Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 20 Apr 2012 (Friday) 17:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pixel King Hypersync results!!!!

hbomb69
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Apr 20, 2012 17:57 |  #1

I just thought I'd share some samples of my Hypersync tests using Pixel King triggers and my battery strobe Jinbei Discovery 1200

After reading a few posts on this forum regarding hypersync, I decided to give it a test...My main driver was being able to use flash with wide F stops outdoors. I was Looking into Vari ND filters and single ND filters to achieive this look, until i stumbled on the posts explaing Hypersync with manual (studio) strobes.

the pixel king transmitter is placed in the Hotshoe as normal, the receiver is connected using the pc port to 3.5mm jack into the power pack.

upto 1/250th Shutter everything is working normal, I am able to get direct flash F11 at about 10ft from subject at 2/3 power about 500w/s :):)

So then you increase the shutter speed past Max sync and at the same time open up your F stop the compensate ( as you would do with an ND filter) as guess what, the same (actually slightly better) flash/ambient ratio and coverage...:) now this is all the way to 1/8000th shutter.:eek::eek:

as long as you compensate for each stop of shutter increase by opening the aperture the same stop, you get exactly the same exposure.

so 1/250th @ F11 is the same output as 1/4000th@ F2.8

example screen grabs below, SOOC.
if you look closely as said, you actually gain about 1/3 stop more efficiency out of your strobe......

I did try this at each power setting on the strobe pack, and got the same results at minimum power and Max power:)

I am blown away by this technique, thumbs up for Pixel Kings..!!!

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/hbomb69/f11.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/hbomb69/f28.jpg

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Apr 21, 2012 02:17 |  #2

Thanks, hbomb69.

I suspect that Pixel could well have used Jinbei strobes for testing and timing in the Kings.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

hbomb69
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Apr 22, 2012 05:53 |  #3

For anyone following this thread, there have been quite a few discussions on the talk photography forum

http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk ...s/showthread.php?t=​402073external link

Mike

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Apr 22, 2012 07:31 |  #4

Talk, yes; real-life photography not so much!

I have done over 1,000 test shots to determine which exposure techniques are usable in real life. I concluded that both the high-speed sync ("flat light") and pre-sync "hypersync" are usable with my 50D and the Kings, and use them regularly.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Apr 22, 2012 10:46 |  #5

Looks good with just a bit of overexposure in the HHS image. But nothing too special and definably will be a powerful tool and better option then the PW TTL system.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

3,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pixel King Hypersync results!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.