Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #1
eksekseksg3

Default Using Yonguo-YN560 as radio slave with Canon 580EXII as Master?

Hey there, I was trying to figure out how to use a Yonguo-YN560 as a slave using a Cowboy Studio NPT-04 wireless flash trigger setup, with a Canon 580EXII as the master in E-TTL mode(on a Canon 60D). I know the Yongnuo has to be in either S1 or S2 mode for slave use. When I set it to S1 mode, I saw that it fired noticeably earlier than the shutter release, which I later found out is due to the 580EXII firing off multiple flashes while in E-TTL mode. I tried it in S2 mode, which is apparently supposed to ignore the first flash and only fire on the second, but I get absolutely nothing, the Yongnuo doesn't even fire at all. Let me also note that if I have the Yongnuo in M or S1 mode, when I fire the pilot on my wireless trigger, the Yongnuo fires, but in S2 mode I get nothing from the trigger's pilot. If I try the Yongnuo's on-camera pilot button, it pops fine. I have fresh batteries in everything, so I know that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?
eksekseksg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #2
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Using Yonguo-YN560 as radio slave with Canon 580EXII as Master?

The S1 and S2 modes on the YN560 are for optical triggering from the 580EXII in ETTL on your camera.
If you are using a wireless trigger, it has to be plugged into a sync connection on the camera and a receiver has to be attached to the YN560. Set the YN560 to M. Everything will fire as expected.
dmward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #3
dedsen
Goldmember

Unless you have other Canon slave or Canon compatible slave flashes in the system there is no reason to have the 580ex in master mode. There are too many command flashes issued from a master flash for the 560 to ignore in S1 or S2 mode.
Since Canon Rebelized the 60D and removed the sync port you are going to need a hotshoe adapter if you want a flash in the hotshoe and the wireless trigger connected at the same time.

dedsen is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #4
eksekseksg3

Thanks for the quick responses!

dmward - I tried it in M mode to no avail. Again, it pops with the wireless trigger pilot, but not when I release the shutter.

dedsen - Are you saying I would need something in addition to this wireless trigger setup I'm using? Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N...5326086&sr=1-1
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
tmb99

Don't understand how that trigger fits in as the 580 is on the shoe in ETTL.... but only advice I have is take the 580 off master.

I was having issues trying to get similar setup to work as sync seemed out. 580 off master and it all works well.
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #6
dedsen
Goldmember

How do you have all this equipment connected?
When talking Master/Slave with the Canon proprietary system you need Canon flashes or Canon compatible flashes. If you are just using the simple optical slave sensor, like the YN 560 has, then you DO NOT need the 580ex in master mode. Put the 580ex in manual mode, master mode turned OFF and then on the YN 560 turn the S1 mode to ON. What are you doing with the CB Studio wireless trigger?
The best, most reliable, would be a wireless trigger on the camera and a receiver for EVERY flash you have out there. Using optical slave triggers work ok indoors but can be iffy when outside in bright light. They will also trigger from other photographers flashes if you are working beside someone else.

dedsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #7
eksekseksg3

I have the 580 connected to the receiver that is typically mounted on the camera itself, its the one with the pilot button, its connected using the small cord that came with the trigger setup. I have the yn560 connected to the other one via the hotshoe. I was going to use this setup for a quinceanera I will be shooting on saturday, with the yn560 acting as a hair-light, and the 580 in ETTL on camera as a main flash. I'd rather not use the optical trigger if I don't have to. I do have a 430EXII that I can use, (which I tested and it obviously works just great) but I was hoping to sell the 430 and use the yn560 instead in an effort to save money. I'm a cash-strapped college kid.
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #8
oldvultureface
Goldmember

The "receiver" that's mounted on the camera's hot shoe is a transmitter. Your setup as described will work if both flashes (580 and 560) are in manual mode (not master, not slave, not Canon wireless, just manual). You'll have to adjust power manually on both flashes for exposure.

If the 580 is in E-TTL mode and connected to the CB transmitter with the supplied cord, it will only trigger at full power because there is no communication with the camera other than a fire command from the transmitter.
oldvultureface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #9
eksekseksg3

Ok, well that sort of defeats the purpose. I guess i'll just have to use the 430. :/

Thanks for all the responses folks!