Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #1
Supersteve911
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 591
Default Shooting random people

So, I am a hobbyist photographer. There are some days I am out and about and see someone or some child that I would just love to do a shoot of. How do you go about asking them? Have you done this? Do I just offer my card? would you pay them with money or pay them with pictures or just assume they wold do it for free? Is it creepy? Please tell me what you have done and if it worked(s). If I am not intending to sell anything and am just doing it for my own portfolio or whatever do I have to have a model release signed? Thanks.
__________________
5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |
Supersteve911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #2
drmaxx
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 401
Default Re: Shooting random people

Check out http://book.85mm.ch/ (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.
__________________
Donate if you love POTN
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #3
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
 
RDKirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,579
Default Re: Shooting random people

In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #4
dynamitetony
Member
 
dynamitetony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: london UK
Posts: 979
Default Re: Shooting random people

if your really close, then i would say to ask them is the polite thing to do

bit further away , hmmm then i would just snap away


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
Check out http://book.85mm.ch/ (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.

really interesting site
__________________
5Diii : 6D : Sigma 35mm F1.4 : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.2 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 17-40F4 : 24-105 F4 : 70-200 F2.8L mkii : canon 580ex2/430ex

Last edited by dynamitetony : 6th of April 2012 (Fri) at 06:12.
dynamitetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #5
Miyagi-san
Goldmember
 
Miyagi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scott AFB, IL
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: Shooting random people

Situational, the answer in one place will get you different results in another. In the USA, you're legal for most public places to snap away....so just crank up the earbuds and then you can't hear people complain lol.
__________________
".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"
Miyagi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #6
drmaxx
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 401
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.
It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....
__________________
Donate if you love POTN
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #7
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
 
RDKirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,579
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
It has not much to do with 'civilised'. More important is, how well you understand the culture and sensitivities of the people you want to take pictures of. Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?

It is about the ability of the photographer to assess the situation and not about the number of cell phones the average population has (or any other means of measuring the degree of 'civilised').....
As I said, part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense. It has nothing to do with the possession of trinkets.

Quote:
Just imagine a guy hanging around the pool all day long and taking candid pictures of your kids. Would you be happy?
See, that's the point. What is the true offense if I've got my kids out there and someone is taking pictures of them? A civillzed man realizes there is no offense and thus takes none. The uncivilized man lets his imagination run wild and take control of his actions.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #8
Miyagi-san
Goldmember
 
Miyagi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scott AFB, IL
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: Shooting random people

I have pics of my kid all over Facebook, if you think a determined enough individual can't get past their 'security' you would be wrong. Innocent until proven creepy....and simply taking photos is not creepy. But again, situational....as avid a fan I am of candid photography, I realize that in this day and age people immediately assume creeper status. I try to stick to very crowded public areas and shoot from afar. I don't really hide but keeping a bit of distance works well for me. Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.
__________________
".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"
Miyagi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #9
Miyagi-san
Goldmember
 
Miyagi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scott AFB, IL
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: Shooting random people

Lol, not candies, candids....haha dumb iPad auto correct. Free candy!!!
__________________
".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"
Miyagi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #10
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
 
RDKirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,579
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Unfortunately I feel the best candies are wide angles up close....just rambling.
I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #11
Miyagi-san
Goldmember
 
Miyagi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scott AFB, IL
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
I would agree. But in such circumstances, that involves gaining just enough rapport with the subject(s) that they realize you're not a threat and start ignoring you. Some of the best street photographers hung around a particular area for days or weeks to get to that point. If it's an area for good pictures, good pictures will continue to happen.
Never thought of that good point
__________________
".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"
Miyagi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #12
brokensocial
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 481
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
In civilized nations, people don't mind having their pictures taken in public because they realize they have not been harmed and nothing has been taken from them that they were not freely offering. Part of being civilized is the ability to identify a true offense.

Uncivilized people from primitive areas think it steals their souls or something. Every act in a primitive culture is presumed to have spiritual/moral/social influence beyond any rational effects of the act itself.
Indeed. That said, it's much easier to do if you've got a smaller camera and are in a more public setting where picture taking is expected (e.g., the zoo).
__________________
[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography | chicago wedding photography blog
brokensocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #13
seattle1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 284
Default Re: Shooting random people

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
Check out http://book.85mm.ch/ (free ebook) which has some answers.

I actually don't like to do it. I think it is rude to take pictures without asking. There is quite some arguments around this and other boards around the ethics of taking pics of strangers.
Thanks for the link. I have done some street photography and enjoy doing the candid shots. I have been lucky since most people are fine with it.
seattle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting Random People - Issues? GDane123 General Photography Talk 20 12th of September 2010 (Sun) 16:10
Random People asashraf People Talk 7 2nd of September 2010 (Thu) 15:58
Random people bikerider People 10 27th of August 2007 (Mon) 01:21
Random people outside gugu People 17 5th of February 2006 (Sun) 10:43
Random people ^MikeG People 10 26th of February 2005 (Sat) 09:11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.