Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 00:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D3 Focus point visibility

bosmankb
208 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Apr 01, 2012 08:50 |  #106

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14190049external link
I'm not defending canon, I'm saying that people didn't cause an uproar then, so canon didn't know it would be an issue. Basically, canon has a habit of testing some of their ideas out on lesser cameras before rolling them out on the bigger lines to make sure people like them and to iron out the kinks. Why do you think the 1Dx AF is in the 5D3 FIRST... But since no one complained when the 7D was launched, they probably assumed it wasn't a big deal. It obviously is, I just hope it's something that can be fixed via firmware. :)

Its cool man, i just never followed the thread on the 7d because i didn't need it but i will say this as a side note, the 7d locks focus even beter than my 1dm3 at least at the center point. I go thru hundreds of thousands of images during a summer and the guys that shoot for me that have upgraded to the 7d have had higher hit rate percentages since the upgrade and fewer misses like my 1dm3 can at times. I am super impressed with it. I know the sports photographer owner of Actions Sports Images personally and he has been shooting the 7d instead of upgrading his 1dm2n bodies. He would like to still use the m2n's but he is sick of repairing them and he wants more buffer these days.

1DMIII | 5DIII March 22nd 2012 | 70-200 2.8L II | 85L II | 24L II | 40 F2.8

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Apr 01, 2012 22:22 |  #107

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14188235external link
I have been told that if you use the rear focus button and disable the half pressure AF function of the shutter release button, then the AF point illuminates as per the 5DII. I haven't had the chance to verify yet.

You are only half right on this.

The viewfinder will light up under 2 conditions: when focus is achieved and when the active AF point is changed.

If you configure one of the back buttons to be "AF using registered AF point" then when you press on the button the active AF is switch from the selected AF point to the registered AF point, and when you release the button it switches back to using whatever was the selected AF point. Changing the active AF point from selected to registered and back to selected means that the viewfinder illumination will blink twice if you tap the back AF button.

On my 1Ds and my 7D, I have them configured so that AF-On is AF using selected AF point and * is AF using registered AF point. I assume that I will be using the same configuration if/when I replace those to bodies with a 5DIII.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Apr 01, 2012 22:24 |  #108

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14190049external link
But since no one complained when the 7D was launched, they probably assumed it wasn't a big deal.

That should probably be "not enough people complained" or "nobody complained loud enough" because we certainly did hash out the subject. I think maybe it got overshadowed by the drop in FPS when shooting in the dark.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
New York City
Apr 01, 2012 22:33 |  #109

Answer to my email. Not even a suggestion of passing it on upstairs.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your EOS 5D Mark III inquiry about the the AF Focus point visibility in low light.
Unfortunately, there is currently no firmware fix to make the AF Focus points brighter for low light shooting. The AF Focus points on the EOS 5D Mark III illuminate the same way as they do on the EOS 7D.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your with your EOS 5D Mark III inquiry. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,
R*********
Technical Support Representative

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D III | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Westchester County, NY
Apr 01, 2012 22:35 |  #110

Hogloff wrote in post #14183311external link
How the hell does this get by all the testing Canon must have done with the camera before releasing it. Boggles the mind at times.

I have seen the same with other items purchased. I think the companies do this on purpose - make the correction, and then people say Yeah! They do care - I call it marketing, even as poor as it can be.
It takes creativity and money to have good marketing.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

mtavel
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 01, 2012 22:57 |  #111

tvphotog wrote in post #14193861external link
Answer to my email. Not even a suggestion of passing it on upstairs.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your EOS 5D Mark III inquiry about the the AF Focus point visibility in low light.
Unfortunately, there is currently no firmware fix to make the AF Focus points brighter for low light shooting. The AF Focus points on the EOS 5D Mark III illuminate the same way as they do on the EOS 7D.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your with your EOS 5D Mark III inquiry. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,
R*********
Technical Support Representative

Well, they did ask if they could be of any further assistance :)

I think you would be in the right to ask Canon what is done with this kind of feedback... you could also toss in that even though the illumination works the same way on the 7D, the 5D III is a different camera with different capabilities making this behavior more of a drawback now.

It seems like an excuse to negate a complaint about one camera (with unique capabilities) because a different camera with different capabilities behaves the same way.

I didn't get anything resembling an earnest effort to escalate feedback until I followed up on my initial complaint.

Tavel Photographyexternal link

Legion5
84 posts
Joined May 2010
Apr 01, 2012 23:27 |  #112

This is something they could easily fix in firmware, just e-mail them enough times and they will add the option of doing it somewhere such as "VF illumination OFF, Confirm, Always On".

