekelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #249
Kiethf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlintz View Post
Thanks for posting up. I was hoping someone would try these with the Sigma flashes before I took the plunge. I really like my DG Supers but it looks like I'm gonna have to go the Canon route.
No problem. I really like the Sigmas too… it’s a royal pain to have to swap them out…

CliveyBoy, in your review you list the YN565EX in the Full Control box… does that include all manual settings: power levels, ratios, zoom etc? If it does then I guess it’s an economic decision vs the 430EXII. Thanks!
Kiethf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #250
ultimachi

Quote:
Update...

I just purchased one TX and two RXs (arrived Saturday). I have two Sigma EF DG 530 Super flashes. I upgraded the firmware on all 3 Kings. I spent a few hours testing yesterday and found these comparisons to CliveyBoy’s review;

3.3 ETTL with FEC - worked and power levels increased and decreased based on FEC changes from the camera menu.

3.4 Remote Manual - does not work . The flashes will fire but at a static power level which, I assume, it picked up from the ETTL setting ?? But no Manual (A:B group) control whatsoever.

Overall I am disappointed as I was really hoping for full manual control for each of the flash units from the camera menu. The native 7D wireless control works great with the Sigmas but the line-of-sight limitation necessitated me looking at the Kings.

Judging by the lack of clear communications from the vendor it’s impossible to know if they will ever code to fully support these Sigmas so I guess I have to decide whether the Kings go back or to change my flash units.
Check the group settings on the TX and RX's themselves. I was having the same issue as you, but when I checked it was all set to A. Make sure to have the RX's set correctly. One on group A, one on group B, and group C if you have a 3rd flash. Make sure the TX is set first though as for some reason if it's on a different channel, it will reset all the RX's.

Quote:
No problem. I really like the Sigmas too… it’s a royal pain to have to swap them out…

CliveyBoy, in your review you list the YN565EX in the Full Control box… does that include all manual settings: power levels, ratios, zoom etc? If it does then I guess it’s an economic decision vs the 430EXII. Thanks!
I have 2 YN565EX's and one 580EXII. I can tell you first hand the flashes are fully compatible.
ultimachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #251
lbigdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snabss View Post
@lbigdogg

can you explain your setup? since i have been trying to get the hypersync to work with my alien bee with no luck so far. i have a B800.

thanks in advance
OK, I'm confused, which is not surprising since I don't know what I'm doing.
When I have the following functions in Flash Function Settings: Flash Mode: Manual Shutter Sync: Hi-Speed. and pretty much any high shutter speed I get nothing, no light whatsoever.
But, if I set the following in Flash Function Settings:
Flash Mode: E-TTl II Shutter Sync: Hi-Speed and with shutter speeds at pretty much everything up to 1/8000 and with the flash set on varying power levels, i get SOME light.
The power output of the strobe is reduced with higher shutter speeds and by about 3 to 4 stops by the time I get to 1/8000.

Hope this is clear.
lbigdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2012 (Thu)   #252
snabss

@lbigdogg

thats very interesting, since i dont get anything above 200th if i set the flash menu to ettl, and then i get some light at upto 320th if i set the flash menu to manual and then nothing at shutter faster than that.

hmm we are seeing different behaviors with very similar setups. the only diff is the type of AB.
snabss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of March 2012 (Tue)   #253
barryonn

I was having a play with my new set of kings and was trying to manually control my 2 nissin di866 mk2 it seems i can only adjust between 1/64 and 1/1 is this correct or is there a way to go all the way down to 1/128 like on the flashes themselves?
barryonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of March 2012 (Tue)   #254
CliveyBoy
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryonn View Post
trying to manually control my 2 nissin di866 mk2 it seems i can only adjust between 1/64 and 1/1 is this correct or is there a way to go all the way down to 1/128 like on the flashes themselves?
This happens if a 430EXII is used - its limit is 1/64th. The Nissins must appear to the Kings that way, too. It's a problem with reverse-engineered manufactures - they are rarely completely identical in their programming. The manufacturer would probably be sued if they were.

It may simply be due to how Pixel have recorded each model's capabilities. A firmware update could fix that. Was the (Mark I) limited to 1/64th?

Last edited by CliveyBoy : 13th of March 2012 (Tue) at 17:17.
Old 13th of March 2012 (Tue)   #255
dmward
Cream of the Crop

I am still having trouble getting Pixel in HK to provide me with a replacement for my transmitter that will not update firmware.

Has anyone had any luck getting a bulky transmitter to accept the firmware update?

Thanks

Opps, should have read back a bit before posting.
I see there is another firmware update.

Hopefully this one will take.

Last edited by dmward : 13th of March 2012 (Tue) at 17:10.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote