Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 08:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Takendown2
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2011
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey Guys!
I've recently been put in charge of a media team for a school conference. I will be in charge of 8-10 photographers and videographers all with their own cameras and video recorders. The biggest problem I think i will be faced with is finding a quick and efficient way of transferring data from many cards into computers as we will need to have minimal delay between the photos being taken and uploaded onto our website.

Hence I am trying to look for card readers than can fit many SD cards in one go so i can quickly transfer all the files into my computer. So something like this:

http://www.petapixel.c​om ...ter-style-sd-card-reader/external link

Preferably with more slots. The problem with the card reader I found is that i cant seem to find it anywhere for sale? So if anyone knows of alternate brands or know where to buy one of those it would be great. Thanks!

Post #1, Mar 15, 2012 08:13:24

Canon 600D. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm IS (kit) EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Super Takumar m42 135mm f/3.5 (with EF adapter)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
EL_PIC
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
2,028 posts
Austin Texas - Lucca Italy
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I wish you were in charge of a team that would find universal battery chargers
for all those different camera batteries.
The world needs wireless slotless.

Post #2, Mar 15, 2012 08:17:39

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.comexternal link
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreationsexternal link

Takendown2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2011
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They will be in charge of their own batteries... i hope ;) but i really do hope i can find a good multiple SD card reader to make it easy to transfer the files

Post #3, Mar 15, 2012 08:32:21

Canon 600D. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm IS (kit) EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Super Takumar m42 135mm f/3.5 (with EF adapter)

Preeb
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 posts
Logan County, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not sure why it would be that much faster. I could load photos from 8-10 cards in under 10 minutes (actual time depends on the number of images) on this laptop, just doing them one at a time. Even with a multiple reader you still have to plug in each card, let the system recognize them and open a dialog, then perform the download. I don't see it as saving more than a minute or so at most.

I just did 2 cards as a test in 1:45.

Out of curiosity, why the need for such haste?

Post #4, Mar 15, 2012 09:38:35 as a reply to Takendown2's post 1 hour earlier.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

minhi
Joined Sep 2005
601 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

hi, so i know having a single reader with multiple slots is preferable, but i think you'll have to end up putting together your own solution. i imagine multiple single-slot SD card readers would be fine. just so you know, the link you posted, there is a link at the bottom to geekstuff4u.com where you can buy that 4 slot reader. also keep in mind that you'll be using a single USB port with 4 cards so that could slow things down if you try to import from all 4 cards at the same time.

the bigger thing you need to keep in mind is to make sure the automatic numbering or labeling of the images when you import them. what i mean is it's very possible that you could get over-lapping names on the images if you're not careful, so make sure you plan out your workflow so you can keep track of where your pictures are coming from and that the fukenames do not overlap

Post #5, Mar 15, 2012 09:40:19

in search of my own choreo-animatorexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
joeblack2022
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,945 posts
The Great White North
[MORE/SHARE]

Takendown2 wrote in post #14090130external link
I've recently been put in charge of a media team for a school conference. I will be in charge of 8-10 photographers and videographers all with their own cameras and video recorders.

Just curious, what kind of conference is this that you would need that much coverage?

Post #6, Mar 15, 2012 09:45:23

Joel

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Multiple SD Card Readers?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES