FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 03:32   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Supersteve911
Joined Sep 2010
597 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

So, I am a hobbyist photographer. There are some days I am out and about and see someone or some child that I would just love to do a shoot of. How do you go about asking them? Have you done this? Do I just offer my card? would you pay them with money or pay them with pictures or just assume they wold do it for free? Is it creepy? Please tell me what you have done and if it worked(s). If I am not intending to sell anything and am just doing it for my own portfolio or whatever do I have to have a model release signed? Thanks.

Post #1, Mar 30, 2012 03:32:12

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Check out http://book.85mm.ch/external link (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.

Post #2, Apr 06, 2012 05:21:14

Donate if you love POTN

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.

Post #3, Apr 06, 2012 05:48:52

dynamitetony
Joined Sep 2007
979 posts
london UK
[MORE/SHARE]

if your really close, then i would say to ask them is the polite thing to do

bit further away , hmmm then i would just snap away

drmaxx wrote in post #14219043external link
Check out http://book.85mm.ch/external link (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.

really interesting site

Post #4, Apr 06, 2012 06:04:24

5Diii : 6D : Sigma 35mm F1.4 : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.2 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 17-40F4 : 24-105 F4 : 70-200 F2.8L mkii : canon 580ex2/430ex

Miyagi-san
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
2,129 posts
Scott AFB, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Situational, the answer in one place will get you different results in another. In the USA, you're legal for most public places to snap away....so just crank up the earbuds and then you can't hear people complain lol.

Post #5, Apr 06, 2012 06:30:36

".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"

sponsored links
drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

RDKirk wrote in post #14219088external link
In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.

It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....

Post #6, Apr 06, 2012 07:33:48

Donate if you love POTN

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

drmaxx wrote in post #14219376external link
It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....

As I said, part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense. It has nothing to do with the possession of trinkets.

Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

See, that's the point. What is the true offense if I've got my kids out there and someone is taking pictures of them? A civillzed man realizes there is no offense and thus takes none. The uncivilized man lets his imagination run wild and take control of his actions.

Post #7, Apr 06, 2012 08:33:12

Miyagi-san
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
2,129 posts
Scott AFB, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I have pics of my kid all over Facebook, if you think a determined enough individual can't get past their 'security' you would be wrong. Innocent until proven creepy....and simply taking photos is not creepy. But again, situational....as avid a fan I am of candid photography, I realize that in this day and age people immediately assume creeper status. I try to stick to very crowded public areas and shoot from afar. I don't really hide but keeping a bit of distance works well for me. Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.

Post #8, Apr 06, 2012 10:22:19

Miyagi-san
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
2,129 posts
Scott AFB, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Lol, not candies, candids....haha dumb iPad auto correct. Free candy!!!

Post #9, Apr 06, 2012 10:23:43

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.

I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.

Post #10, Apr 06, 2012 11:39:26

Miyagi-san
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
2,129 posts
Scott AFB, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

RDKirk wrote in post #14220432external link
I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.

Never thought of that good point

Post #11, Apr 06, 2012 11:42:49

sponsored links
brokensocial
Joined Apr 2012
481 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

RDKirk wrote in post #14219088external link

Indeed. That said, it's much easier to do if you've got a smaller camera and are in a more public setting where picture taking is expected (e.g., the zoo).

Post #12, Apr 07, 2012 00:49:48

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photographyexternal link | chicago wedding photography blogexternal link

seattle1
Joined May 2010
285 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

drmaxx wrote in post #14219043external link

Thanks for the link. I have done some street photography and enjoy doing the candid shots. I have been lucky since most people are fine with it.

Post #13, Apr 07, 2012 01:00:28

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting random people
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES