Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 20:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What was your best learning/growing experience as a photographer?

Stiven
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Apr 04, 2012 22:41 |  #16

emelvee wrote in post #14211895external link
I learned the most from school, and now from being an intern ... you learn something new every day ... including from your mistakes!

As one that has been through both the academic and the business side of learning - what would you say are the strong points of these? What was the main thing you learned in school and what was it as an intern?

Curious about how schools prepare you in relation to real work-life preparation.

sponsored links
Stiven
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Apr 04, 2012 22:45 |  #17

Phrasikleia wrote in post #14211916external link
Gosh, I've had a lot of these moments, and they always make me wonder what took me so long to get there.

The most significant was probably my inaugural use of a tripod as a creative tool--not just to stabilize the camera but to hold my composition while I watched the light change and the clouds shift around. Using the tripod like this got the camera out of the way and encouraged me to take in my surroundings in a more direct and deliberate fashion. It was a very liberating experience. Of course the real joy was coming home and being able to pick a shot out of the resulting set of photos, all of the same composition but with different cloud patterns and different light. Had I walked away after my first few shots, I would have missed the most interesting moment that came much later on.

I've made countless little discoveries and advancements over the years, but few were as pivotal as that one. The little ones are great too, though, and they are part of what keeps me addicted to photography: every outing either teaches me something new or reinforces what I've already learned. Gotta love it. :)

Great story. I take it this was pretty much a purely, how do I phrase it - introspective learning experience. Have most of them been like that? How do you find other photographers or magazines in helping you reach those small eureka moments?

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Apr 04, 2012 22:46 |  #18

Phrasikleia wrote in post #14211916external link
The most significant was probably my inaugural use of as tripod a creative tool--not just to stabilize the camera but to hold my composition

Yes, I can relate to this, I forgot about this from years ago. I find it very hard to compose any type of landscape shot without a tripod - I just can't easily fine-tune and deliberate on the composition without one.

I was in Rocky Mountain NP last week with family and didn't bother with the tripod in the middle of the day and tried taking a couple of landscapes and a waterfall shot and even though I could use the shutter speeds I wanted (low and high) it was awkward and the shots could/should definitely have been better.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Stiven
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Apr 04, 2012 22:47 |  #19

The Fox wrote in post #14211847external link
Mine was after I left school and started to work in the real world. I realized that I was not awesome, but rather crappy. That point is when I learned the most in photography after that point. I now still suck, but at least admit it.

Nick

Could you give me an example of what that means concretely? How did you realize that - was it a harsh critique? And how did you pull yourself up to become better from that point? What helped you become better?

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
Apr 04, 2012 22:55 as a reply to post 14211847 |  #20

Not so much a learning experience...but definitely the turning point;

I was standing on the Rialto Bridge in Venice, Italy, trying to take a decent shot of the evening scene below me with a little Canon Ixus P&S.

Although I had a vague understanding of shutter/iso/aperture and that night scenes were tough, all I really knew was that I needed to turn the flash off. I was thoroughly bewildered by the fact that each successive shot (in Auto mode) was different each time in terms of exposure...

After I fluked a shot I was (and still am) happy with, I decided it was time to get serious and learn some of the basics.

The rest, they say, is history...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coastexternal link

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Apr 04, 2012 23:06 |  #21

Stiven wrote in post #14211993external link
Have most of them been like that? How do you find other photographers or magazines in helping you reach those small eureka moments?

The problem now is sifting through the crap and taking the good stuff. There is just so much our there.

I think some books that show (landscape) photographs and describe the process the photog went through have been useful for me. Two that spring to mind are Ansel Adams 'The making of 40 photographs' (might have a lot of film exposure/printing details, don't remember, but still good) and 'Reading the Landscape' by Peter Watson. The magazines, not so much.

I will add one more though - The Mindful Eye web site. The critiques, although they can belabor the same point and get a little tedious, helped me a lot in thinking about composition and PP for landscapes. If you can get through them there is a lot of useful stuff in there.

But I think different things inspire people differently. There are a bunch of good books out there beyond the 'Learning to Expose Correctly' genre, but what appeals to me might be boring and not useful to someone else.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined May 2008
Based in California and Slovenia
Apr 04, 2012 23:26 |  #22

Stiven wrote in post #14211993external link
Great story. I take it this was pretty much a purely, how do I phrase it - introspective learning experience. Have most of them been like that? How do you find other photographers or magazines in helping you reach those small eureka moments?

