Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #1
mystic97z

Default give customer a large file?

i do a little bit of video work on the side, not too much so not very familiar with all these formats and things.

edited and rendered in final cut on mac

the video is 44 minutes long and 17 gig in 720p

i bought a 32 gig flash drive but apparently i found out that they only work in fat32 format on mac and that will limit the file size to 4 gig. so i'm transferring it to an external hard drive then putting it on my windows laptop, then onto the flash drive. Video is playing choppy on my laptop

any easier way for me to deliver this 17g video to my customer?
mystic97z is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #2
jasonlitka

Default Re: give customer a large file?

You're delivering a 720p file that is 50Mbit/s. That's just plain ridiculous and isn't going to play well on anything short of a top-shelf computer without some kind of hardware-acceleration (which many computers have these days, but still).

720p can be typically be pushed down to 5-6 Mbit/s in H.264 without any noticeable quality loss, possibly lower depending on the content.

7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.
jasonlitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #3
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember

Heck no; compress the crap out of that video in Compressor... Even blu-ray disks run about 15-25Mbit/s tops.

...Unless, of course, your "customer" is a network; in which case it would pay to give them the source data. Format the USB as a mac-native HFS+ drive to get big data on there in that case; any respectable network should have macs in house. (crazy big assumption on my part)

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.
Kolor-Pikker is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #4
mystic97z

it's just a video i shot for someone's wedding. i have final cut pro x and compressor, how would i set it up in compressor?

i wish i did this more, i just barely get enough work to keep all my camera gear
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #5
drvideo

If it's a wedding video, you probably want to deliver it to your "customer" in a viewable form for them. Cut a Bluray disk, that's the easiest route for you and the most useful for them.
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #6
mystic97z

The video is still 17 gigs at 720. What settings would I use in compressor? I will buy a blu ray burner
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #7
drvideo

I don't work with a Mac, only Windows with Vegas Pro and Premiere Pro. I can help you with those, but I'm clueless with Mac-based applications. Someone on this forum can help you, I'm sure.

Good luck with it, it's not rocket science, you can do it !
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #8
Talley
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
Heck no; compress the crap out of that video in Compressor... Even blu-ray disks run about 15-25Mbit/s tops.

...Unless, of course, your "customer" is a network; in which case it would pay to give them the source data. Format the USB as a mac-native HFS+ drive to get big data on there in that case; any respectable network should have macs in house. (crazy big assumption on my part)
FYI... the movie avatar hits 45Mbps
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #9
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley View Post

James Cameron is a bit of a nut, though, right?
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #10
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley View Post
Ha ha, ok, let me rephrase that - Most blurays are around 15~30Mbps. And yes he's a nut. 50Mbps is considered "source transparent" which is why few cameras shoot over 50Mbps long-GOP or 100Mbps I-frame.

Anyways, I have FCPX/Compressor too, and looking at the options there it doesn't seem too difficult to get good compression going. Mac stuff is supposed to "just work" right?

Just go to Disc Burning -> H.264 for Blu-ray, drag that onto the project, in the inspector window go to the Encoder tab, click on the little gear next to bit rate, and enter something like 12mbps avg./20mbps max.; this'll get you 5.4GBper hour of source material.

Or under MPEG files use the "MPEG-2 Program stream, 15mbps" preset as-is, should play back on any computer made in the last 5+ years.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker : 25th of April 2012 (Wed) at 03:57.
Kolor-Pikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #11
letsbewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic97z View Post
The video is still 17 gigs at 720. What settings would I use in compressor? I will buy a blu ray burner
before you buy a blu-ray burner, make sure your client has a blu-ray player. would be a bummer if they didn't and you'd already bought the burner. Maybe a dvd would be more universally accessible?
letsbewild is offline   Reply With Quote