Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #1
Zebedee123

Default Printing problem on B&W

Hi guys - I always turn to POTN for help and usually someone knows the answer!

I'm printing B&W photos - I've done it 1000's of times - get great results from my Canon printer - now I want to do it for myself (my wedding photos to B&W) they are printing out with a green tint! WTF?? I am printing greyscale - they are green, not greyscale they are green - I've tried changing the paper - I've checked the pics and there's no colour in them. I'm using a canon camera, canon printer, canon ink, canon paper..........

Please help why have they gone this horrible green??

Thanks in advance.
Paula
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #2
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: Printing problem on B&W

What specific printer do you have?

Some printers print B&W photos with a tint unless you specifically go into the driver and find the option to only print grayscale, but what exactly you need to do varies from model to model. Some printers handle grayscale without tweaking. But since you say you've done is successfully before, well, I don't know what could have changed...do you?
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
Zebedee123

I'm picking "grayscale" from the driver, like I always have. It's always been spot on before, no idea what's changed.
I've used some compat
able cartridges instead of canon but the black ones are still canon cartridges so I don't think it could be that. Other than that I have no clue....
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
WesternGuy

Paula, as Tony has asked what printer are you using? Also, which application are you printing from?

When I first started doing some B&W conversions, I found that my Canon I9900 gave a slight 'magenta' tint to some of them - don't know where your green tint is coming from. I upgraded to a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II printer and no longer have a problem with my black and white images. FYI, I upgraded because I got a real steal of a deal from a Canadian supplier including free delivery half way across the country. I use Canon inks, but I usually print on Ilford papers using the ICC profile supplied by Ilford - no problems. I print using Lightroom.

WesternGuy
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #5
CrayonNinja
User is banned from forums

No, that's false information, he is just using pure black ink, higher quality printers have a seperate ink cartridge for each colour, from the basic CMYK up to 10+ cartridges with different shades of each colour and others, he chose grayscale, so it should be grayscale. I'd swap out the black cartridge and see if that fixes it, could have just been a quality issue with that one becoming contaminated.
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #6
Rimmer

Thanks for the correction. I have deleted the erroneous information.
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #7
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

My experiences in these kind of situations where a printer suddenly goes stupid would have me double checking the paper profile in use.
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #8
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayonNinja View Post
No, that's false information, he is just using pure black ink, higher quality printers have a seperate ink cartridge for each colour, from the basic CMYK up to 10+ cartridges with different shades of each colour and others, he chose grayscale, so it should be grayscale. I'd swap out the black cartridge and see if that fixes it, could have just been a quality issue with that one becoming contaminated.
Well there is an issue and a question floating, though.

There are some printers that if you send them a B&W print they will actually print an "RGB" image, resulting in a "monochrome" image that often has a bit of a cast, which is why we wanted to make sure that the printer is only using a black or gray cartridge.

So the OP insists that that is the case. Since I don't have the printer I can't troubleshoot the problem. But where does the green come from? Those of us who have seen the cast have typically gone away when we've tweaked the driver settings properly, but if that's been done, I don't have a clue, and the question remains if only the black is being used where does the color come from? Is it actually green, or maybe just black that has a weird "look" to it?
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #9
CrayonNinja
User is banned from forums

Maybe try taking out the other colour cartridges leaving only the black and see if the problem persists.
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #10
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Actually Rimmer was partially correct (only half a kipper today), as Tony says it depends on the model. If the printer has only one black cartridge it has to obtain all the 256 shades of grey by dithering, varying the distance between dots and/or their size, which is often not successfully done or may be beyond the abilities of the printer. For this reason some printers with only one black won't even attempt it and print RGB even when greyscale is set and attempt to combine the colors in a way which will produce grey. Unfortunately, it is only in idealized mathematical color spaces that [R=G=B] = Grey, so the device profile must be very accurate to avoid a color cast. Printers that do good quality B/W have, in addition to black, one or more shades of grey.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #11
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Pretty sure my Canon 9000 uses only Black when "Greyscale Only" is checked and it has only one black cartridge...

I used to get some funky tints with RGB B&W but greyscale only eliminated them and I get outstanding prints on both the very good Ilford Smooth Pearl and the "cheap" Canon glossy papers. I get excellent metallics on the Red River stuff too!
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #12
Zebedee123

Wow - thanks for all the replies guys - so I am using a Canon IP4600 - it has two black ink cartridges and when you choose greyscale it only uses a black ink cartridge to print - so it is not the case that it's mixing the ink. I have had fantastic results from this printer so far - I have some B&W's on my wall that this printer produced only two weeks ago - I printed one of the same images this morning and it's green!
Here' what I think MAY have happen - what so you think? I have used compatible cartridges for the CYM colours (as they've run out I've used these new cartridges) BOTH blacks are still Canon - the yellow is next to the large black - do you think it could have become contaminated?
Thanks again folks
Paula
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #13
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

What paper are you using and are you sure you're using the correct profile? You aren't by chance trying to double color manage with profiles enabled both through your printer and your software of choice?
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #14
Zebedee123

I’m using Canon paper – always have and have had great results. Not changed paper profiles either. I’ve also printed on some canon matt – selected it’s profile and I get the same results – I really don’t think it’s the paper
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #15
Zebedee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayonNinja View Post
I think I'm going to try this - but I'm going to change the yellow too - as thats a compatable cartridge - I'll put a canon one in and see if that works - thanks

Paula (she not he )
Closed Thread