FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 04 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 21:57   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cameraperson
Joined May 2010
808 posts
Atlanta, GA.
[MORE/SHARE]

I was outdoors taking pictures of my six-year-old, and it was much more difficult than I expected. Sure, I've taken lots of snapshots before, but I was trying to get "good" pictures, right ones if you know what I mean.

He's rambunctious and very hard to control. No, beating him won't help :), but I would miss tons of good shots. It was late afternoon with the good light, but he'd complain the sun hurt his eyes (it was not in his eyes), or he couldn't do this or that, he moved fast, real fast, I got lots of eyes closed, missed the cute shots, and so on.

It made me think that a 60D might not be just for sports. I don't have a studio. Outdoor portraits only for me. Those little kids move fast. I need fast AF and lots of fps to not miss those shots.

Post #1, Mar 04, 2012 21:57:02

20D, Xsi, 18-55

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Gatorboy
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
2,479 posts
Bel Air, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Use AI-Servo. Tracking moving subjects takes a bit of practice. Resorting to spray-and-pray is not the solution.

Post #2, Mar 06, 2012 05:27:53

Dave Hoffmann

isophotostudio
Joined Nov 2009
494 posts
Akron, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

His eyes might just be really sensitive to the light even light that isn't shining in them, my husband has to wear sunglasses from the moment the sun pops up to the moment it goes down and when I was young I used to walk around with my right eye closed because the light bothered it so much. Took forever to break myself of the habit once I was old enough to realize I did it and how stupid it probably looked.

If we want photos of ourselves outside with sunglasses we have to do the eyes closed open on count of three, than *snap snap snap* trick.

Post #3, Mar 06, 2012 16:14:24

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
Joined Jul 2010
10,409 posts
ɹǝpun uʍop
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, shooting kids is fun, but also no fun! My grandson is so quick and he tends to run at you when you are trying to shoot him. So what I do is get my wife to play with him, use my 70-200, move right away so I am out of his immediate field of vision and zoom in for shots. By moving away he does not try to include me, he is only worried about what is close to him. Being a distance away allows me to get good sharp shots as the speed is not a severe as when you are in close quarters. It is funny, I brought a 30mm so I could be closer, but it turns out being further away works better.

Post #4, Mar 06, 2012 16:21:42

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flickexternal linkr

albertaskater
Joined Nov 2010
347 posts
Calgary, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

Fast fps is no match for timing your shot. My 7D can shoot 8fps and I shoot sports; and never use high speed continuous shooting.

Post #5, Mar 08, 2012 00:25:26

Erika
7D, 350D, 18-55 XT kit, 18-135 IS, 50 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 430 EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cameraperson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
808 posts
Atlanta, GA.
[MORE/SHARE]

I am lost on what you are telling to do and not to do. Can you clarify?

Post #6, Mar 08, 2012 12:10:51

20D, Xsi, 18-55

brokensocial
Joined Apr 2012
481 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

We've always been a fan of just improving your timing rather than chasing faster lenses or FPS. I can count the number of times on one hand where I missed a shot due to slow lenses rather than due to poor timing.

Post #7, Apr 07, 2012 09:21:33

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photographyexternal link | chicago wedding photography blogexternal link

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
16,603 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Get someone else to engage them. Even if just you, hold a toy or some object close to the camera so so they look at you. And shoot. Another option is to use longer focal length. I don't use AI servo for kids unless I am shooting kids playing sports.

Post #8, Apr 13, 2012 22:29:21

5dmk3, Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, 35L, 85L II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I need faster focusing than I thought for small kids
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES