Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 16:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D Mk 1 still worth getting?

rpavich
28 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 04, 2012 16:08 |  #1

I was wondering something.
I'm a current 550D (T2i) user and I wanted to move up to a FF camera.

I've been oogling the 5D MK II but they are still way to expensive (1750.00 refurbed) for me.

I noticed that 5D MK I's go for 750.00 on Ebay every day of the week.

Here is my question: Is the MK I still a good camera when your main consideration is image quality and low light performance that's at least equal to the t2i?

I don't care about many features, how many AF points it has, how many program modes, or (within reason) having the most megapixels.

I'm interested in getting a FF camera that produces good image quality (better than the t2i hopefully) and retaining the ability to make 20x24 prints that are pretty good looking. (I can do that now with the T2i)

What would you say about this path?

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Elgin, IL
Apr 04, 2012 16:16 |  #2

No, it's horrible.

Just kidding.

It really depends on what you think an improvement over your t2i would be.

A 5DC is capable of 20x24, of course, but you will have less pixel density as you enlarge. Eventually, you reach a point that the t2i shot will render more detail. 20x24 may be large enough, but I can't be sure.

The body functions are archaic by comparison (unless you're used to a 20D/30D) the burst is as slow as your t2i, the AF is as slow and generally accurate as your t21.

Rather than spend 800 on a 5DC, I'd save longer and move to a 5D2. What you may want to ask yourself is WHY you want to move to a much older full frame body over your fairly modern and quality crop body.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

frozenmoments925
511 posts
Joined Mar 2011
BIG APPLE, NYC
Apr 04, 2012 16:19 |  #3

2 words

HELL YES....

Canon 5D Mark IV / Canon EOS M5 /Canon 5D Mark III /Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS Mark II / Canon 24-70L f/2.8 Mark II / Canon 35L f/1.4 / Canon 135L f/2 / Canon 580 EX II / Sony a6000 / Sony SEL35F18

booja
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Apr 04, 2012 16:22 |  #4

as dumb as it sounds the crappy lcd really bothers me on the old 5d

when i shoot with my 85L wide open and want to make sure i hit focus i actually have no idea if i did or not because of the LCD. its also all yellow greenish tinted so it throws you off

ive taken some great pics with a t2i... good lenses and pp skills go a long way

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
Joined Feb 2009
Kansas City
Apr 04, 2012 16:23 |  #5

Well, going to a FF from crop .....and it seems everyone is doing it ....why not

Jason612
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Apr 04, 2012 16:26 |  #6

im actually in a very similar position, I have a t3i and was looking to go to FF.
I'm def going for the 5dc mainly because the price is basically the same but I never use the video function so I would much rather go FF.
I hear certain 5dc do not have the greenish tint and it depends on the year you got it, and while pictures look beautiful on the t3i's articulated screen, I dont plan on showing people my pictures on my camera so I wouldn't mind the greenish tint anyways

bobfather
57 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Apr 04, 2012 16:34 |  #7

In terms of pixel pitch, the 5D classic is the best of all of the 5Ds. Combine that with the fairly weak low-pass filter, and the per-pixel sharpness of the 5D, all other things equal, is probably the best of any of Canon's cameras.

With that said, the rear LCD is small and the 5D isn't as capable in low light as the MK II and MK III (although I've heard it said that the 5D low-light performance equals or is slightly worse than the 7D). Combine that with the fact that I've seen the 5D II for as cheap as $1600 on Craigslist here in Houston, and the 5D classic doesn't seem so appealing. I have yet to see a 5DC go for less than $800 anywhere. If they ever get to $700 or so, they'd be a steal at that price, in my opinion.

rpavich
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 04, 2012 16:35 |  #8

After thinking about it and reading the thread here....I decided that I'm just going to wait a year and get a 5D MKII.

I know that the saved cash wouldn't make up for me wondering if I would have been happier with a MKII the whole time.

Thanks everyone.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Apr 04, 2012 16:40 |  #9

Especially for the CHEAP prices you can get them for now, yes! As long as its in good condition with as low as possible shutter count, its still an amazingly good camera.

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

MidnightUK
147 posts
Joined Feb 2012
UK / GB
Apr 04, 2012 16:46 |  #10

I bought a new 7D and was later offered a 5Dc at a very good price. I bought it and am glad. I use a lot of fixed lenses so its doubled up my range of focal lengths effectively. Its also a very friendly camera to use and seems much more tolerant of difficult lighting conditions than the 7D.

