Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #1
Supersteve911

Default Shooting random people

So, I am a hobbyist photographer. There are some days I am out and about and see someone or some child that I would just love to do a shoot of. How do you go about asking them? Have you done this? Do I just offer my card? would you pay them with money or pay them with pictures or just assume they wold do it for free? Is it creepy? Please tell me what you have done and if it worked(s). If I am not intending to sell anything and am just doing it for my own portfolio or whatever do I have to have a model release signed? Thanks.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #2
drmaxx

Default Re: Shooting random people

Check out http://book.85mm.ch/ (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #3
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #4
dynamitetony

if your really close, then i would say to ask them is the polite thing to do

bit further away , hmmm then i would just snap away

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.

really interesting site

Last edited by dynamitetony : 6th of April 2012 (Fri) at 06:12.
dynamitetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #5
Miyagi-san
Goldmember

Situational, the answer in one place will get you different results in another. In the USA, you're legal for most public places to snap away....so just crank up the earbuds and then you can't hear people complain lol.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #6
drmaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.
It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #7
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....
As I said, part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense. It has nothing to do with the possession of trinkets.

Quote:
Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?
See, that's the point. What is the true offense if I've got my kids out there and someone is taking pictures of them? A civillzed man realizes there is no offense and thus takes none. The uncivilized man lets his imagination run wild and take control of his actions.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #8
Miyagi-san
Goldmember

I have pics of my kid all over Facebook, if you think a determined enough individual can't get past their 'security' you would be wrong. Innocent until proven creepy....and simply taking photos is not creepy. But again, situational....as avid a fan I am of candid photography, I realize that in this day and age people immediately assume creeper status. I try to stick to very crowded public areas and shoot from afar. I don't really hide but keeping a bit of distance works well for me. Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #9
Miyagi-san
Goldmember

Lol, not candies, candids....haha dumb iPad auto correct. Free candy!!!
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #10
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.
I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #11
Miyagi-san
Goldmember

Quote:
I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.
Never thought of that good point
Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #12
brokensocial

Quote:

Indeed. That said, it's much easier to do if you've got a smaller camera and are in a more public setting where picture taking is expected (e.g., the zoo).
Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #13
seattle1

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I have done some street photography and enjoy doing the candid shots. I have been lucky since most people are fine with it.
seattle1 is offline   Reply With Quote