LR move pictures or create collections

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 08 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 09:47   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

birderman
Joined Mar 2011
827 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Using LR 3 - I have a set photos divided into subfolders based on photo type ie.
parent folder = glamour
subfolders (typical) = topless, boudoir, nude, lingerie etc....

I also have a folder Pending where I place my pictures before categorizing them or adding them to the LR cat.

When I import the Pending (new) pictures into the catalogue can I get LR to automatically move the pictures to the corresponding subfolder to suit the category. What would be the best way to assign the category to the pictures, presently I just move them manually to the appropriate folder/subfolder. Two assign keywords to match the category I assume they need importing into LR Cat first ?

Would it be easier and more efficient just to leave them in the original folders then just Sync the folders in the catalogue and then add them to the appropriate collection manually.....

TIA for any help or suggestions

Post #1, Mar 08, 2012 09:47:20

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickrexternal link
My Websiteexternal link or my Facebook - KishWphotosexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

You could create smart collections based on the keywords used. Then the images would be added to the proper collection when you keyword them…

No need to move the actual image files into different folders. (unless you need to separate the image locations for easier use outside LR)

Post #2, Mar 08, 2012 10:28:55

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I like having my folder/file system set up in a descriptive way so that I can easily find things using whatever program/browser, so when I import a shoot into Lightroom I just use Lightroom to name the files and copy them into a named folder, which initially all goes into a current/temporary "parent" folder on my internal "data" drive.

Then, after doing short-term work on the photos, it's easy in Lightroom to just move the folder/files onto another drive/location for long-term keeping.

I use LR collections and keywords as well. It can be redundant, but it gives more tools for finding what you want.

Post #3, Mar 08, 2012 14:45:04

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
907 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR move pictures or create collections
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES