Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #1
jjj5278

Default Kenko extension tubes or Raynox

I currently have the 60mm 2.8 Macro lens and I am looking for more magnification. ATM I can not afford the MP-E 65mm so I am looking to get more magnification from the lens I already have. What would be my best option?
I am also thinking about getting a reverse mounting ring for my 50mm 1.8 but that just scares me. I am afraid the ring will get stuck or something like that and then I am in more trouble, haha. Thoughts?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #2
jjj5278

Default Re: Kenko extension tubes or Raynox

No help? Really? Shoot....
jjj5278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #3
macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop

I use Kenko, been happy for a long time.
macroshooter1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
birderman

why pay Kenko prices ? cheapo alternatives of ebay are just as Good at less than half the cost. At the end of the day there is nothing complicated about the tubes and no integral optics to affect IQ. The choice is really manual or automatic. Manual ones are dirt cheap but then you have no AF, IS or Aperture control of the lens. Difference with the automatic ones is they ensure the camera contacts are linked through the tube to the lens contacts so it doesn't really make sense why such a big difference in cost between the two types.

my photos on Flickr
My Website or my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
Larry Weinman

Get the reversal ring, you shouldn't have any more trouble with that then any other mount. The Raynox will work pretty well on a 60mm macro but it is an 8X diopter and brings you in so close that a macro focus slider is almost a necessity. Franky if you only have money for one go with the tubes. You can start with the short tube and work your way up as you get used to them. Keep in mind that you will lose light with tubes.
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #6
gmillerf

I don't think a 50mm reversed will give you more magnification. So, unless you have a wider angle lens to reverse, then extension tubes are your best bet. And I would prefer to use AF extension tubes over a reverse ring anyway so that you have aperture control.

Reverse rings are a great way to break into macro since they're cheap, but the pain of controlling aperture makes them frustrating for a long-term solution. But I wouldn't be too concerned about using a reverse ring. Even if it does get stuck on the lens, it's still 100% usable, you can still turn it around and mount it on the camera normally. But I used them for a while, and never had an issue.
gmillerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #7
jjj5278

Awesome, thanks everybody! I prefer the Kenko ones since I don't have to manually set everything. When taking pictures of insects that move around I won't have the time to be adjusting settings before taking more pics.
Looks like I will order my extension tubes ASAP so I can practice w/ them.
Old 26th of April 2012 (Thu)   #8
birderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj5278 View Post
Awesome, thanks everybody! I prefer the Kenko ones since I don't have to manually set everything. When taking pictures of insects that move around I won't have the time to be adjusting settings before taking more pics.
Looks like I will order my extension tubes ASAP so I can practice w/ them.
there are much cheaper alternatives to Kenko that do everything automatically, these are what I got and they are well built and work well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1606197923...84.m1497.l2649

These are on the UK ebay but I am sure that they or similar are available on the international Ebay sites.

HTH

my photos on Flickr
My Website or my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #9
jjj5278

Quote:
Originally Posted by birderman View Post
there are much cheaper alternatives to Kenko that do everything automatically, these are what I got and they are well built and work well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1606197923...84.m1497.l2649

These are on the UK ebay but I am sure that they or similar are available on the international Ebay sites.

HTH
Thanks, I will check to see if there any cheaper ones. I just worry something will be faulty w/ the contacts and it messes up my camera or something, haha. I just trust a known name I guess.
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #10
smallpotatoes

I love my Raynox. 1st, I reversed my 50mm. While I got some good shots, it was definitely a bit of a pain. I then ordered some extension tubes through Adorama that supposedly had all the connections, but they didn't work very well. Especially when they were stacked. I returned them and got a Raynox DCR 150 & couldn't be happier. It's so much easier to use than reversing or using tubes. I mostly use it on my 55-250 IS which gives me a lot of versatility. I'm definitely still a beginner with macro, but I've gotten some shots I'm very happy with.

XTi, Tamron 17-50, 55-250 IS, Nifty Fifty, 430EX, Raynox DCR 150
smallpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #11
jjj5278

Those are some great shots. I was thinking of pairing either extension tubes or the Raynox w/ my 60mm Macro lens. I get decent macro shots now, but just want to get closer, and pick up the details in compound eyes, etc. The lighting in your shots is awesome, I need to get bright shots like that!!
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #12
Snowyman
Goldmember

It is worth considering buying better built extension tubes. There are issues with baffling, if the light bounces about down the tubes it creates all sorts of problems. Kenko ones have good baffling, cheaper ones don't but Kenko tubes are not always a good fit. Also the method of locking is flimsy and it is quite easy to loosen a ring. Which at best turns off the auto functions at worst your lens can fall off.

It is worth doing proper research into even cheap macro options as they can end up costing more in the long run.
Blog

Last edited by Snowyman : 29th of April 2012 (Sun) at 06:02.
Snowyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #13
jjj5278

Oh man, so Kenko's are no good for the 60mm macro lens? What else should/could I try so I can more detail in my macro shots?
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #14
Snowyman
Goldmember

I wouldn't say Kenko or tubes in general are no good, just that you do need to be aware of what you are getting for your money. Canon extension tubes cost more money but they are very probably (I don't know for certain) a firmer fit and the locking mechanism is also in all probability better. Also there may well be another extension tube manufacturer that makes a better product. It may even be cheaper than Kenko. But you want to check them out very carefully. Just picking a cheaper option on the say so of one or two people is not something you want to do as there are important things to consider that some people may or may not have considered when offering there advise.

I have a set of Kenko tubes and they are a permanent fixture on my camera while I am on a macro shoot. But I know that the lock is easy to knock off by accident and I have got used to the loose fitting joints moving about.
Blog

Last edited by Snowyman : 30th of April 2012 (Mon) at 06:21.
Snowyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #15
jjj5278

Thanks for the info! I'll look into some Canon ones, maybe I can find some used ones.