Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 15 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 06:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Trade 50 1.8 for the 1.4?

killagbear
381 posts
Joined Feb 2011
San Francisco
Apr 15, 2012 06:18 |  #1

Been thinking of selling my 1.8 and getting the 1.4. Wondering if the 1.4 is all that it's chalked up to be? I've recently been hearing alot of complaints around the USM issue and would like to hear if that's a really big issue with current or past owners of the 1.4?

Canon 5D3 | Sigma 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 580 EXII

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Apr 15, 2012 07:46 |  #2

killagbear wrote in post #14268353external link
Been thinking of selling my 1.8 and getting the 1.4. Wondering if the 1.4 is all that it's chalked up to be? I've recently been hearing alot of complaints around the USM issue and would like to hear if that's a really big issue with current or past owners of the 1.4?

No issues with mine whatsoever. My copy is quite sharp even at 1.4, and once you get to 2.2 things REALLY get sharp. But the 1.8 is no slouch either...what is causing you to want an upgrade?

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011
Sydney, Australia
Apr 15, 2012 07:55 |  #3
banned

killagbear wrote in post #14268353external link

I used to have one and sold it before the motor fails on me - best decision i've ever made.

Build quality left a lot to be desired, soft at wide aperture, it's not that much of an upgrade from the 50 1.8 imo.

If 50mm focal length is your thing, consider Sigma 50. THAT is what you call a real upgrade.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickrexternal link | My Images on Getty®‎external link

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Boston
Apr 15, 2012 08:06 |  #4

Sigma 50mm is risky I think is not even worth it

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/external link
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/external link

Thorrulz
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
The Land of the "Go Big Red!"
Apr 15, 2012 11:40 |  #5

kin2son wrote in post #14268603external link
I used to have one and sold it before the motor fails on me - best decision i've ever made.

Build quality left a lot to be desired, soft at wide aperture, it's not that much of an upgrade from the 50 1.8 imo.

If 50mm focal length is your thing, consider Sigma 50. THAT is what you call a real upgrade.

Sigma 50 is a real solid upgrade from either of canons two cheaper offerings. My sigma 50 and 135l complement each other well.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Chicago, IL
Apr 15, 2012 11:47 |  #6
banned

Sigma 50 would be a better upgrade for its build and optic, but then you'll be playing the Sigma lottery.

I'm looking for one as well.

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickrexternal link

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Apr 15, 2012 11:48 |  #7

I have had the Canon 1.8 and the 1.4. The Sigma slaughtered them both.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 15, 2012 11:50 |  #8

I tried 3 Sigma 50's - right after it came out. They all went back. Really liked the feel/built and look of it but I couldn't find one that worked.
I might try again, I see mixed reports on them now - maybe Sigma has put some sort of QA in place.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Apr 15, 2012 12:06 |  #9

With the canon 50mm F1.8 vs 1.4, the 1.4 is what I have. The 1.8 optically is the best of all the 50mm in canon's lineup, even over the 1.2L but it is the least frills of them all. The 1.4 is the best compromise between the build and optics(with the expectation of the 50mm F1.8 mk I, it has better build in my opinion, just lacks FTM focus, and is the same exact optics as the mk II). It is worth it for me just for the overall build and mostly because my 50mm F1.8 mk I is having focusing issues and just hunts unless I clean the contacts regularly.

The issue with the AF system is because canon did not use a ring USM for focus and instead used a micro USM, which is basically a micromotor AF motot that works on the principal of USM motors. And as such, to get FTM focus with that motor they had to create a complex clutch system to allow it. The system works very well and is very reliable. The issue comes from that the lens elemets extend as it focuses towards the MFD. So if you were to have the lens extended and happen to hit the lens hard enough, you will damage the gears internally. This lens has the issue more then any other and is why people think there is an issue. But in reality, if you hit any lens hard enough it will break, and this is handled simply by having a hood in place and making sure to store the lens at infinity(which also makes the lens smaller).

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

killagbear
THREAD ­ STARTER
381 posts
Joined Feb 2011
San Francisco
Apr 16, 2012 13:51 |  #10

The Fox wrote in post #14269595external link
With the canon 50mm F1.8 vs 1.4, the 1.4 is what I have. The 1.8 optically is the best of all the 50mm in canon's lineup, even over the 1.2L but it is the least frills of them all. The 1.4 is the best compromise between the build and optics(with the expectation of the 50mm F1.8 mk I, it has better build in my opinion, just lacks FTM focus, and is the same exact optics as the mk II). It is worth it for me just for the overall build and mostly because my 50mm F1.8 mk I is having focusing issues and just hunts unless I clean the contacts regularly.

The issue with the AF system is because canon did not use a ring USM for focus and instead used a micro USM, which is basically a micromotor AF motot that works on the principal of USM motors. And as such, to get FTM focus with that motor they had to create a complex clutch system to allow it. The system works very well and is very reliable. The issue comes from that the lens elemets extend as it focuses towards the MFD. So if you were to have the lens extended and happen to hit the lens hard enough, you will damage the gears internally. This lens has the issue more then any other and is why people think there is an issue. But in reality, if you hit any lens hard enough it will break, and this is handled simply by having a hood in place and making sure to store the lens at infinity(which also makes the lens smaller).

Nick

Aah got it.

Can the people advocating for the sigma tell me why it's a better upgrade? And if the newer versions are less of a crapshoot? Or are the focusing problems still there?

If the AF problems are really persistent than I'd rather get the 1.4 and save the $100

Canon 5D3 | Sigma 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 580 EXII

Rush87
291 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Qc
Apr 16, 2012 15:23 |  #11

My Canon 50mm 1.4 feels cheap, but it focuses accurately, something my 50mm 1.8 could not do.
The Sigma feels much better.
If you want to protect the AF mechanism of the Canon 50mm 1.4, buy a $5 ebay hood and glue it (not literally) to the lens.

sponsored links

1,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trade 50 1.8 for the 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.