Yes, learning experiences often feel like spontaneous events, but I think these moments arise out of a combination of both input and output--study and practice. Looking at, reading about, and discussing photography amounts to a background that works in mysterious ways when out in the field. Sometimes a good point of advice just doesn't sink in until an actual experience drives it home. I find that internet forums like POTN are loaded with great information, but I never quite 'get it' until I've put it into practice.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Apr 04, 2012 23:53 |  #23

Stiven wrote in post #14212008external link
Could you give me an example of what that means concretely? How did you realize that - was it a harsh critique? And how did you pull yourself up to become better from that point? What helped you become better?

I had to actually do it. In school, I could half ass my way around because I know more them most if not all my instructors about the technical side and gear. The practical I did not have much going and that was my downfall. I never really had the chance(and this was my fault for not realizing everything sooner) to actually do it, just discuss how to do it and get though assignments. I though that because I know what I was talking about, that I could do it. Then I had to do it and that did not work too well for me. I know what I wanted and how to do it, but I was lacking the expereince of "what am I looking at". If I saw a correctly done image I could know it was, but not sure why I know. Now I know what I am looking at and how badly I can do at it. Let me monkey around tomorrow with something that I sent to my buddy in kind of a really interesting conversation about photography and our personally stories of how it all happened. I will but it down and make it good enough for internets use to make fun of and laugh at.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010
E Tx
Apr 05, 2012 01:56 |  #24

I'd have to say being stationed in a totally different part of the world while in the military back during that "police action" in South East Asia. I got to be good customers of the photo shops In Taichung Taiwan and was going through a box of 50 @35mm 36 exp ASA100 Fuji B&W film in about a week. The USO had trips going all over the island every weekend. I have someplace close to 5000 images on film that have never been printed yet, and close to that many color slides as well. I got to work on seeing a good image and then shooting them. I met some waitresses in a Mongolian Barbeque who taught me a few phrases to request permission to take images and I taught them greetings in American to get bigger tips from the GIs visiting their restaurant. I taught darkroom technique in the base photo hobby shop. So I was able to develop all my B&W film while teaching new shooters how to develop film and use enlargers and how to dodge and burn images.Color film and color negative film I let the Base Exchange handle.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

mcap1972
148 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Toronto
Apr 05, 2012 09:59 |  #25

Just keep shooting. There is no substitute for experience.

Avangard Photography (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 05, 2012 10:19 |  #26

taking pictures while driving. things happen quickly.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Apr 05, 2012 11:46 as a reply to rick_reno's post |  #27

I think just my general approach to photography. I was a musician for 25+ years before I picked up photography. I burned myself out with music because I took the wrong approach, a more "book-heavy" approach, trying to learn as much theory as possible instead of just letting go and playing what I hear and knowing that there's no right or wrong.

With photography, I made sure I didn't follow into the same trap. I just shot what I saw and continue to do so today. Now that's not to say I didn't learn theory or the various rules and fundamentals. Of course I did. But my emphasis was more on just going out there and shooting what I see and figuring things out for myself and most importantly, just enjoying the ride.

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009
E-town, Canada
Apr 05, 2012 20:09 as a reply to nicksan's post |  #28

Stiven wrote in post #14211963external link
As one that has been through both the academic and the business side of learning - what would you say are the strong points of these? What was the main thing you learned in school and what was it as an intern?

Curious about how schools prepare you in relation to real work-life preparation.

Being out in the real world and shooting for a newspaper that will be distributed throughout the city presents many opportunities that are way different from school in a small town. I've learned a lot from the pros that have been working for this newspaper ... I've also learned some of my own insecurities and weaknesses after looking at my pictures and theirs.

Just a small part ;)

Canon 5D Mark II | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 I | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 06, 2012 14:39 |  #29

One nice way of getting out of a rut is to pick up a new/different piece of gear and to get out and learn to use it!

I'm not saying to buy the latest and greatest DSLR, just something, whether it be a camera, a lens, a flash or lighting equipment, a tripod or other support "gear", something though that will "broaden your horizons in some way.

In fact, it's been a few years since I had a point and shoot or other "compact" digicam, I don't even have a "phone camera", they've all died over time, and I've been immersed in DSLR photography, but at times I think "hey, it would be cool to have a pocket camera so that I could grab shots on the occasion when I'm not packing a DSLR kit!"...just thinkin' out loud:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,149 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 06, 2012 14:56 |  #30

rick_reno wrote in post #14214322external link
taking pictures while driving. things happen quickly.

Sorry, I cannot let yet another distraction from driving go untouched. It is as bad as texting! STOP THE CAR, get out, take a photo, get back in the car and continue driving.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,899 views & 0 likes for this thread
What was your best learning/growing experience as a photographer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.