A lot of people seem to scorn it for being 'dated' but its not so much dated as different. The person I bought it from upgraded to the 5D2 and said afterwards he wished he had not bothered as the feature set was not different enough to be any benefit for his purposes.

I like using it, it makes a nice change from the complex 7D. Its a relaxing camera to use.
Different, not better or worse. You need to think if it fits the sort of photos you do, but you need to consider that with any camera or lens. I am just replacing the shutter on mine as I think the camera well worth it. I cant see me ever selling it, getting other cameras over time yes, but I really like the 'personality' of this one.

DV2000NJ
165 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central NJ
Apr 04, 2012 16:47 |  #11

bobfather wrote in post #14210066external link
I have yet to see a 5DC go for less than $800 anywhere. If they ever get to $700 or so, they'd be a steal at that price, in my opinion.

They're going for $700 already if you look hard enough. A few went for that price on the FredMiranda classifieds over the last week, and one local to me with around 33k clicks went for $675.

I was able to get one with 22000 clicks and a BG-E4 for $800 shipped, should definitely be a nice upgrade from my Rebel XS when it shows up on Monday.

-Dan
5D Mk1 Gripped - 100mm f/2.0 - 50mm f/1.8 - 70-300 IS USM
Flickrexternal link || Facebookexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 04, 2012 16:56 |  #12

the original 5d is very capable of producing very good photos.

booja
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Apr 04, 2012 16:56 |  #13

with these threads i always wonder whats the main reason for crop users go to FF? especially from rebels.

most of the people that say they want it for IQ probably wont even print anything large enough to even notice the real difference.

Jason612 wrote in post #14210027external link
I hear certain 5dc do not have the greenish tint and it depends on the year you got it, and while pictures look beautiful on the t3i's articulated screen, I dont plan on showing people my pictures on my camera so I wouldn't mind the greenish tint anyways

ive had 2 5dc an old one with the serial starting at 1 and another with with 2. both seem the same to me.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Elgin, IL
Apr 04, 2012 17:00 |  #14

booja wrote in post #14210183external link
with these threads i always wonder whats the main reason i see crop users go to FF. especially from rebels.

This.

That's why I asked what he was looking to gain by moving to FF. Honestly, people are dropping newer, more feature-rich bodies for the 5DC because it's the only way they can afford to get into full frame.

But that doesn't answer WHY they're doing it.

Yes, there are very real reasons, but most casual shooters, as 1st time DSLR buyers often are, are very well catered for by the Rebel line. Low cost, durable, capable.

Honestly, even though I'd shot film for years, I never really thought about the difference between a 35mm frame and a 1.6 crop camera until I joined POTN. I do honestly have to wonder just how many people come asking if they should buy a 5DC are doing it because they NEED something that full-frame offers or because they're riding the wave of FF IS GOD that tends to float about here.

Now that the 5D3 has brought fast burst rates and quick, accurate AF to full frame (without a sealed pro body) going FF makes sense unless you have a huge EF-S glass investment. At some point I will move to a 5D3 and use it to replace all the other cameras in my kit. As much as I like the 5D2, I never wanted to spend that much for something I didn't think would ALWAYS perform as well as I needed it to.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

booja
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Jan 2008
houston, tx
Apr 04, 2012 17:03 |  #15

Virto wrote in post #14210207external link
This.

That's why I asked what he was looking to gain by moving to FF. Honestly, people are dropping newer, more feature-rich bodies for the 5DC because it's the only way they can afford to get into full frame.

But that doesn't answer WHY they're doing it.

Yes, there are very real reasons, but most casual shooters, as 1st time DSLR buyers often are, are very well catered for by the Rebel line. Low cost, durable, capable.

Honestly, even though I'd shot film for years, I never really thought about the difference between a 35mm frame and a 1.6 crop camera until I joined POTN. I do honestly have to wonder just how many people come asking if they should buy a 5DC are doing it because they NEED something that full-frame offers or because they're riding the wave of FF IS GOD that tends to float about here.

i would personally take a 7d over a 5dc

everything is better...

noise is compareable and ISO can go higher
better metering, AF, performance, FPS, LCD
video, weather proof (kind of... more so than the 5d)

sponsored links

5,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mk 1 still worth getting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.