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Apr 02, 2012 00:09 |  #113

The 7D and the D300/s and D700 have that problem too. I like how the 1 series before the 1Dx that uses the same AF point style as the 5d mk III. The older bodies and nikons D3/4 series bodies use translucent red squares to see. It is great in low light, but on white or bright backgrounds it is impossible to see(nikon more then canon from my experiences) so you basically have the exact opposite problem. You either get good in low to moderate light, or good in bright to moderate light. I dont mind the low light side because I feel it is more versatile.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

rednefed
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2011
Apr 02, 2012 01:51 as a reply to The Fox's post |  #114

Rebel style: the focusing screen itself is etched with the AF points. Lit up by LED, very cheap, effective, and simple, but often leads to visual clutter as the etchings aren't as fine or subtle as a superimposed display's (see below, 5DII style). Does not allow replacement of customized focusing screens without loss of AF point display functionality.

20D to 5DII style: an etched superimposed display above the focusing screen that lights up red when a specific LED is lit. Internal reflections can lead to the light spilling over onto the viewing screen, apparent in cameras like the 5DII and Olympus E-3/E-5. Markings are very fine but clear enough to see in most lighting (obviously, you're not seeing any markings no matter the method in a pitch black room), and the lit AF points can be seen in the worst of environments.

1D2, 1D3, 1D4, Nikon D3 and D4: red rectangles are displayed on an LCD via LEDs, the output is directed using prisms and/or mirrors to the main viewing path. Some cameras use dichroic filters instead (the 1D4 for sure; maybe also the 1D3, but not the 1DsIII). Inactive AF points are not lit, but subtly visible. Can't see AF points in very bright conditions such as pointing into the sun, but easy to use in dark or fast-paced environments. Having used cameras with all the technologies, this is my favorite.

5DIII, 7D, Nikon D700 and under: a sandwiched LCD layer above the focusing screen displays focus points and other things (battery warning, etc.) using liquid crystal. Allows use of on-demand grid lines, digital spirit levels, etc. However, the LCD layer will darken the viewfinder, and AF points are black. Lit by side LED, the light can often spill into the main optical path, which is where the 5DIII complaints are coming from. Happened in some Sony cameras and the D700 and D800 also.

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Wiltshire, UK
Apr 02, 2012 07:22 |  #115

Yep, this isn't a 5DIII design failure but a situation that's been copied over from the 7D. I think this probably wasn't spotted by 7D users because it's not a camera that excells in low light work (iso etc). So it's only become apparent with the 5DIII. It's not really affecting me much, I'm a One Shot guy any how. I only use AI servo to track wildlife movement....which is usually in good light anyhow :D

Regards, Gareth Cooper
"If you’re happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then you’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List Flickrexternal link

flurofocus
139 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 02, 2012 08:58 |  #116

well after reading through the entire thread its definately an issue for some people and I hope canon will issue a firmware update to make it blink.... hopefully its not hardware limited...

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Big "D" - Texas
Apr 02, 2012 09:08 |  #117

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14195408external link
Yep, this isn't a 5DIII design failure but a situation that's been copied over from the 7D. I think this probably wasn't spotted by 7D users because it's not a camera that excells in low light work (iso etc). So it's only become apparent with the 5DIII. It's not really affecting me much, I'm a One Shot guy any how. I only use AI servo to track wildlife movement....which is usually in good light anyhow :D

No...maybe 7D shooter learned how the system worked instead of complaining because shooters do not want to learn. imagine that!?!?!? shooter want new stuff but it must respond as previous cameras.

a wedding shooter here and shoot in low light. the 7D will work in darker situations than my 1DsII.

Actually, there were more issue with 7D shooters just trying to learn a new AF. The default all point messed many people up.

not sure if this helps - i have not read the entire thread....
(I will say i do not own a 5Dmk3 yet....)

7D setup:
I turn off all points and only have the active AF point turned on, whether in small spot/spot/extended.
I also have the joy stick activated to move my focus point around.

never had an issue where i could not see the AF point. But then again... the 5Dmk3 has a lot of points.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007
Sweden
Apr 02, 2012 09:21 |  #118

Ziffle wrote in post #14195748external link
No...maybe 7D shooter learned how the system worked instead of complaining because shooters do not want to learn. imagine that!?!?!?

Exactly why do you see a need to be so provocative?

Don't you agree that 5D3 users are likely to use their camera in way darker environments than 7D users do? If not - why don't you agree with this? You don't believe there is a difference in what ISO level that gives acceptable images?

not sure if this helps - i have not read the entire thread....

Reading a full thread before adding "!?!?!?" comments is sometimes a good thing to do, you know ;)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Apr 02, 2012 09:56 |  #119

Ziffle wrote in post #14195748external link
No...maybe 7D shooter learned how the system worked instead of complaining because shooters do not want to learn. imagine that!?!?!?

how can i learn to see a black box in a low-light situation that's got considerable darkness?

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

mtavel
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 02, 2012 09:59 |  #120

narlus wrote in post #14196013external link
how can i learn to see a black box in a low-light situation that's got considerable darkness?

Exactly this! I think many people don't realize that the 5D mk III can lock focus on subjects that are in very low light.... easily beyond the point where the black box focus point becomes undetectable before it blinks red (after it has locked)

Tavel Photographyexternal link

sponsored links

42,479 views & 4 likes for this thread
5D3 Focus point visibility
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.