Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of March 2012 (Thu)   #16
chopperdave

Default Re: Camera Straps - Dual Camera

I use the BlackRapid, like it a lot. And I use mine with the Manfrtotto quick mount thingy, just clip it onto the D ring underneath it. Don't know if this is recommended, but it works for me.
chopperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of March 2012 (Thu)   #17
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop

Do they make shoulder straps for people that use flash brackets?
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2012 (Wed)   #18
inernets

There is one on amazon made by Rainbow that is $25 shipped with amazon prime. I bought it as a backup to my blackrapid, i will do a full review someday soon.

They are pretty equal, but there is one thing that is lacking compared to the expensive black rapid strap. The screw in part that connects the strap to the camera is VERY VERY CHEAP and does not secure properly on one of the sides for me. This means that if you also have this problem at any given time, your camera could slip off and fall to the ground. I have been photographing with the blackrapid for almost a year and early on i had a moment where i forgot to fasten the connection and the camera slipped off but i luckily caught it with my hand and leg.

Anyways the point is that they are great cheap back-ups and knock-offs, but the reason they are so cheap is because they sometimes have to use cheaper parts and materials, so if you are using a couple of $200-500 cameras maybe investing $150 into a strap would be too much, but if you have $1000-6000 per camera i think the blackrapid is the way to go.

If you want extra security you could always gaffer or duct tape your fastener to your camera
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #19
Jimil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdave View Post
I use the BlackRapid, like it a lot. And I use mine with the Manfrtotto quick mount thingy, just clip it onto the D ring underneath it. Don't know if this is recommended, but it works for me.
I don't know if I would trust my whole rig possibly costing thousands to that little D-Ring on the Manfrotto quick mount. If you are using the RC2 quick release plates, then Black Rapid makes a replacement piece for about $18.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

I just recently picked up the standard DR-1 Double Strap from Black Rapid and will put it through its paces at Miller Motorsports in Utah. I'll be carrying a 7D/70-300MM L and a 1DMKIII/24-70mm L/580EXII.

As an aside, but somewhat related, those of you guys who are willing to risk your gear by buying cheap knock offs or cheap versions of the better brands better think twice.

A buddy of mine bought this thinking he could save a few bucks. The locking carabiner is cheaply made and came apart. Luckily my buddy has a habit of holding the camera most of the time and as such his $3500 rig did NOT go crashing to the ground.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/quick-s...-cameras-80721

Why anyone would cheap out when they have some much $$ invested at stake is beyond me.
Jimil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #20
inernets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimil View Post
I don't know if I would trust my whole rig possibly costing thousands to that little D-Ring on the Manfrotto quick mount. If you are using the RC2 quick release plates, then Black Rapid makes a replacement piece for about $18.

I just recently picked up the standard DR-1 Double Strap from Black Rapid and will put it through its paces at Miller Motorsports in Utah. I'll be carrying a 7D/70-300MM L and a 1DMKIII/24-70mm L/580EXII.

As an aside, but somewhat related, those of you guys who are willing to risk your gear by buying cheap knock offs or cheap versions of the better brands better think twice.

A buddy of mine bought this thinking he could save a few bucks. The locking carabiner is cheaply made and came apart. Luckily my buddy has a habit of holding the camera most of the time and as such his $3500 rig did NOT go crashing to the ground.

Why anyone would cheap out when they have some much $$ invested at stake is beyond me.
Thats the exact one i have as a backup to my BR double strap (just posted above about it) and yep, the locking carabiner is VERY BAD, one works and the other does not. If you have this problem you can tape it closed for temp relief (like i said i have it for backup, i use my BR for my job once or twice a week and i have forget it at home a few times, especially the BR connectors).

And BTW i have used my BR double strap for a year now almost every week for a job and i have had no problems carrying a gripped 5D + 24-105mm or 16-35mm and a 1D II + 100-400mm, i love that strap and couldn't do my job without it. I have to walk long distances with it and many times i leave the cameras dangling with no fear of them falling.
Old 1st of June 2012 (Fri)   #21
Jimil

Quote:
Used the Black Rapid double system quite extensively over the Memorial Day weekend and it worked great! I've had the RS7 for over a year, but with 2 bodies now, I needed the double.

I have tried out the Cotton Carrier and didn't like the way the camera engages the harness, plus the harness itself seems pretty bulky. I'm sure it will suit some people, just not me when walking around a paddock or zoo. If I were mountain biking or snowboarding the Cotton Carrier would be a better choice.

Last edited by Jimil : 1st of June 2012 (Fri) at 18:41.
Jimil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2012 (Sat)   #22
aphphoto

I have the BlackRapid double harness and it has really been a lifesaver at track events. No neck, shoulder or lower back strain and that's after 3 days of carrying 2 gripped bodies with long lenses.
Old 4th of June 2012 (Mon)   #23
328somewhere

Really glad I have the double strap now that I carry around two 1d3's, 70-200 f2.8 and a 300mm f2.8. The strap makes the load quite bareable.
328somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2012 (Mon)   #24
minijag

Considering I would go for the Blackrapid double harness, how does it cope with using a backpack at the same time?

Thank you all for your input.

flickr
minijag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2012 (Tue)   #25
tetralogy

I have used BR strap and although nice, I made a couple of these which I think are even better in that you can customize as needed and they are less bulky than BR. I have used 2 at a time with a back pack and they work well. Of course, you cannot beat the price!!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ight=diy+strap
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #26
TustinMike

Quote:

I agree, I bought one of these BR "clones" on Amazon in order to see how I liked this setup, but now that I've found how great it is for handling two cameras, I went to my local camera shop (Samy's) and purchased the DR-1. I noted with a little dissapointment that even the DR-1 says "made in Taiwan" on the box, but here's hoping the quality is at least a bit better than the version I already own. BTW, the quality of the knockoff version seems pretty good, I am mainly concerned with the strength and integrity of the fittings.

Last edited by TustinMike : 8th of June 2012 (Fri) at 13:10.
TustinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2012 (Tue)   #27
chrisdpham

thanks all - seems like I will finally upgrade to some Black Rapids soon.
Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #28
Apex174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328somewhere View Post
Black rapid is about the cheapest option. Its safe and secure. I have one that I use a lot.
+1 I agree! It's fully adjustable too.
Apex174 is offline   Reply With Quote