Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #91
Spacemunkie

Default Re: CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmore View Post
I think Canon's position is at best...politically correct.
No, it's 21st century.
Old 25th of February 2012 (Sat)   #92
Lesmore

Talking Re: CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
As I see it, it's best to learn the tool of the trade before using them. Take my actual day job, for instance. I'm a dentist. The last thing you want if you were a patient is to sit in a chair and see your dentist bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill. While no one is born with the knowledge of how to operate said drill, you would expect nothing less than your dentist knowing how to operate it before he/she uses it on you.

So enlighten me then, what would you garner from a printed owner's manual in hand? If not for how to get to and operate the various controls and navigate the built-in menu... you're looking for what... Sunny 16 rules and suggestions?
I would hope as a dentist ( hard to tell on the internet) that you would have reference materials close at hand, perhaps in an adjoining office.

Many medical doctors carry their reference material either electronically or in print, in an adjoining office, for quick and easy reference.

There are many occasions when a patient presents with a concern that is not typical.

Most professionals would not claim to know and retain all knowledge...without the occasional refresher...but they also would have the wisdom not to...as you say... " bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill" in front of the patient.

The same goes for avid photographers who wish to go beyond setting the camera on automatic and hope for the best.
Lesmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2012 (Sat)   #93
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmore View Post
I would hope as a dentist ( hard to tell on the internet) that you would have reference materials close at hand, perhaps in an adjoining office.

Many medical doctors carry their reference material either electronically or in print, in an adjoining office, for quick and easy reference.

There are many occasions when a patient presents with a concern that is not typical.

Most professionals would not claim to know and retain all knowledge...without the occasional refresher...but they also would have the wisdom not to...as you say... " bust out a printed owner's manual on how to operate the drill" in front of the patient.

The same goes for avid photographers who wish to go beyond setting the camera on automatic and hope for the best.
Oh, I don't claim to know it all. But I know how to use my tools.

You're confusing something. Knowing how to use the tool is not the same as knowing how to identify the difference between a malignant soft-tissue lesion vs. a benign. And it's actually quite simple, without an actual biopsy, you will never be able to say with 100% certainty whether an irregular lesion is malignant or benign. MD's practice w/ differential diagnosis. There are infinitely more variables to rule out and watch for. But their tool, so to speak, is their mind. How they've trained their minds to start ruling out improbable diagnosis to help them limit down the probabilities.

For general dentistry, it's rather straight forward. Kind of like knowing aperture, shutter speed, iso in photography. Is there decay? Yes/no. Do the X-rays show decay? Yes/no. Does it need treatment? Yes/no. If your dentist needs a reference manual for what decay looks like... best of luck to you.

So your analogy, unfortunately, doesn't work.

But you still haven't answered my question regarding what exactly is in the owner's manual for a digital camera (a tool), that you would need to reference to out in the field? Something that you couldn't have learned the feature/function of said tool prior to going out into the field?
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Last edited by jwcdds : 25th of February 2012 (Sat) at 17:30.
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of February 2012 (Sat)   #94
tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview

Default Re: CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alund View Post
You have had your fun. Many of you have exposed your intelligence while belittling mine.
You certainly have exposed your intelligence. This thread was all but dead until you chime in again. You really need to listen to what others are saying and adjust your thinking.
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #95
LeejCanonDig2009

Smile Re: CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)

I put the PDF manual on my iPhone and iPad along with the David Busch book Kindle version. I enjoyed being able to read up on the workings on the camera when I was stuck somewhere; like in line at the post office, waiting on a flight, etc.

It's nice being able to carry several books and other reading material in one's pocket, for the same trouble and weight as only one.
LeejCanonDig2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #96
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alund View Post

If Canon would put the manual on a memory card and make it viewable on the camera......
That's actually not a bad idea. Some kind of condensed manual stored in the camera. The screens are all getting pretty nice and big so it would be doable.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #97
Hivoltage

I carry a 5 gallon bucket around with all my manuals in....works pretty good!
Old 7th of March 2012 (Wed)   #98
Gerry67

This is the 21st centry - printed manuals are a thing of the past, Please stop being such a dinosaur !!
Gerry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2012 (Mon)   #99
donbga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke View Post
You have to admit though it was always nice to get new gear and then sit down with a cup of tea and flip through the manual

Unless it was for the kettle to make the tea in which case you'd have to read the manual first.
That's what e-Readers and tablets are for.

For pedestrian reading manuals it makes perfect sense and cents.

For coffee table books - not so much.
donbga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2012 (Mon)   #100
TweakMDS
Goldmember

I always immediately toss manuals back into the box of said product, and store that box in my storage room - to eventually throw it away (unless it's a lens). If I want to look something up in the manual (rare), I'd rather take the PDF and read it on my computer / tablet / phone.
So I agree 100% with Canon's decision to stop including the manual.
"My featured shots"
TweakMDS is offline   Reply With Quote