Thread started 28 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 13:27   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I recently began using a defragging program called Defraggler, and when I started to defrag my boot drive which is an SSD it stated the warning that it may shorten its life. I received no such warning when I defragged my conventional spin drive.

Is there something about SSD's that makes them susceptible to damage or wear through the defragmentation process?

Post #1, Feb 28, 2012 13:27:58

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rpaul
Joined Jul 2011
624 posts
BC NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Please, please don't defrag your SSD. They are not like spinny hard drives, where the physical position of the data matters. Defragging SSDs just creates unnecessary writes that reduces the lifespan of the drive.

Post #2, Feb 28, 2012 13:29:16

Rob | rmpaul.comexternal link
Gear 'n Stuff
C&C always welcome

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't defrag your SSD, it's unnecesary. SSDs wear out with writes so a defrag shortens its life.

Post #3, Feb 28, 2012 13:47:00

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

rpaul wrote in post #13984323external link
Please, please don't defrag your SSD. They are not like spinny hard drives, where the physical position of the data matters. Defragging SSDs just creates unnecessary writes that reduces the lifespan of the drive.

I knew there was the physcial difference, but I was unclear on the concept of unnecessary writes. I take it the "write medium" is significantly from the magnetic media of conventional drives? Thanks for the advice Rob - you too Tim ;)

Post #4, Feb 28, 2012 13:49:09

GEAR LIST

rpaul
Joined Jul 2011
624 posts
BC NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Basically, SSD's are made up of lots of flash memory cells, which wear out after many thousands of writes. (This happens to all flash memory.) While the drives will still last for years under normal usage, defragging adds lots of unnecessary writes as it shuffles the data around the drive without creating any benefit, since SSD's don't have to physically "seek" the same way spinny HDD's do.

Post #5, Feb 28, 2012 14:06:33

Rob | rmpaul.comexternal link
Gear 'n Stuff
C&C always welcome

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

There are two good reasons why you shouldn't defrag your SSD.

1. It will reduce the lifespan of the drive. As Rob said, the memory cells can only be written to a limited number of times.

2. It's pointless. Your SSD deliberately fragments the data that it writes to the drive. You don't want the same sets of memory cells being used all the time (because they'll wear out quickly). So the drive controller spreads the data over all of the cells - it's called wear levelling.

Post #6, Mar 01, 2012 05:44:02

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #13995935external link
There are two good reasons why you shouldn't defrag your SSD.

1. It will reduce the lifespan of the drive. As Rob said, the memory cells can only be written to a limited number of times.

2. It's pointless. Your SSD deliberately fragments the data that it writes to the drive. You don't want the same sets of memory cells being used all the time (because they'll wear out quickly). So the drive controller spreads the data over all of the cells - it's called wear levelling.

Thanks for that explanation Frank - gives me better insight into the tech. I had a general awareness but that fleshes it out.

I wonder how similar/different those memory cells are to the structure of our CF and SD cards? We constantly write to, erase and format those little things, and the better ones are supposed to last for years.

Post #7, Mar 01, 2012 08:17:01

GEAR LIST

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,296 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

Interesting. I never knew this but it makes total sense.

Post #8, Mar 01, 2012 08:21:15

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

CameraMan wrote in post #13996432external link
Interesting. I never knew this but it makes total sense.

I wonder if the SSD's controller and operating system (?) mark of bad sectors or their equivalent (as on a conventional drive) when these cells go bad or become unreliable. I'm sure it must communicate in some fashion: "Don't write data right here......"

Post #9, Mar 01, 2012 08:51:27

GEAR LIST

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

sapearl wrote in post #13996417external link
I wonder how similar/different those memory cells are to the structure of our CF and SD cards? We constantly write to, erase and format those little things, and the better ones are supposed to last for years.

They are very similar. CF cards have the same problem with limited read/erase cycles, and they use the same wear levelling technique to even out the wear. You'll sometimes read posts from people giving advice on how one should try to minimise that wear, but they're normally a load of old tosh. Here's why...

Most of the memory used for CF cards can handle something like 10,000 write/erase cycles. So a 16GB card can handle about 160TB before it starts to wear out. That's 160,000,000 megabytes. If each of your raw images is 25MB then you can write 64 million images to your card. If you shoot 1000 images per day, every day, then your card will wear out after about 175 years!

Post #10, Mar 01, 2012 09:09:55

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

sapearl wrote in post #13996596external link
I wonder if the SSD's controller and operating system (?) mark of bad sectors or their equivalent (as on a conventional drive) when these cells go bad or become unreliable. I'm sure it must communicate in some fashion: "Don't write data right here......"

Yes, it does.

Post #11, Mar 01, 2012 09:11:18

sponsored links
Pit
Joined Aug 2006
289 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Not only that, it also has spare or over provisioned memory sectors that are there to replace the failed blocks.

hollis_f wrote in post #13996716external link
Yes, it does.

Post #12, Mar 01, 2012 11:56:30

Canon EOS 6D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 Mk I, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MK II, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, 430EX, Transceivers, Bags, Tripods, Cables, Trigger Trap.

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Pit wrote in post #13998016external link
Not only that, it also has spare or over provisioned memory sectors that are there to replace the failed blocks.

Well now THAT'S interesting.

Do we know if this "spare" amount is included the spec of the drive? What I mean is, if I purchase a drive that claims to be 256GB is there really xx% more drive space above and beyond that to allow for future failed cels?

Post #13, Mar 01, 2012 13:25:54

GEAR LIST

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

My 300GB Intel SSD is 300,066,406,400 bytes according to Windows.

Post #14, Mar 01, 2012 13:31:32

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #13998711external link
My 300GB Intel SSD is 300,066,406,400 bytes according to Windows.

So basically then Frank, it is what it is just as is the case with conventional disks ;).

We buy disks at XXXGB, and realistically over the life of the disk a certain percentage of sectors will go bad on average. On long-lived disks/storage devices that survive healthy for years, I don't imagine this is a large number because if it is then they simply crash or fail. So I guess the moral of the story is always to buy more than what you think you need.

Post #15, Mar 01, 2012 13:37:38

GEAR LIST

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shortenning SSD Life by Defragging?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES