Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Kids & Family Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #661
Y2K

Default Re: Ask me what you want.

Phenomenal thread! Seona, thank you very much for sharing your expertise and answering the questions in this thread. So much good info, it's fantastic!!
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #662
ainat

Thank you so much Seona, I've read this post from start to finish in just a few days, I couldn't stop and my head is exploding from all the new info I've got from this post. You've answered every question I had and didn't know who to ask. Thank you so much. I have only one question/request, you said that you bought a child's toy with bells to attract child's attention, can you please post a picture of it or a link to where you got it from ?

Thank you so so much for everything and I just wanted to say , your work is phenomenal and you're my new inspiration.
ainat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #663
mercersmoments

Quote:
Hi seona, what preset do you use for converting to black and white?
This is going to sound so silly, but I wouldn't know how to use a preset ! I just convert in ACR and fiddle with the blacks and contast until I like it !

Quote:
Phenomenal thread! Seona, thank you very much for sharing your expertise and answering the questions in this thread. So much good info, it's fantastic!!
I'm so pleased you've gotten so much out of it

Quote:
Thank you so much Seona, I've read this post from start to finish in just a few days, I couldn't stop and my head is exploding from all the new info I've got from this post. You've answered every question I had and didn't know who to ask. Thank you so much. I have only one question/request, you said that you bought a child's toy with bells to attract child's attention, can you please post a picture of it or a link to where you got it from ?

Thank you so so much for everything and I just wanted to say , your work is phenomenal and you're my new inspiration.

Yay, happy that it's been helpful to you, the bells I use are very similar to this :

http://www.shopping.com/Hohner-Hohne...ist-Bells/info

And having them around my wrist lets me make noise and hold the camera !
mercersmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of March 2012 (Sat)   #664
CanonGrl01

how long after they fall asleep do you usually wait? Mine kept waking back up
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #665
Joasia

Quote:
how long after they fall asleep do you usually wait? Mine kept waking back up
I also was wondering how long does it take. I was working with a 14-day-old boy last week. He was sleeping like 15 minutes in a position-on his side, and while I was trying to change his pose - he woke up I was really disappointed because I want to learn how to take good photos of newborns and such behaviour of a baby is not my firs time. Hoping for Your advice, Seona)
Joasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2012 (Tue)   #666
tricky500

subscribed.
Old 17th of April 2012 (Tue)   #667
Jeanne95

My inbox is full, well almost - of questions asking about focus, lighting, lenses, photoshop etc etc.
Jeanne95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #668
Stelvio

Hi Seona, this is a fantastic thread and your immense effort in sticking to it is truly appreciated. I wish you nothing but continued success.

I have a question for you (or others) regarding cameras and lenses. I know you use a 5D and a 24-70mm L and 85mm L lens for your work, and I'm interested to know your opinion on how important you think a FF body is for baby/child portraiture and portraiture in general.

I'm using a 40D and a 50mm f1.8 for my (unpaid) work. At the moment I'm just doing short sessions for family friends and my own baby and toddler and I'm happy with the pictures I get, but I could really use a lens upgrade. Finances mean if I want to upgrade I will first need to sell some lenses and indoor space is restricted in my home.

My lenses are;

Canon EF 50mm f.18
Canon EF 50mm f2.5 Compact Macro
Canon EF 70-210 f4

My lens considerations are

Canon 50mm f1.4 (for improved bokeh and IQ compared to 1.8)
Tamron AF 17-50mm 2,8 XR Di II LD ASL (excellent reviews, will give me a bit more freedom working indoors)
Canon EF 85mm f1.8 (for a narrower DOF where space permits me to get some distance/outdoors)
Tamron AF 28-75mm 2,8 XR DI LD ASL SP (fast and long for nice shallow DOF and extra reach, but covers the "normal" 50mm range. Don't need it wider, have that covered)

All things considered, what should be my first upgrade lens over what I have?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Stelvio : 24th of April 2012 (Tue) at 04:23.
Stelvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #669
Gojira1976
User is banned from forums

1.) Umbrella(e), which size for every occasion, and does brand matter?

2.) Mola Setti, are there any alternatives, also, what are they for exactly?

3.) What other strobe related items are needed for most any subject, if possible?

4.) Can one studio strobe, and one flash, say the Vivitar 285HV cover a lot of subjects?

5.) If I used strobes in lieu of backdrops, would I need backdrops ever, also, how can I exactly make my light cancel the need of backdrops, like muslin?

6.) Which type muslin do you prefer to cover a lot of bases i.e different colors, or just Green?

7.) Why do some baby portrait and family portrait studio's use many lights, like for instance 5, is this normal?

6.) How do I photograph vampire's?

6.) SOFTLIGHTER II buy, hold, or sell?

9.) Thank you, and everyone else very much, more questions to come

Last edited by Gojira1976 : 24th of April 2012 (Tue) at 03:56.
Gojira1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #670
dynamitetony

what a great thread.
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #671
drmaxx

Just wanted to say: Thank you for all the great insider tips. I am learning so much! I
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #672
kvn31

Subscribed! Thanks!
Old 12th of May 2012 (Sat)   #673
LostViet408

Great thread! I Learned a lot from reading all the great advices and techniques. Thank-you!
Old 13th of May 2012 (Sun)   #674
Stoo

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for this excellent thread and all your tips. I am mostly a landscape and wildlife photographer but with the very recent birth of my son, I really wanted to capture some proper portraits in his early days and thanks to you I'm happy with what I have managed so far. So here he is, Orin, at 11days old.

Taken with 40D and 50mm 1.8 Mk1. ISO100, f2.8, 1/320 and using only natural light. Processed in Lightroom.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #675
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Just a quick tip/find for everyone. The newest month of Parents magazine has a page with 7 different beanbag/ottomans on it. Page 139. The coolest looking ones to me are the knitted pouf from www.cb2.com, Privet House from target.com, the Fatboy Pouf from www.Fatboyusa.com. They look great for infant photogs! Im probably going to order a privet house here shortly.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote