FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 11 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 21:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Hollywoodgt
Joined Mar 2011
955 posts
New,Lenox,Il
[MORE/SHARE]

In a very short period of time through seminars etc. I've been lucky enough to build a fairly fast portfolio of pretty models. My question is this, I've seen so many experienced photog shooting girl after girl after girl. Most of which are either not getting paid or have to pay the models.....is it like golf, just something to do on the weekend? Just to try and get better? Most of the images can not be sold. I know most of them have plenty of experience and do not need the practice, yet they keep shooting and paying?

Post #1, Mar 11, 2012 21:55:21

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.comexternal link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyantonexternal link
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
togish1
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,608 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i like to shoot because i just have fun with it...i used to dump money into my car, but now id rather use my time to take photos....i just love taking and editing photos

Post #2, Apr 24, 2012 23:13:20

t5i with kit lens, Canon Nifty Fifty, Sigma 530 super, Nikon SB-24(2), Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 28-135 IS, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/togish1/external link
www.tolgacetinphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

For many people, taking photos of models is a hobby. Great photographers should be able to quickly move from hobby to commercial photography and take pictures of models for small business, commercial, designers, and model clients. I shoot models for commercial clients and paid portfolio shoots every week. I shoot test shoots for exceptional talent about once a month. Part of my business involves connecting models to commercial work and model test shoots help me evaluate models, expand my talent resources, and add great images to my portfolio.

The facts are that many decent photographers who shoot girls do it so they can hang around pretty faces and impress their friends. Several may delude themselves into believing that they will somehow get paid for their skills, but 95% of camera users will never make more than their equipment expenses. Its an ideal match for the growing wave of wannabee models who use Facebook photos to impress their friends.

-Scott

Post #3, Apr 25, 2012 08:55:23

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

nathancarter
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
4,251 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm fortunate that my wife has a lot of hot friends, so I take pictures of them for fun and practice. They're usually game for testing out new techniques, new equipment, or new skills - and the results are often nice enough to go in my port when I'm done. Once in a while they'll pay a little bit, too, such as the pin-up calendar I made for one of the girls to give to her boyfriend for Christmas. Way less than my standard rate, but enough to cover expenses.

Then, armed with those skills and techniques and experience, I can confidently shoot other paying clients. The experimental, edgy, and exciting stuff looks good in a portfolio and gets people's attention, but that's not what sells - the people who buy family portraits and corporate headshots just want standard techniques and even (albeit boring) lighting so that they look good and presentable.

... having said all that, it IS a pretty good excuse to hang around pretty girls and get a lot of compliments on Facebook.

Post #4, Apr 25, 2012 09:24:32

http://www.avidchick.n​etexternal link
http://flickr.com/nath​ancarterexternal link

ATP
Goldmember
Joined May 2009
2,491 posts
Tampa
[MORE/SHARE]

For me its both. I get paid to shoot from models and when I do TFP its either to try no light, tricks etc or for magazine submissions (which in that case the models have to agree).
Also I do it cause I LOOOOOOVVVEEEEEE what I do. Its an addiction. I cant see myself doing something else.

Post #5, May 03, 2012 15:12:03

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
ATPexternal link | FB FAN PAGEexternal link |TWITTERexternal link| Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
1,529 posts
NorCal
[MORE/SHARE]

simple, it's fun :-)

Post #6, May 03, 2012 20:43:36

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

ATP
Goldmember
Joined May 2009
2,491 posts
Tampa
[MORE/SHARE]

phantelope wrote in post #14376031external link
simple, it's fun :-)

exactly..
Its like asking, "why do you fish" LOL Cause I love to fish

Post #7, May 04, 2012 10:31:05

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
ATPexternal link | FB FAN PAGEexternal link |TWITTERexternal link| Flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,877 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do you do it ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES