Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 09:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens?

KipS
235 posts
Joined Mar 2010
NE Nebraska
Mar 30, 2012 09:08 |  #1

OK. If I had an unlimited source of money, I'd buy a Canon L. But....that's not the case. So....I'm looking at a couple other lenses.

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
or
Tamron Zoom Telephoto SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Will be used for Wildlife photography (and yes I know that's obvious by the thread), but mainly birds.

Anybody used or have any input on either lens. I have a specific one I'm leaning toward, but would like some feedback from people on here.

Thanks.

primeone
Joined Nov 2009
Israel
Mar 30, 2012 13:20 |  #2

I've got the Sigma and I love it.

I haven't used the Tamron but I'd prefer a lens with stabilization. The stabilization is just as important for helping me frame the picture as it is for keeping the picture sharp.

If that isn't important for you then you can add the older Sigma 50-500.

Robert

7D | 350D/Rebel XT | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF-S 10-18 STM IS | EF 50 1.8 II | Σ 17-70 DC Macro OS HSM (sold) | Σ "Bigmos" 150-500 AF APO DG OS HSM | 430EX II | Fotodiox Angled Finder

KipS
THREAD ­ STARTER
235 posts
Joined Mar 2010
NE Nebraska
Apr 02, 2012 08:50 |  #3

Thanks for the response.

BodyResults
122 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Seattle
Apr 06, 2012 00:31 |  #4

If you do get the Sigma or Tamron make sure there is a return policy and really check it out in that period. There are more quality variations on those lenses than Canon but good copies do exist.

1,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.