Printing problem on B&W

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 12:22   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Zebedee123
Joined Jun 2010
240 posts
Darley, North Yorkshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi guys - I always turn to POTN for help and usually someone knows the answer!

I'm printing B&W photos - I've done it 1000's of times - get great results from my Canon printer - now I want to do it for myself (my wedding photos to B&W) they are printing out with a green tint! WTF?? I am printing greyscale - they are green, not greyscale they are green - I've tried changing the paper - I've checked the pics and there's no colour in them. I'm using a canon camera, canon printer, canon ink, canon paper..........

Please help why have they gone this horrible green??

Thanks in advance.
Paula

Post #1, Apr 01, 2012 12:22:39

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphyexternal link
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What specific printer do you have?

Some printers print B&W photos with a tint unless you specifically go into the driver and find the option to only print grayscale, but what exactly you need to do varies from model to model. Some printers handle grayscale without tweaking. But since you say you've done is successfully before, well, I don't know what could have changed...do you?

Post #2, Apr 01, 2012 12:35:56

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Zebedee123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2010
240 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm picking "grayscale" from the driver, like I always have. It's always been spot on before, no idea what's changed.
I've used some compat
able cartridges instead of canon but the black ones are still canon cartridges so I don't think it could be that. Other than that I have no clue....

Post #3, Apr 01, 2012 13:36:38

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphyexternal link
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

WesternGuy
Joined Jul 2006
717 posts
Southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Paula, as Tony has asked what printer are you using? Also, which application are you printing from?

When I first started doing some B&W conversions, I found that my Canon I9900 gave a slight 'magenta' tint to some of them - don't know where your green tint is coming from. I upgraded to a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II printer and no longer have a problem with my black and white images. FYI, I upgraded because I got a real steal of a deal from a Canadian supplier including free delivery half way across the country. I use Canon inks, but I usually print on Ilford papers using the ICC profile supplied by Ilford - no problems. I print using Lightroom.

WesternGuy

Post #4, Apr 01, 2012 15:14:11

CrayonNinja
Joined Feb 2012
222 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

No, that's false information, he is just using pure black ink, higher quality printers have a seperate ink cartridge for each colour, from the basic CMYK up to 10+ cartridges with different shades of each colour and others, he chose grayscale, so it should be grayscale. I'd swap out the black cartridge and see if that fixes it, could have just been a quality issue with that one becoming contaminated.

Post #5, Apr 01, 2012 16:58:17

sponsored links
Rimmer
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the correction. I have deleted the erroneous information. :cool:

Post #6, Apr 01, 2012 17:17:35

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

My experiences in these kind of situations where a printer suddenly goes stupid would have me double checking the paper profile in use.

Post #7, Apr 01, 2012 17:21:38

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

CrayonNinja wrote in post #14192148external link
No, that's false information, he is just using pure black ink, higher quality printers have a seperate ink cartridge for each colour, from the basic CMYK up to 10+ cartridges with different shades of each colour and others, he chose grayscale, so it should be grayscale. I'd swap out the black cartridge and see if that fixes it, could have just been a quality issue with that one becoming contaminated.

Well there is an issue and a question floating, though.

There are some printers that if you send them a B&W print they will actually print an "RGB" image, resulting in a "monochrome" image that often has a bit of a cast, which is why we wanted to make sure that the printer is only using a black or gray cartridge.

So the OP insists that that is the case. Since I don't have the printer I can't troubleshoot the problem. But where does the green come from? Those of us who have seen the cast have typically gone away when we've tweaked the driver settings properly, but if that's been done, I don't have a clue, and the question remains if only the black is being used where does the color come from? Is it actually green, or maybe just black that has a weird "look" to it?

Post #8, Apr 01, 2012 18:43:46

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

CrayonNinja
Joined Feb 2012
222 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Maybe try taking out the other colour cartridges leaving only the black and see if the problem persists.

Post #9, Apr 01, 2012 20:24:14

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Joined Apr 2005
12,598 posts
Gesher Haziv, Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

Actually Rimmer was partially correct (only half a kipper today), as Tony says it depends on the model. If the printer has only one black cartridge it has to obtain all the 256 shades of grey by dithering, varying the distance between dots and/or their size, which is often not successfully done or may be beyond the abilities of the printer. For this reason some printers with only one black won't even attempt it and print RGB even when greyscale is set and attempt to combine the colors in a way which will produce grey. Unfortunately, it is only in idealized mathematical color spaces that [R=G=B] = Grey, so the device profile must be very accurate to avoid a color cast. Printers that do good quality B/W have, in addition to black, one or more shades of grey.

Post #10, Apr 02, 2012 04:15:18

Elie / אלי
I look at the world and I notice it's turning, while my guitar gently weeps.
With every mistake we must surely be learning, still my guitar gently weeps.
Paul Harrison
Siteexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Pretty sure my Canon 9000 uses only Black when "Greyscale Only" is checked and it has only one black cartridge...

I used to get some funky tints with RGB B&W but greyscale only eliminated them and I get outstanding prints on both the very good Ilford Smooth Pearl and the "cheap" Canon glossy papers. I get excellent metallics on the Red River stuff too!

Post #11, Apr 02, 2012 04:20:48

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Zebedee123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2010
240 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow - thanks for all the replies guys - so I am using a Canon IP4600 - it has two black ink cartridges and when you choose greyscale it only uses a black ink cartridge to print - so it is not the case that it's mixing the ink. I have had fantastic results from this printer so far - I have some B&W's on my wall that this printer produced only two weeks ago - I printed one of the same images this morning and it's green!
Here' what I think MAY have happen - what so you think? I have used compatible cartridges for the CYM colours (as they've run out I've used these new cartridges) BOTH blacks are still Canon - the yellow is next to the large black - do you think it could have become contaminated?
Thanks again folks
Paula

Post #12, Apr 02, 2012 05:05:06

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

What paper are you using and are you sure you're using the correct profile? You aren't by chance trying to double color manage with profiles enabled both through your printer and your software of choice?

Post #13, Apr 02, 2012 05:09:35

Jay

Zebedee123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2010
240 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I’m using Canon paper – always have and have had great results. Not changed paper profiles either. I’ve also printed on some canon matt – selected it’s profile and I get the same results – I really don’t think it’s the paper

Post #14, Apr 02, 2012 06:32:25

Zebedee123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2010
240 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CrayonNinja wrote in post #14192148external link

I think I'm going to try this - but I'm going to change the yellow too - as thats a compatable cartridge - I'll put a canon one in and see if that works - thanks

Paula (she not he ;))

Post #15, Apr 02, 2012 06:34:55

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing problem on B&W
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES