Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #1
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop

Default Rodeo Shooting - Zone Autofocus

My photography group is going to the Lakeside, CA Rodeo on April 21st. I will be shooting from the stands. My group has seats in section B, rows 1,2,5 and 11. there are 21 rows high in the bleachers. The moderator will be handing out the tickets on a first come first served basis. The difference between row 1 and 11 is about 25 or 30 feet. Row 1 is about 40' (pure guess - could be 60') from the middle of the arena.

I don't usually care about shooting sporting events from the stands but, I enjoy going out with my group. The cost of the ticket is only $16 and the money goes to a good cause.

Here is the seating chart:

I will be shooting with my 7d and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and my 40D with 300mm f/4L IS lens. I will bring my 1.4x TC along but, don't expect to use it unless the action is just too distant for my 300mm lens. I won't be allowed to use my monopod.

Here is my plan. Please comment on it...

I hope to get the first row because I will have the aisle in front of me...

Both Cameras:

I plan on using ISO 400 and shooting in TV mode at 1,000 second shutter speed. The rodeo is during the day between 2PM and 5PM which should be quite bright here in Southern California. The 1/000 second shutter speed should allow apertures from about f/6.3 to f/4 depending on the subject and sun angle. It should also stop any action. The bucking events will come almost straight at the camera fro a bit to the camera left. Roping events will cross the camera from left to right (if they get that far down the arena).

I will shoot in the fastest burst mode the camera is capable of...

I am not sure which metering mode to use - Center Weighted Average or Partial. The lighting will be pretty much from directly overhead.

7D: AI Servo with center spot AF and AF point expansion...

40D: AI Servo with center spot AF

I would appreciate any other tips or comments...
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;

Last edited by RPCrowe : 12th of April 2012 (Thu) at 18:23.
RPCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #2
tracknut

Default Re: Rodeo Shooting - Zone Autofocus

If you know how to shoot in M, do so. If you don't, then you still have some time to practice up - it will be worth the effort. If you don't want to try M, at least use AV rather than TV. You have more control in AV unless you specifically want to restrict the shutter speed to 1/1000 and no faster (which really only makes sense if you're panning for cars, etc).

Dave
tracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #3
ajaffe

There is a photo group in San Diego?
ajaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #4
xchangx

+1 to what Tracknut said. If there are no clouds that day, fire off some shots before it starts and dial in your exposure. If it's during the day, start at ISO 200 or 400. I would shoot at max ap (f4) to try to blur out the background as that will be the most distracting thing. Also, use just your center focus point and the back AF button. When the rider comes out put the center focus point on the rider and press the back AF button. If you are in AI Servo the camera should track the rider.
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #5
HammerCope

Have you checked to see if its even allowed? Most PRCA or PBR rodeos do not let you have any kind of photgraphy equepment.
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #6
JPR Images

I shot a rodeo recently, sat in the top row and shot with 400mm f/2.8 lens in aperture priority using AI Servo center point. All of the images in this gallery were with the 400mm: http://jprimages.com/rodeo/2012/crackerday/bullriding Click on the info tab when viewing a photo for all the camera settings.

Here is an example

Camera model:Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Focal length:400 mm
Max lens aperture:f/2.8
Exposure:1/2000 at f/3.5
Flash:Not fired
Exposure bias:-1/3 EV
Exposure mode:Auto
Exposure prog.:Aperture priority
ISO speed:ISO 320
Metering mode:Pattern

I used evaluative metering
JPR Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #7
joeblack2022
Goldmember

How old is that rider
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #8
HammerCope

If its part of the MBR the ages are 5-15
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #9
JPR Images

I don't know how old the kid was but he looked pretty young and he had a great ride. Here is another one of an older rider.
JPR Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #10
mobei

That looks lower than the top row
mobei is offline   Reply With Quote