Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 17 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 19:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aurora Firefly vs 430EX

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 17, 2012 19:20 |  #1

I just bought a 20" Aurora Firefly from a great seller on this forum, it's really a nice piece of kit!

One thing though, my 430EX doesn't seem tall enough to fit into the hole/entry for the softbox. If I unlock the head and tilt it upward, I can get it in, but then it's not shooting straight into the softbox, and the head is in an unlocked position so it will bounce around inside (if the box is being moved around)

This sort of shows what I'm talking about, I should have taken this at a different angle to show how low the 430EX head is. I do have the mount at it's highest position.

IMAGE: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1175/no129066.jpg

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
4,714 posts
Joined Apr 2009
VA
Apr 17, 2012 19:29 |  #2

How are you triggering the flash? Doesn't look like you have anything connected to the hotshoe. If you have a wireless trigger that connects to the hotshoe, that would rais it up a bit.

Phillip - pllphotography.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | Fuji X Gear

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 17, 2012 19:47 |  #3

Good point Pward. I'm using the ST-E2, but as it now seems obvious, that isn't ideal since the flash's IR sensor is facing forward.

It might be time to sell the ST-E2 as much as I love it and get some radio triggers (are there any "cheap" triggers that also support HSS?)

Here are a few more pictures.

IMAGE: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8681/no129072.jpg

Here you can see the screw is as low (making the mount as high) as possible (the screw can't go all the way to the bottom because there is a vertical spacer that keeps the mount vertical):
IMAGE: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7921/no129073.jpg

As you can see, nowhere close to center in the softbox hole even at the highest setting (again, won't fit straight in without tipping up the head angle):
IMAGE: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/264/no129074.jpg

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,714 posts
Joined Apr 2009
VA
Apr 17, 2012 19:50 |  #4

Pixel kings I think are about the cheapest you can get right now. They connect to the hotshoe of the flash too.

http://www.amazon.com ...TF8&qid=1334710179&​sr=8-2external link

Phillip - pllphotography.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | Fuji X Gear

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Apr 17, 2012 20:12 as a reply to PLLphotography's post |  #5

If you have an off-camera shoe cord or a PC/hot shoe adapter lying around, either of those would get you some height 'till you get your radio triggers.

ṐṼḞ

Josh13
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009
San Diego CA.
Apr 17, 2012 20:40 as a reply to oldvultureface's post |  #6

You could get a 2 inch 1/4 20 screw and a few washers or nuts as spacers. Paint them black to make them look nice. remove the thumb screw and use the new hardware. I bet you could fix it from home depot for less the $3.
Or this from adorama http://www.adorama.com​/PDPLLEDSW.htmlexternal link

5D mark IV, 7D mark II, Elan 7n, S110 w/under water housing, D20 waterproof P&S, 400mm f4 DO IS, 100-400mm IS L II, 300mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L, 60mm f2.8, 1.4x TCIII, 24-70 f4L, TOKINA 16-28MM F2.8, Toking 12-28mm f4, 50MM f1.8 STM, 55-250 STM, Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Kenko 1.4x tc, Kenko Tubes, 420ex, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7r, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, 16mm f2.8, 28mm f2, Metabones IV, extension tubes.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 17, 2012 22:02 |  #7

Wow, thanks guys, all this helps. I really like those Pixel Kings, might sell my STE2.

That swivel adapter you mention Josh13 looks perfect otherwise!

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,714 posts
Joined Apr 2009
VA
Apr 17, 2012 22:20 |  #8

You asked for inexpensive e-TTL triggers and that's what I showed you. I've never used them, so I can't vouch for them, Although there is an entire thread on them with many happy users. I ended up with phottix Odin triggers over pixel king and pocket wizard flex systems.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 17, 2012 22:31 |  #9

If you use washers to raise the flash enough for the head to slide into the modifier that is a good start.
Also, you can turn the body of the speedlite to one side or the other, even backwards so it can see the STE2 signal. I presume you will have the flash and modifier fairly close to the subject which implies the camera with STE2 will be behind the 430EX. So, if you turn the body of the flash so it is facing the camera you should be good to go. Just use washers to raise the flash enough.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 17, 2012 22:46 |  #10

PWard wrote in post #14284258external link
You asked for inexpensive e-TTL triggers and that's what I showed you. I've never used them, so I can't vouch for them, Although there is an entire thread on them with many happy users. I ended up with phottix Odin triggers over pixel king and pocket wizard flex systems.

Yes those look great. I love the STE2 but I plan on doing outdoor shooting. It's been great in the past, even outside, but radios might work better so those are a good idea.

That swivel adapter though, would allow me to turn the flash to face the STE2 which would be great.

The washer idea is good and simple, maybe I will do that for now. Thanks guys!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 17, 2012 23:35 |  #11

drisley wrote in post #14284417external link
Yes those look great. I love the STE2 but I plan on doing outdoor shooting. It's been great in the past, even outside, but radios might work better so those are a good idea.

That swivel adapter though, would allow me to turn the flash to face the STE2 which would be great.

The washer idea is good and simple, maybe I will do that for now. Thanks guys!

I did some testing with my STe2 and speedlites outside about a year ago. There is a page on my tutorial site that describes what I discovered.

Essentially, as long as there is a direct line of sight and the sun is not hitting the receiver window on the flash everything works fine.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Green ­ Li
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 18, 2012 14:52 |  #12

drisley wrote in post #14283356 (external link)
I just bought a 20" Aurora Firefly from a great seller on this forum, it's really a nice piece of kit!

One thing though, my 430EX doesn't seem tall enough to fit into the hole/entry for the softbox. If I unlock the head and tilt it upward, I can get it in, but then it's not shooting straight into the softbox, and the head is in an unlocked position so it will bounce around inside (if the box is being moved around)

This sort of shows what I'm talking about, I should have taken this at a different angle to show how low the 430EX head is. I do have the mount at it's highest position.

QUOTED IMAGE

simply tilt the head up a bit and move the flash closer so it goes in. don't forget to pull out the wide-angle panel for more even light ;)

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviewsexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Googleexternal link+

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Apr 18, 2012 20:48 |  #13

Green Li wrote in post #14287856external link
simply tilt the head up a bit and move the flash closer so it goes in. don't forget to pull out the wide-angle panel for more even light ;)

You read my mind, I did all of that. The only problem with tilting the head up is that it doesn't lock into position (that first locking angle is too high) so the head flops around inside. If you move the softbox around alot (which I plan to) the head of the 430EX is going to take a beating.

Green ­ Li
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 18, 2012 20:54 |  #14

drisley wrote in post #14289669external link
You read my mind, I did all of that. The only problem with tilting the head up is that it doesn't lock into position (that first locking angle is too high) so the head flops around inside. If you move the softbox around alot (which I plan to) the head of the 430EX is going to take a beating.

:) read your mid, indeed... :)
You could use Velcro strap for protection.... Honl, lumiquest, etc.

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviewsexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Googleexternal link+

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,714 posts
Joined Apr 2009
VA
Apr 18, 2012 20:55 |  #15

Taking a second loo at your photos, can't the ring adapter for the soft box be lowered to accommodate the shorter flash?

sponsored links

5,647 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aurora Firefly vs 430EX
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.